U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:31 PM

29 posts, read 23,898 times

Advertisements

Hahahaha, riceme. You make me laugh, and that's not an easy thing to do. My A/T's are BFG's always have been on both of my trucks. They are not toasted but I was gonna put some news ones on "IF" I get this job and make the trip. I have a friend that lives in Wasilla and he told me that's all he has ever run on his service truck and he has been around Alaska miles and time wise. I have never driven on snow or ice, just sand and desert stuff here in SoCal and Mexico. All I know about driving up your way is go slow and pay attention.! That's why I figured that having the motorcycles in the bed of the truck would add some extra traction. Check your DM's

But, I REALLY do like the fact that everybody on here has good info for those that want to take it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:43 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,400,806 times
If you still have good tread I would inquire about getting a set of BFGs siped and then be really cautious learning to drive in snow and ice. I am super picky about tires and I love the TA K/Os... you can hardly beat them. However, I don't think the oversized tires you have on now will not do you any favors up here. Oh, if you have a lift kit it is THE LAW that you must have mud flaps, and they are serious about it.

Alaska Mud-Flap Regulations | eHow

I have 350 lbs of sand bags in the back of my truck... plus a floor jack, lol. Hey, if you've ever had to change [somebody else's] tire with a bottle jack when it was -40*F you would haul around your floor jack too, haha. Never. Again.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:49 PM

Mud Flaps....??!!! Damn!!!! Well, it has like a four inch lift and these tires are 315's. I have two extra tires on some older rims in the garage and I was thinking about picking up tow more rims and have the movers take those up (IF I get the job). Believe it or not, I was thinking about putting my floor jack in the truck for the trip. Sand in Baja and the desert does the same thing with stock/bottle jacks as snow does I believe. Floor jacks and high lift jacks are the way to go.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:09 PM

Yes, mud flaps, lol. You can be redneck like me and haul around your floor jack in the back of your truck. It's okay, I'll let you. The mechanics I work with all joke that they will have to call Miss Riceme to rescue them when they break down because she has two of everything in her back seat plus a floor jack in the bed.

It's not so much what the snow does to bottle and scissor jacks... it's what -40*F does to your hands and fingers. My spare is also in the back of my truck and not sucked up under it with that ridiculous unobtanium malarkey bs that some idiot engineered a couple decades ago. That is also a no-go at -40.

Oh, and in as many years and hard miles I've put on all the sets of BFGs I've had, I have never (knock on wood) gotten a flat running them. And I've taken them on some pretty rough miles. I used to joke with an old road trip buddy that we were going on a "tire test."

Old 12-31-2014, 11:14 PM

On the tire size. You said the oversize tires wont do me ay favors, what does that mean? I have been looking at dropping down to 285's and they are about 2-3 inches shorter and not as wide by about and inch or more. This snow/ice stuff has me kinda trippin as well as having to drive through Canada for a few days.... Hahahaha

Old 12-31-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
On the tire size. You said the oversize tires wont do me ay favors, what does that mean? I have been looking at dropping down to 285's and they are about 2-3 inches shorter and not as wide by about and inch or more. This snow/ice stuff has me kinda trippin as well as having to drive through Canada for a few days.... Hahahaha
I prefer what I affectionately refer to as "pizza cutter tires"... tall and skinny. Actually they're not tall at all, but being skinny, they appear taller than stock. I find that they do better in mud (of which we have a plethora in Alaska), they did better in my previous life (the perpetual tire test... ever been to the Alabama Hills? Poughkeepsie Gulch?), and they do really well in snow and ice... probably just as well as a fat tire. If you're in deep snow, it is my opinion that they perform better than a big fat tire. Better maneuverability.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:49 PM

I was thinking that might have been the idea. There isn't much I can do about the tires don't really wanna dump a bunch of $ into thin rims and tires at this point. I am hoping that going slow and keeping my head straight will do for now.?! the other tire size I was looking at is not as wide, maybe that would work?? Wish I was there already!!

Old 12-31-2014, 11:53 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
I wonder which direction from Tok he is going 92 miles to get to.

As a lower 48er with no winter driving experience, I find the M+S tires on my Ford F350 (SRW) to be fine as long as I am in 4x4. My wife has studded tires on her FWD car and we like them. I kinda want to jump to snow tires on my F350 as it would make things easier, but for $1200 I think I will deal without.

Riceme - Since you like to own two sets of wheels to change things around, just buy the TPMS reset tool... IIRC it is under $100. Some cars will let you reset them without the tool. FOr example, older volts you could go to s setup menu and raise and lower the tire pressure until the horn honked. But of course ours you need the scan tool...

I will say that 4x4 helps you get going, but won't help you stop. Studs seem to slip a lot less in the stopping department, but they still slip.

Glad you got all the winter stuff to your 2006 done already.

Think about some sort of inside the truck supplemental heater as it takes three forevers to get your diesel truck to blow warm air. And remember to keep your cooler inside the truck and not in the back bed like I did or you end up with a solid block of ice and can't get your drinks out that are also frozen solid.

You'll need to lookup what the flavor of the month for information Canadian and US customs will need for your dogs to travel through. And of course read up on the guns/ammo and food and other goods restrictions are as well. There is alot more, but this should get ou started. Milepost is a good read. Because fuel is so expensive in northern rural canada, I brought a bunch of jerry cans for diesel fuel. Filled up in the lower 48 and then used it to get between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake. And then again to get between Watson and Tok. Sometimes a partial fill up at Haines Junction doesn't hurt either.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:03 AM

Good info Dakster!!! Yeah I have already been told that the movers can move my weapons. Something to do with they have some type of permit to transport them for transit and they have to pack them in a certain manner and what not. I might try to get them to take some of my ammo so I can drop down to the 5000 rounds limit. My truck holds a total of 85 gallons of fuel and I was planning on filling up both tanks before crossing into Canada. I have been trying to figure out their price per gallon and it comes out to some scary number!!! I got the dog paper work figured out and that should be no real problem. I love the flow of info on this board!!! every bit of info is helpful for myself and everybody else that's gonna make the trek North!!!

Old 01-01-2015, 12:14 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
Price per Gallon is Price per liter X 3.78 X exchange rate. They will take American money on a one for one basis, but right now you lose out on about 15%. (1.15 CDN to the USD) Some credit cards don't charge a transaction fee and just give you the exchange rate minus a small spread. Amex, Discover, and Capital One cards are normally good for this. I don't know about the others - might want to call and find out.

Good knews is that your first day of travel, diesel should be around a $1.00 per liter now. (IIRC 1.049 in Alberta Province). Bad news is that it could go up to $1.69 (Beaver Creek, Yukon) for your next two days. Looking at the fuel price websites seems like $1.39 per liter is a good number to look for or beat.

BC (British Colombia) has higher fuel prices, so if you were thinking of taking the Cassiar route up bear than in mind. Plus that way is more remote and the roads are not as good (so I have been told). I will take that route one day - but the route straight up through Calgary and Edmonton is pretty quick and the roads are wide and the speed limits higher. (100 - 120 KPH)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks