Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:15 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YemeniAlaskan View Post
Thank you for making it clear, even though I know all these but doesn't seem like it is striking me, I can handle it. I know about McCandless, I seen the movie too into the wild. I know my sleeping bag handles -5 that being said with clothes on and blankets I'll be sleeping in 60 degrees.

I am not trying to bring arguments or anything..I really loved all your comments guys and I feel you more honest with me than my "past" family and friends.. I am just a person who will go for it no matter what, but with infos from you guys who live there would really make a big help. I appreciate everyone's opinion and the line they drew for I can imagine myself living within your sentences guys.. Hey probably I'll be something in Alaska one day that you guys can come back to this post and say hey this him!
You do not understand temperature ratings of sleeping bags. Either that, OR YOU REALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW ****ING COLD IT IS HERE!

Sleeping bag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can agree with one thing you have said. We will probably read about that Yemeni guy who froze to death in his car snuggled up in his -5*F sleeping bag in -40*F Fairbanks, Alaska and we will ask ourselves if we could have done anything else, said anything different to get you to stay where it is warm.

Last edited by riceme; 12-12-2014 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Basically to be an *******
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:23 PM

63 posts, read 99,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I don't feel like joining the Acura forum so ill respond here. Winter here is hard on your motor. I'd use synthetic motor oil and change it according to the maintenance minder... My truck takes 3 gallons of oil and that is what I do. And the type of driving you'll do to get here isn't as hard as stop and go in a hot environment but it isn't as easy on your motor and transmission as flat highway driving either. Speaking of which, when was the last time you changed that horrifically expensive transmission fluid? IIRC, that's a 15k mile interval change.

I know I said it before but don't drive up here on all season tires in the winter. Severe winter/snow with or without studs. Canada may not even let you in without chains and or winter tires. Some northern roads are the same way.
I am all set with the car maintenance, I believe it is ready for the road trip tomorrow...

Old 12-12-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
You do not understand temperature ratings of sleeping bags:

Sleeping bag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can agree with one thing you have said. We will probably read about that Yemeni guy who froze to death in his car snuggled up in his -5*F sleeping bag in -40*F Fairbanks, Alaska and we will ask ourselves if we could have done anything else, said anything different to get you to stay where it is warm.
I am not living in my car for long time..Only till I get a job that I can pay for a place to stay in. If indeed it drops way below my expectation, I can go in a hotel for the nights until weather goes above the negative.
Besides, temprature doesn't go that often below zero as I keep checking the weather forecast. But o well, you are the one in Alaska you know better

Old 12-12-2014, 08:30 PM

Most important of allll this, will I be honestly welcomed in Alaska despite which city since my car and id shows CT?
I will change my license plate, insurance, and DL when I settle.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 PM

Dakster's advice is 100% on target. Full synthetic is the only way to go. Even when I had an old truck I only ran premium full synthetic motor oil. Now that I have a new truck and you better believe I run premium fluids. You will be sorry if you run conventional oil, especially in a car like that, whether it's sooner or later. He made a valid point that you won't be in stop and go traffic that's tough on your car coming up here, but the weather up here is EXTREMELY tough on vehicles. Cold starts when your motor oil is the consistency of chocolate pudding is the worst possible thing for your motor. You need to be running the best oil in your motor you possibly can, and that is synthetic. Not conventional. That is why there is such a huge price differential.

What kind of tires are you running and how much tread do you have? You must have winter tires.

You need to pull your head out and start listening to the people here who are trying to help you. Speaking of which, what do you plan to do for work once you get here? What is your area of expertise? Do you have a trade? An education?

Old 12-12-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YemeniAlaskan View Post
I am not living in my car for long time..Only till I get a job that I can pay for a place to stay in. If indeed it drops way below my expectation, I can go in a hotel for the nights until weather goes above the negative.
Besides, temprature doesn't go that often below zero as I keep checking the weather forecast. But o well, you are the one in Alaska you know better
Yes, we are the ones in Alaska and we do know better. I don't know what "weather forecast" you're looking at but right now it is -2*F and it will get a few degrees colder later tonight. The high on this day last year was -9*F the low was -13*F. As someone already mentioned, thus far this has been an unseasonably warm winter. You'd best pray it stays that way.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Dakster's advice is 100% on target. Full synthetic is the only way to go. Even when I had an old truck I only ran premium full synthetic motor oil. Now that I have a new truck and you better believe I run premium fluids. You will be sorry if you run conventional oil, especially in a car like that, whether it's sooner or later. He made a valid point that you won't be in stop and go traffic that's tough on your car coming up here, but the weather up here is EXTREMELY tough on vehicles. Cold starts when your motor oil is the consistency of chocolate pudding is the worst possible thing for your motor. You need to be running the best oil in your motor you possibly can, and that is synthetic. Not conventional. That is why there is such a huge price differential.

What kind of tires are you running and how much tread do you have? You must have winter tires.

You need to pull your head out and start listening to the people here who are trying to help you. Speaking of which, what do you plan to do for work once you get here? What is your area of expertise? Do you have a trade? An education?
Alright I am settling with Full Synthetic oil then. Not really sure the brand name but as for the tread I think around %70-%80 left.

For work, I am planning to do anything as I listed some topics on craigslist in different cities:
looking for a job so I can afford surviving

I am more into retail stores or restaurants or hotels..Anything basically that doesn't involve college degree.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:16 PM

Okay so you do not have winter tires. That is a major issue. You need to tell us the brand and type of tires you have, like BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO... you know, the whole thing, not just the brand (you could not possibly have those tires on your car, so please don't tell me you do).

Regular all season tires are plain old rubber and they get hard at low temperatures and basically they just turn into hard balls with no grip. Especially high performance tires, which I suspect you might have on that Acura. High performance tires start to freeze at 20*F. That is 20* ABOVE zero. But it depends on what specific tire you have.

Edited to add this because you will probably care about this more than anything else I've said. When the high performance tires freeze, they crack and it ruins them. You don't want that because they are crazy expensive, right? So give it up.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Okay so you do not have winter tires. That is a major issue. You need to tell us the brand and type of tires you have, like BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO... you know, the whole thing, not just the brand (you could not possibly have those tires on your car, so please don't tell me you do).

Regular all season tires are plain old rubber and they get hard at low temperatures and basically they just turn into hard balls with no grip. Especially high performance tires, which I suspect you might have on that Acura. High performance tires start to freeze at 20*F. That is 20* ABOVE zero. But it depends on what specific tire you have.

Edited to add this because you will probably care about this more than anything else I've said. When the high performance tires freeze, they crack and it ruins them. You don't want that because they are crazy expensive, right? So give it up.
I will let you know the name brand. I bought the car like this 3 months ago so I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

You know, if Forums are real like you can go inside your screen, I'll actually live under this Alaska sections..I am in love with users like you that are knocking some since into me making me realize how I am really not prepared 100%

Old 12-12-2014, 09:34 PM

Okay but don't just tell me the brand, tell me what kind of tires they are too, like below: Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1

You are correct. You are not prepared for Alaska. Neither is your car... and that's a pretty sweet ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks