U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:11 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that tip -- I usually use the air pressure gauge on the air compressor I have, but I don't have 220V in the garage in the rental house we are in. BUt a good quality one up here that works in the cold would be nice. Bad thing about 80 PSI load E tires, those 12V air compressors take 3 forevers to fill the tire up.

In my F250 the TPMS wouldn't go off until around 45-50 PSI. In my F350 the rear tires go off below 70 - because of course I want to run 60 when empty. The Front tires go off below 55 psi, IIRC. There is a way through the dealer to change those values on the Ford. It should be user adjustable because 80 PSI is for hauling or pulling, but there is no need for 80 PSI when empty.

Why FORD can't tell me the actual PSI of each tire like the Chevy CAR my wife drives I'll never know. Even the entry level Chevy Sonic tells you that.

Cliffo - Have a good night as well and have a safe drive home. This is one of those nights I like staying at home. Especially here on this night, because it is 35F and raining over the snow covered roads. So you are sliding all over the place, the drunks are out, and they are sliding all over the place too. Not a good combo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 03:50 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,400,806 times
^Me too... I run at 60 empty. I would sure like to know how to change the values for my TPMS on the Silverado because right now it's just a big useless sack of crap even if the damn thing did work.... worse than the very definition of a dummy light.

Weird about the difference between the 3/4 ton and the 1-ton Fords... what is the difference in model years? Are they different trim packages? My buddy's wife has the GMC Sierra model of my truck and hers is super fancy (of course)... her dash display tells her the mi/gal, before she got Blizzaks (and did not pay for new sensors) it told her the PSI of each tire,... blah blah blah. But that's a GMC for ya.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:28 PM

Difference is that a 250 has a smaller payload than a 350, which means the tires need to be inflated more to handle the additional payload... THat is all I can come up with. 250s are 65 all 4 tires, 350's the recommended is 80 psi in the back and 65 up front.

Otherwise you guess is as good as mine on that.

I've had several Chevy trucks and even a 2500 Suburban (which they don't make anymore....) There should be a way to change the PSI alarm in those as well. What year do you have and is it gas or a diesel? You can DM me that if you want or post it... I actually have a programmer for 2007 DMAX's and up sitting next to me.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Difference is that a 250 has a smaller payload than a 350, which means the tires need to be inflated more to handle the additional payload... THat is all I can come up with. 250s are 65 all 4 tires, 350's the recommended is 80 psi in the back and 65 up front.

Otherwise you guess is as good as mine on that.

I've had several Chevy trucks and even a 2500 Suburban (which they don't make anymore....) There should be a way to change the PSI alarm in those as well. What year do you have and is it gas or a diesel? You can DM me that if you want or post it... I actually have a programmer for 2007 DMAX's and up sitting next to me.
Right, I understand the difference between a 1-ton and a 3/4 ton, I was just trying to figure out why one would have -- basically -- a dummy light (like mine) while the other gives you a full readout.

I have a 2008 Silverado Crew Cab long bed HD 4WD with the gasoline 6L V8 and the stock 6-speed transmission, which is actually a very nice tranny. They only put the Allison in the Duramax. My cousin thinks we have the Allison in our pickups (we have identical trucks) and I will let him continue to think that because he takes very good care of it and checks the cold and running-temp transmission fluid levels once a month, the nut. If he thought we had stock trannys I am sure that level of commitment would halt so I won't break his heart, lol. When I first bought mine I tried to tell him they didn't put the Ally in the 6L V8 and he argued with me so fervently he actually had me convinced for a minute that was what we had. Then I asked one of my (diesel) mechanics at work and he confirmed.

At any rate I have the 3/4-ton HD, so it is 65 in the front, 80 in the back... same as a 1-ton, but like I said I don't run it at that high of PSI when I'm not hauling a load. Hell, I'd probably wreck on the ice if I did. And that is both factory specs and tire-guy specs... I asked my tire/light and medium duty program supervisor at work because I also thought all 3/4 tons were 65 all the way around.

I didn't know Chevy quit making the Suburban. That kind of bums me out.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:56 PM

29 posts, read 23,898 times
Hahahaha. I went to americas tire the other day so they could check thire tire psi and i heard one guy tell the other to put them at 80 all around. Talk about a bumpy ride til i couldlet some air out.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:17 PM

Chevy quit making the 2500 Suburban. They still make the 1500 one.

Didn't know that 2500 Chevy's did the 80 out back and 65 up front thing either. My 3500 Diesel CHevy with SRW was like that too. Since it is only a couple of hundred bucks to get the 3500 I have stuck with that. Even if it is only overload springs and a sticker. That way I know whatever I put in the bed won't be overweight.

I know that motor and truck well. 6L Gas motor is good for a truck. I don't care for the 5.3 as much in a truck. Not bad for a Tahoe.

I had the allison tranny in my DMAXs... Good tranny but the regular one isn't bad either. I had that in a Yukon XL I owned about 10 years ago. Took Ford and Dodge a long time to come close to those tranny's. (In my opinion). They both finally did as long as you get the Aislin in the Dodge.

I'll ask around and see if the gas trucks can be TPMS programmed for a lower PSI... You must be loving the price of regular gas vs. diesel right now.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Chevy quit making the 2500 Suburban. They still make the 1500 one.

Didn't know that 2500 Chevy's did the 80 out back and 65 up front thing either. My 3500 Diesel CHevy with SRW was like that too. Since it is only a couple of hundred bucks to get the 3500 I have stuck with that. Even if it is only overload springs and a sticker. That way I know whatever I put in the bed won't be overweight.

I know that motor and truck well. 6L Gas motor is good for a truck. I don't care for the 5.3 as much in a truck. Not bad for a Tahoe.

I had the allison tranny in my DMAXs... Good tranny but the regular one isn't bad either. I had that in a Yukon XL I owned about 10 years ago. Took Ford and Dodge a long time to come close to those tranny's. (In my opinion). They both finally did as long as you get the Aislin in the Dodge.

I'll ask around and see if the gas trucks can be TPMS programmed for a lower PSI... You must be loving the price of regular gas vs. diesel right now.
I am really liking the 6.0L motor and I agree with you about the 5.3... it's a soccer mom motor.

I know a guy in Salcha who rebuilds a lot of Allys... I often wonder if it is due to abuse though, and if they've been up on the slope. I'll have to ask him. I have to say that if I was ever going to go diesel I'd get a Cummins, and if I got a Dodge, I'd opt for a manual. I am not a huge fan of automatic transmissions, although I do really like the stock 6 speed in my rig.

You could not be more correct about the price of fuel. It is my business to know the price of diesel, so I have always paid very close attention to the price of crude, diesel, gasoline, etc. I chuckle every time I fill up recently. My dad has two Ford diesels... my mom has a 3/4 ton and my dad has a 1-ton, so they are feeling the pain right now. Plus they're in California, so... sucks to be them.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:14 PM

IF you find out why the Ally's are being rebuilt let me know.

I like the cummins motor, its just the "wrapper" its in on the Dodges. I like manual's too, but those are getting harder to find and come trade in time getting harder to sell. Being able to drive a manual is becoming a diminishing skillset.

I was impressed the Ford dealer I was in had a manual Fiesta and a manual Mustang GT in the showroom - usually those are tucked away in the back lot where only someone knowing what they are looking for can find it.

I do miss the manual transmission cars I had - and then I went automatic as it was hard to find a manual car I wanted to own. And my wife can't drive it and I gave up trying to teach her.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
IF you find out why the Ally's are being rebuilt let me know.

I like the cummins motor, its just the "wrapper" its in on the Dodges. I like manual's too, but those are getting harder to find and come trade in time getting harder to sell. Being able to drive a manual is becoming a diminishing skillset.

I was impressed the Ford dealer I was in had a manual Fiesta and a manual Mustang GT in the showroom - usually those are tucked away in the back lot where only someone knowing what they are looking for can find it.

I do miss the manual transmission cars I had - and then I went automatic as it was hard to find a manual car I wanted to own. And my wife can't drive it and I gave up trying to teach her.
I will let you know if I find out. I suspect it is abuse, but we'll see.

Just to clarify, the Cummins is the only Dodge I would ever consider owning... aside from that, Dodges are against my religion. And Dodge is the only full size pickup you can still get a manual transmission with. Hard to believe, but true according to my research. When I was test driving trucks the only manual I could even find was a '99 3/4-ton Ford. There was a Chevy but it sold the night before I went in. I actually might have considered buying the Ford if the rear diff hadn't been leaking. Aside from that and miles, it was a nice truck and had a lot of features I like... manual transmission, manual locking hubs, manual transfer case.

I agree with you that driving a standard is becoming a diminishing skillset. The Chevy is the first time I have ever driven an automatic besides when I've had rental vehicles. It was hard for me to decide to get an automatic because I fundamentally do not like the idea... 900 more parts to me means 900 more things to go wrong.

I also have manual crank windows in my truck... and I prefer them.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:42 PM

We are in agreement on the Dodge thing too.

I was trying to find out who still made a manual truck. It appears that Chevy doesn't make any manual trucks anymore and I know that Ford had stopped too. I tried to build ones and only autos were available. Although wondering if you could get one in the ranger coming out. (doubt it) Looks like you can get still buy a new Toyota Tacoma with a manual...

My only issue with manual windows are like a manual rear sliding window in a crew cab truck. Rolling the back windows down while driving alone isn't gonna happen. And in a truck the passenger side front is challenging, unless you are over 6' tall with long arms. But I found that the manual windows work all the time, without question.

It's almost funny in that the best vehicle I ever owned was a manual transmission vehicle with manual locks, manual crank windows.... It was a step up from my previous car that didn't have power brakes or steering. (and that one was used and I found out abused....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks