Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:10 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,265,937 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a pair of bunny boots and love them and my feet get hot if anything. However, My wife has poor circulation in her feet and they are getting cold in her sorels with the liners and even with heavy wool socks. Maybe the sorels liner is to thin? And the boot itself has no insulation besides the liner. We are debating whether to get her some bunny boots or go with some mukluks or something insulated with a heavy liner. Obviously the bunny boots are superior if they get wet, but if there is no chance of getting wet would mukluks be even warmer than bunny boots? Any opinion on THE warmest boot for just around the property with no chance of getting wet?
Going to try a poly pro sock liner underneath the wool sock to see if that helps.

Also plan on picking up another pair of Bata Bunny boots in the future, does anyone know of a good source for these in Fairbanks area? Military surplus stores?

Also does anyone know of a good 2nd hand store besides value village?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 AM

5 posts, read 12,078 times
I live in Fairbanks and have huge issues with my feet being cold and numb. The rest of me is fine though! Despite expedition weight Smartwools , merino hunting socks, etc it is a constant battle. I have tried Sorels with liners( good only in spring for me or above + 20. My bunny boots are great ( for me) to about -10. I bought Baffin mushing boots which are okay to - 30 for me walking the dog. These were purchased at Bug Rays and are my favorite! I also have good luck with felt shoes ( Lobbens) at Prospectors - best to get in sale! Make sure her boots are not the same size as street shoes so to not constrict movement. Just bought thermacells as inserts at Frontier Hardware- they are remote controlled w battery controller in the picket and seem promising. I can't feel the hand and foot warmer packs that last 4-6 hr. Best of luck!!!

Old 01-03-2015, 02:33 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,915,812 times
A thing to keep in mind relating to boots that have fabric, felt, or any other type of fabric insert or insole is that you have to dry then after use for extended periods of time. Perspiration from your feet puts moisture in the insoles which in turn reduces the material's insulating properties. Just pull the insoles out of the boots and place them in a place that is warm (maybe near the wood stove) to let them dry, or just use a set of electric boot dryers.

I bought a pair of Baffin boots at Sportsman Warehouse when on sale, and they are pretty good.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:55 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,465,769 times
6.7traveler - We used VV and also looked in the salvation army store in Anchorage. Not sure if they have one in Fairbanks though.

VV was much more organized than Salvation Army, but there are things to be found.

ALSO - Check craigslist and Alaskaslist.com - we found a lot of our furniture that way from people moving out. But I also see clothes on those sites too.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:05 AM

Thanks everyone, looks like we may try the baffins and get them a size or two bigger. If those or other warmer boots don't work maybe we will have to try the thermacells. I had no idea they had battery powered socks.

I am up at 1am waiting for the auroras but haven't seen any tonight

Old 01-03-2015, 04:06 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,465,769 times
I think they are supposed to hit tomorrow and Sunday night.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:35 PM

Hi there, I was the person posting about the thermacells. They are a bit pricey and were given to me as a gift. Personally, I would buy a pair of Baffins first because they are great for all round boots if circulation is a problem with really really cold feet and are nearly the same price as boots. The battery operated socks where you attach the battery pack to your calf or waist we're hard to find last winter when I looked in Fairbanks and micella, but I was also told that they do not work as well in the cold temps. When the root problem is circulation it really is quite challenging as it is not the gear you are putting on but more so your internal system. It sounds silly but I certainly am always moving my feet if I am standing still and outside for more than about 20 minutes. I would always be marching, etc. You get the drift! Certainly, trying to avoid any type of frostbite is important because then you're more susceptible at later times!

The suggestion about always making sure the interlinings are dry is excellent! I pull out the liners and dry them daily but still tend to have this challenge. My doctor feels that I may have Raynauds , mostly affecting my feet and thankfully not my hands, in the feet but I don't have the typical presentation with white or blue skin. They are completely freezing cold to the touch though when other people do not seem to be having a problem. This happens even with my bunny boots and Baffins on. For going to work back-and-forth to the car I find that the Lobban shoes are much lighter weight and I tend to do okay in those! Wearing just leather or suede slip on shoes are lifers for the two minute walk from my car to work leaves my feet numb, even with good socks. Friend is also told me that peppermint oil can be helpful to increase circulation. I have been trying that but have not really noticed a difference at this point.

I would agree with others that certainly your wife trying on the boots is the way to go! Have her bring whatever her typical socks (which I hope is a midweight smart wool or something similar)and also a heavyweight sock in case you were to be driving somewhere and get stuck. When I initially arrived I bought a pair of Sorel's at Value Village. . I have bought a ton of things from VV which have worked great as well as have found a Gore-Tex parka and a pair of Gore-Tex boots at the transfer station (along with a sewing machine)- ha!! In my opinion, bottom line buying something you find at Big or Prospectors ( rather than VV) would down the line be less costly than replacing cheaper beats you find on sale at Fred's or Sports Authority. I bought my buddy boots at the NAPA store in Wasilla but I'm sure you can find them up here also! In Nov 2013 I paid $170 for the Baffin at Rays ( - 148 women's Musher Pac Boot, size 10 and I wear a street shoe women's 9) and about $60 for the bunny boots. The Thermacell heated insoles, wireless and chargeable- last 4 hrs on each charge were $120 at Frontiers in Dec 2014. Typing this on my phone- hope it was helpful!

Old 01-03-2015, 02:41 PM

Sorry for the really long post 6.7. Sounds like you have a plan! Happy Aurora hunting!

Old 01-03-2015, 06:21 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,065,558 times
Sorels are good for running around town but not for actually being in the cold unless you have the ones rated to 70 below. I recommend a trip to Value Village on Airport next door to Sears... the cross street is Market and there is a frontage road. It's behind some weird Batteries and Bulbs store that looks closed but is not. You will want to remember that weird little store if you ever the glass on your cell phone. They fix it for cheap. Anyhow, VV is behind it.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:31 PM

Thanks smullins, I think we are going to pick up the baffins tomorrow. It looks like it is going to get cold here in the next couple days. Hopefully I have better luck tonight with the aurora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks