U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-07-2007, 09:02 PM

12,621 posts, read 12,805,736 times
Default Wolves around North Pole and Fairbanks

Every now and then, we have wolves coming into town and eating house pets (dogs, cats, etc.). This has been happening probably forever in Alaska, although years ago the news didn't travel as fast and widespread as it is today. We have had a few dogs devoured by wolves recently, and last week a wolf grabbed a 20-pound dog by the head and ran with it. The dog's owner heard the commotion and chased after the wolf, which dropped the dog. This dog was very lucky, since it survived to have another bark or two, except for a bite hole on the skull.

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner Archive Bold wolves have residents on edge (broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 09:08 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,805,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Every now and then, we have wolves coming into town and eating house pets (dogs, cats, etc.). This has been happening probably forever in Alaska, although years ago the news didn't travel as fast and widespread as it is today. We have had a few dogs devoured by wolves recently, and last week a wolf grabbed a 20-pound dog by the head and ran with it. The dog's owner heard the commotion and chased after the wolf, which dropped the dog. This dog was very lucky, since it survived to have another bark or two, except for a bite hole on the skull.

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner Archive Bold wolves have residents on edge (broken link)
Since we didn't see wolves while we were there, just how big is the average Alaskan wolf?

Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Since we didn't see wolves while we were there, just how big is the average Alaskan wolf?
I have seen some up close, and guessed perhaps 70 pounds maximum. However, I saw a very large black-color wolf while moose hunting a few years ago, and this one had to be way over 100 pounds. It was huge, and walked across my campsite about 75' away from me. I was standing by the fire, not moving, so maybe it didn't notice me. According to F&G, some can reach around 150 pounds.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have seen some up close, and guessed perhaps 70 pounds maximum. However, I saw a very large black-color wolf while moose hunting a few years ago, and this one had to be way over 100 pounds. It was huge, and walked across my campsite about 75' away from me. I was standing by the fire, not moving, so maybe it didn't notice me. According to F&G, some can reach around 150 pounds.
OK so what you're telling me is that, like members of the Genus "Canis" in general, specific Specie vary in size. Canis Familaris, The Dog, goes from teacup Chihuahua to mammoth St. Bernard. Canis Lupus, The wolf, has variation also, probably not as vast as Familiaris (I have trouble imagining a wolf the size of a chihuahua, being able to survive) 70# would be about the size of a normal lab. The 150# puts it in as about the same mass as a Great Dane, probably not as tall, although, Denmark is another subarctic country, the genetics for "tall" had to come from somewhere. But, in general, a large wolf would be the same size as my German Shepherd, somehow I don't think I want Dreifus to meet any of his ancestors. Thanks Ray, for the information.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:46 PM

You are correct. An average wolf would be similar in size to a German Shepherd.

Here is some information about wolves in Alaska:
Wolf: Wildlife Notebook Series - Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Old 12-07-2007, 10:27 PM

20,960 posts, read 21,221,068 times
lost me on the wolfus howlius

Old 12-08-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
lost me on the wolfus howlius
Sorry about that Warptman, it's just the easiest way I know to refer to a specific animal ie. Lupus=wolf in latin, as in lupine, "wolf like", "Canus" is the latin word from which "Canine" is derived, Canine-Dog, Canis Familiaris (familiar) is the familiar form of canine or, Dog as a somewhat domesticated animal, (sometimes I wonder just how domesticated my female shepherd (Jorja) really is) suspect she is "canis semi-familiaris" or, an almost(or somewhat) domesticated dog. OOPS, Sorry, I digress, not a singular failing of mine, is one of my character flaws, a mind that side tracks easily. Right now, they are being quite well behaved, and I am sure that the deer I got last night and is hanging in the shed waiting to be cut into manageable portions has nothing to do with her new found "good behavior" that is the thing with Canus Familiaris, they learn how to act to get what they want.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:57 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,258,278 times
Dusty, my boss got me a t-shirt that may suit you better than me. It says, "My friends think I have ADHD, but I think they... hey, look, a chicken!" LOL

Old 12-08-2007, 10:43 AM

16,893 posts, read 10,366,150 times
The Mackenzie Valley Wolf (canis lupus occidentalis) also known as the Rocky Mountain Wolf, Alaskan Timber Wolf or Canadian Timber Wolf is perhaps the largest sub-species of Grey wolf in North America. They stand 32" to 36" at the shoulder and weigh between 100 and 150 pounds. Which would make them as large, or larger than a Great Dane. The heaviest wolf on record (broken link) was captured in Alaska in 1939 and weighed 175 pounds. The largest dog breed, however, is the English mastiff, which commonly exceeds 200 pounds.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:30 PM

2,485 posts, read 3,661,209 times
But, I think most wolves will make short work of almost any dog. They kill for a living...

A good sized wolf walked down my brothers driveway on the outskirts of Palmer last year. It took a long look at his dog, about a 70 pound mutt, and then kept going back into the woods. The dog just barked once and watched him go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks