U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:41 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,400,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
It's a little bigger than a very small town though.
I was going to dispute that point as well but figured I'd let it slide... Fairbanks is a big, gross city to me, but hey... to each his own, right??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 09:51 PM

64 posts, read 72,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
It's a little bigger than a very small town though.
Only if you've never been anywhere else.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:58 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,400,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telzey View Post
Only if you've never been anywhere else.
I've been all over the world and I've lived all over the country. I still think Fairbanks is a big gross city.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:09 PM

15,695 posts, read 25,308,395 times
Fairbanks is not really a big city compared to big cities in the lower-48. However, it is the second largest city in Alaska.

That said, Fairbanks is much like a very large and spread-out neighborhood. You have to consider that Alaska has around 700,000+ residents, most of which are concentrated in Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau. By comparison, Sacramento, CA has over 1-million residents.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-19-2014 at 11:36 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 12:06 AM

Forgot to mention that the city of Fairbanks is relatively small, but the North Start Borough includes Fairbanks, North Pole, Ester, Fox, Chatanika, Two Rivers, Salcha, and the rest of surrounding towns, Army post, and AF base. A lot of people don't realize that what is really large by AK standards is the borough, not Fairbanks.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-20-2014 at 01:03 AM..

Old 12-20-2014, 12:46 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
By comparison Miami-Dade County, Fl has 2.5 million and New York has a whole lot more than that.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
By comparison Miami-Dade County, Fl has 2.5 million and New York has a whole lot more than that.
Very true. Manhattan alone is over 1.5 million, and there are four more boroughs to count. Brooklyn is over 2.5 million.

I certainly don't miss big cities anymore.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:10 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,372,730 times
There are a handful of career fields in Alaska where it's comparatively easy to land living-wage jobs and you have a lot choices as to where to live. Health care, teaching, heavy equipment operation...I don't know anyone with a reasonably clean record and good welding skills who's wanting for work, either. UAF's community college offers a ton of certifications. If you can get a CDL there's a lot you can do with that, too, and sometimes places looking for drivers will train. There are also a number of mining corps in the Interior who are always looking for sober and reliable people.

Fort Greely by Delta just got a bunch of money thrown at it - you might watch for hiring opportunities there. It's not just the defense contracting jobs - more personnel and activity on post means more support jobs as well. In that line, get with the careers offices on JBER, Eielson and Greely if you haven't already.

UAF pays well-ish, better than you're getting now, anyway, and requires a large staff to keep the campus and various extensions up and running. Keep an eye on their job postings.

In the meantime, odd jobs can be a good way to bring in extra cash. Move-out cleaning, snow clearing, wood cutting, dog sitting...lots of things in that vein. There are a bunch of local Facebook groups where you could potentially drum up interest.

Get out and meet people, and let it be known that you're looking for good work. This is a very word-of-mouth region and knowing a guy who knows a guy is often a good way to get first dibs on various short and long term jobs.

There's a boom in tourism jobs in the summer, and most of them are comparatively well-paying for entry level positions; it's a good time to pick up extra money and sock it away for the winter.

Interior is a tough region to live in, but there are a lot of opportunities, too. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
There are a handful of career fields in Alaska where it's comparatively easy to land living-wage jobs and you have a lot choices as to where to live. Health care, teaching, heavy equipment operation...I don't know anyone with a reasonably clean record and good welding skills who's wanting for work, either. UAF's community college offers a ton of certifications. If you can get a CDL there's a lot you can do with that, too, and sometimes places looking for drivers will train. There are also a number of mining corps in the Interior who are always looking for sober and reliable people.

Fort Greely by Delta just got a bunch of money thrown at it - you might watch for hiring opportunities there. It's not just the defense contracting jobs - more personnel and activity on post means more support jobs as well. In that line, get with the careers offices on JBER, Eielson and Greely if you haven't already.

UAF pays well-ish, better than you're getting now, anyway, and requires a large staff to keep the campus and various extensions up and running. Keep an eye on their job postings.

In the meantime, odd jobs can be a good way to bring in extra cash. Move-out cleaning, snow clearing, wood cutting, dog sitting...lots of things in that vein. There are a bunch of local Facebook groups where you could potentially drum up interest.

Interior is a tough region to live in, but there are a lot of opportunities, too. Good luck!
While I agree with you, keep in mind that the State of AK's budget is in the red now, which means that more than likely layoffs will start happening with State workers (schools, university, DOT, etc.). There has been a hiring freeze at UAF and UAA for a few months now. Driving trucks is a possibility, but it's getting more difficult for Class A drivers with new Homeland Security restrictions. Now to drive a commercial truck you must also have a medical card in addition to CDL, and tons of people have CDLs in Alaska. I got my Class A when retiring from the military, but already dropped the Hazmat portion of it.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:20 AM

6,286 posts, read 10,890,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telzey View Post
I grew up in Fairbanks, and still have family there. But thanks for the great example of reverse peristalsis.
So the City of Fairbanks has a popultion of 33,000 and the Fairbanks Northstar Borough's population is over 100,000. I'm glad you grew up there but it seems to have grown a bit since 1930. I'd say that any city that has an international airport with jet serivce directly to the lower 48 qualifies it for more then "small" city status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks