Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:34 PM

202 posts, read 356,065 times

Advertisements

Most Alaskans use the phrase "lower 48". But I grew up in logging camps in Southeast Alaska and we always use the phrase "down south" or "going south". As in: "are you going down south this winter?" or "my cousin down south told me about this great new band." We never said "lower 48". My father-in-law, however, was born in Palmer back when Alaska was just a territory. So he refers to the lower 48 as "the states". He gets annoyed when I keep reminding him that we are now a state too...

I moved up here in 81 and going back to the states was how I learned in Dillingham. But also heard a lot about being from Seattle and going back there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:51 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
I have gotten used the "lower 48." The way I understand it, by saying "lower 48" is a short version of "the lower 48 States," which makes sense since the rest of the States are at lower latitudes than Alaska. I have lived in Northern NY, right next to Canada, and people there said, "down South" in reference the Southernmost US States (Alabama, Georgia, Luisiana, and so on).

Now, SE Alaska is sort of South to me; Canada, too

Old 04-09-2014, 02:23 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
I used the term mainland so that the OP would understand that it is not just the islands that are not accesible by road... funny, i keep wanting to put Juneau on an island by mistake and luckiky keep catching myself in time.

Here we hear contiguous states to mean everything but Alaska and Hawaii... We are opposites as there is not too much of the USA to the south of me at the moment.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 16,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I don't I've ever heard any Alaskans use the term "mainland" Alaska.
We usually refer to subdivisions of the state by their geographic location. Southcentral, Southeast, Interior, etc...
Or we'll say "on the road system" or in "the bush". The bush may mean Western Alaska, which would be on "the mainland" or an island in Southeast Alaska, or some rural spot in the Brooks Range. I think we don't distinguish between "mainland" or island when it comes to the bush because either way, you are getting on a plane.
Technically Juneau is "on the mainland." But again, it may as well be on an island, because you are only getting there via air or boat.
And technically Haines & Skagway are on the road system, but are generally grouped into the same category as the rest of Southeast, since it takes most of a day to drive there from the rest of Alaska.

Maybe this wording is just for the areas of Alaska I've been in... Maybe some do call it "mainland..."

Most Alaskans use the phrase "lower 48". But I grew up in logging camps in Southeast Alaska and we always use the phrase "down south" or "going south". As in: "are you going down south this winter?" or "my cousin down south told me about this great new band." We never said "lower 48". My father-in-law, however, was born in Palmer back when Alaska was just a territory. So he refers to the lower 48 as "the states". He gets annoyed when I keep reminding him that we are now a state too...
Everyone on Kodiak refers to it as the mainland

Old 06-12-2014, 03:33 PM

50 posts, read 61,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James.wright27 View Post
My name is James Wright. I just got out of the Army in March of 2014. I am looking at different places to move and start a new life. I have been thinking about moving to Alaska. I currently live in Missouri. I want to go into the Law Enforcement field. My questions are what is a good way to ship house hold goods to Fairbanks? What is it like living in Alaska? I know it's completely different than Missouri living lol. What are some things I need to consider when moving to Alaska.
Hey James,

I am a 3rd generation Alaskan and have lived all over the state. Alaska is pretty awesome so congrats on thinking of moving here.

Fairbanks is cold, we all know this. Things are also expensive. everything is shipped here, all food and goods are shipped and inventory for most services. Rent is super high due to the military COLA and the market baring it to be high. Prepare yourself for $800 for a 1BR. If you want to go dry cabin, that is another cheaper option and if you are an outdoors person it might be the way to go. Pack your water in, do your business in an outhouse. You'd be surprised at how much a single 60W light-bulb can heat an outhouse up at 40 below 0. Dry cabins are about $550 on average.

4WD is preferable, but AWD will due. I have had both. Driving on ice sucks in Fairbanks. They do an awful job at keeping the intersections graveled and people drive ridiculously fast in the winter and then reverse it in the summer and drive like a 90 year old behind an RV. This is driving in Fairbanks.

Breakdown of parts of town in Fairbanks. Most of Fairbanks is what they call "Weed and Seed" which means you will find a total dump house next to a beautiful new structure.

South, Cushman, 23rd: This is a low income area. Urban.
Downtown: Cute older structures, weed and seed, central to everything
Trainer Gate: Near the military base, close to box stores and newer development
Chena Pump Road: Some condos. Mix of college kids, professors and professionals
Chena Hot Springs Road, Farmers Loop, Fox: Rural, hippyish, farming, acreage, off the beaten path but a drive into town
North Pole, Badger Road, Chena HSR: Rural, closer to Eielson AFB, sort of rednecky. 15 miles from Fairbanks.

What is is like here? Well, Alaska is 2/3 the size of the US and have two road systems. That is like only two roads between Minneapolis and Los Angeles and just a handful of towns in between. Thus, the towns are very self sufficient for their size and people really respect the person who can make due with what they have. Duct tape and bungee cords are a man's best friend here. You can drive for hours and see a handful of people and even less "towns" which are really just 20 or less houses that surround a bar or restaurant. Basically there is A LOT of vast space, but bare in mind the majority of it is federal or state owned.

The towns which are not on these two road systems are accessible by boat or air only, thus aviation is a huge thing here. Every town has a runway.

Getting your things here, I would Uhaul it personally. It's expensive. If you have firearms and bows I would mail them to someone or a gunsmith before going through Canada.

If you need anything else or looking at other places, let me know. I have lived all over this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks