U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:17 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,550,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Well they made headline news on tv this morning. Whining and crying about how they were attacked by wolves.
This makes me soooo glad I no longer have TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 01:07 PM

1,764 posts, read 3,811,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No, it can't be done because these so-called environmental organizations (i.e., Sierra Club, National Wildlife Federation, The Wilderness Society, etc.) want to abolish hunting altogether.

I don't know anyone in Alaska who wants to "get rid of wolves entirely." That is pure fiction used to incite over-reaction for the purpose of abolishing all hunting and trapping of wolves.
I think many of those organizations have realized that alienating hunters is seriously counter-productive, and that the only way to come up with a decent solution is a collaborative one.

As far as getting rid of wolves entirely, it's already been done in many parts of the world, including almost all parts of the lower 48 [in the 1900's]. Do you really think it could never happen in Alaska?

Old 12-23-2007, 01:54 PM

13,001 posts, read 14,300,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
I think many of those organizations have realized that alienating hunters is seriously counter-productive, and that the only way to come up with a decent solution is a collaborative one.

As far as getting rid of wolves entirely, it's already been done in many parts of the world, including almost all parts of the lower 48 [in the 1900's]. Do you really think it could never happen in Alaska?
Wolf control has been implemented in Alaska since the early 1900's. Trapping and hunting wolves have also been done in Alaska just as long. If you knew enough about Alaska you would understand that wolves, bears, moose, caribou, and a whole bunch of other animals are not going be exterminated by Alaskans. We manage game and pray in Alaska, and do it in accordance with the law.

I have no idea how you can correlate what happened to the animal populations in the lower-48 back (in at least the 1800's) to the Alaska of today.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
I have to say,

People take their dogs out, and then they freak because a wolf or a bear shows interest in the animals.

I wonder if these same people would tie a 20 or 30 pound 'pet' sea bass onto a leash, and take it swimming with them in an ocean environment where sharks are.

I'm guessing they would, and then they'd want to kill all the sharks in the ocean.
Sharks taste good

Old 12-23-2007, 02:03 PM

1,252 posts, read 91,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
I admit, I don't get it,
There's a drive through coffee joint I saw the other day...

Name of the place was 'Jitters'......

Old 12-23-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
Did those women have multiple interviews that were aired? The one on CNN did not have them making any such assertions. Did you see something from one of the local stations where either they stated such or the anchor inserted their personal view?

Otherwise, one of those women could just as well been my wife (rather conservative--ie less government, more personal choices/responsibility, rather good shot with a relative plethora of rifles and pistols, and has a pretty rational/logical head on her shoulder). But s*it does happen and that is what happened to those women. They WILL be more aware of their surroundings now. But I didn't hear a one of them complaining as to "why doesn't the Government protect me". If they did somewhere else, I'll gladly bad mouth along with everyone else. Point me to it.
Mod Cut

Read the post again...

...and this time, try not interjecting a bunch of oddities that are not addressed in the post.

Last edited by Rance; 12-23-2007 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: I think we can do without the name calling...

Old 12-23-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
We manage game and pray in Alaska, and do it in accordance with the law.

Now, ray

You know as well as I do, that there is definitely some illegal praying going on up here.....

And yes, we do try to manage game, ...we don't always succeed at it, but when the politicians allow the biologists to make the decisions, we do better than when the politicians stick their unwitting noses in.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Now, ray

You know as well as I do, that there is definitely some illegal praying going on up here.....

And yes, we do try to manage game, ...we don't always succeed at it, but when the politicians allow the biologists to make the decisions, we do better than when the politicians stick their unwitting noses in.
Well, the way I see it, the biologists at F&G should do the job Alaska pays them to do. I have no idea of what illegal "praying" is taking place, and I would think that if that was true the perpetrators would have already been charged by either the State, or some of the animal rights groups.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, the way I see it,
ray,

...back up, ...read your quote, twas you who said:

Quote:
We manage game and pray in Alaska, and do it in accordance with the law.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:56 PM

339 posts, read 539,645 times
Quote:
I have to say,

People take their dogs out, and then they freak because a wolf or a bear shows interest in the animals.

I wonder if these same people would tie a 20 or 30 pound 'pet' sea bass onto a leash, and take it swimming with them in an ocean environment where sharks are.

I'm guessing they would, and then they'd want to kill all the sharks in the ocean.
Thanks for the namecalling, nothing like a mature response to help things along Read it again...and the insinuation you made was:

everyone else's theme: talking about the women that local/national news down in Anchorage.

Your theme: People take their dogs out, and then they freak because a wolf or a bear shows interest in the animals. I wonder if these same people would tie a 20 or 30 pound 'pet' sea bass...kill all the sharks in the ocean.

This post was made three posts after my counterpoint about the ability to carry weapons in this particular case (post #44). Your post #47 appeared to be in response to that and the general theme of that particular incident. If it wasn't, I'm almost sorry for my assumption. Mod Cut

Edit: apologies, thought my response was rather cordial compared to what was said to me. Noted and will let it slide next time. /r, icarian

Last edited by icarian; 12-23-2007 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: see edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks