Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:10 PM

29 posts, read 34,207 times

Advertisements

Well. To me this sounds like a lot of the other posts that are out there already, sorry for that! But, I have always dreamed of living in Alaska, in SoCal at the present. I am in the running for a transfer to a job site that is about 92ish miles from Tok. I have been in contact with the people that are there already and I believe I am on the right track as far as getting my truck prepped and getting some very cold weather gear rounded up. At this time I don't have any real pressing questions, just wanted to share my excitement on hopefully getting to make the jump. Yes its a paid move in and out if after 4 years I want to come back to the lower 48. I have a childhood friend that lives in Wasilla and he says it will take about a year to get used to the weather, but after that it should be a dream..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 12:45 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,082,312 times
What year make and model pickup? What are you doing to get it ready?

Old 12-30-2014, 10:21 AM

Hello. Is a 2006 f-250 diesel 4x4 crew cab. I have the block heater hooked up and working, connected a trickle charger. Have the battery blankets, oil pan heater and trans heater and the grill cover on stand by until i find out about the move, i figured i would wait to see if i get up there to change out or test the coolant. Will also put on a new set of all terrains before going also.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:33 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,283,991 times
I just made the drive for the first time in winter, have done it 5 times total. Sounds like you've done some research but you should really think about scratching the all terrain tire idea if you are driving up in the winter. There were more than a few times on the way up I was really glad I had studded snow tires. There are lots of signs saying m+s tires required in winter and for good reason. I wouldn't skimp on the tires. Good Luck.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:14 AM

2,794 posts, read 5,590,465 times
If you are driving up, I'd recommend have The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner for the trip. In my opinion, it's the best guide to the drive.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:53 AM

I have been on the fence about snow/ice tires. I havw talked to some people about this matter. Quite a few says studable tires will be fine and others have said the A/Ts should work, just go slow. Tuis is prob the biggest part of the whole thing. What to do about tires!!! I will be carrying two motorcycles in the bed of the truck, about 700 lbs n just bike weight. I have been looking at the blizzaks in a 285 size, right now the a/ts are 315's. The book, mile post, yeah i am gonna look for that. I have a dog that will be riding with me and i need ro know where we can stay. I have my interview monday and should know more then about the transfer.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:25 PM

863 posts, read 2,071,175 times
Anywhere that's 92 miles from Tok is in a pretty empty part of the world. What type of job are you going for, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 12-31-2014, 07:12 PM

heathen. DM sent

Old 12-31-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I just made the drive for the first time in winter, have done it 5 times total. Sounds like you've done some research but you should really think about scratching the all terrain tire idea if you are driving up in the winter. There were more than a few times on the way up I was really glad I had studded snow tires. There are lots of signs saying m+s tires required in winter and for good reason. I wouldn't skimp on the tires. Good Luck.
In general I would totally agree with you about all terrain tires up here. I never skimp on tires, parts or fluids for my truck. Hell, my rig won't even turn in to a Napa, lol. One exception to the winter tire rule in my universe might be BF Goodrich All Terrain TA K/Os. They are all I've ever ran on my Tacoma and I ran them for one full winter and part of another here and not only did I never have a single issue, I would say their performance was exceptional. But they are an exceptional (and expensive) tire to begin with. It is worth noting that I did not have them studded or siped. The only reason why I bought Blizzaks this season was because when I bought the Silverado it had crappy stock "all-season" tires on it. The Tacoma still has the TA K/Os on it, and I will not buy Blizzaks (or any other winter tire) for it, nor will I sipe or stud the tires.

HOWEVER, I have been driving in the snow and ice, mud, sand, and general crap-ass conditions my whole life. If you are not accustomed to driving in the snow and ice, forget everything I just said and buy Blizzaks... or studded winter tires, I guess. Some people swear by studded tires. I am not one of them, but you get my point.

cliff, you said above that you were considering buying "new" A/Ts... are your current tires toast? You said you were considering Blizzaks... they are a good investment and you would not be disappointed. I have my summer and winter tires both mounted so that I can just swap them back and forth seasonally without having to go to the tire shop. Oh... the dummy light for your tire pressure sensors will cease to function correctly after you start swapping your tires back and forth unless you pay $80/wheel to get the sensors replaced each time you swap your tires. I hope you have a tire pressure gauge . I don't know about anybody else, but that annoys the crap out of me. I asked one of the guys I work with to remove my sensors but he informed me that it is illegal to do so because it is a safety feature. ARRRGH!!

Last edited by riceme; 12-31-2014 at 08:31 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Anywhere that's 92 miles from Tok is in a pretty empty part of the world. What type of job are you going for, if you don't mind my asking?
I was thinking the same thing... that sounds like about 92 miles from nowhere to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks