Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
It doesn't it is perma-frost
Just wait and try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:49 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
We used an electric fence that was ran off a unit that we placed in our house. It sent out a dome of electrical shock. Worked great. I don't think there were any wires, but it has been about ten years so my memory can be a little off.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 PM

406 posts, read 756,375 times
Here is a hole I dug in permafrost the other day. Yes that is a 55 gallon barrel. New outhouse hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Fencing on Permafrost?-100_9279.jpg  

Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Newbie question here.... How do I tell if I have permafrost. According to my neighbor he didn't do anything special for his foundation and has no permafrost... I also dug down about 4 feet today and nothing was frozen. In fact it was quite clayey and mucky. My land is about 80% black spruce and 20% poplar if that is any help.

I guess I could maybe google "how to tell if you have permafrost" but it's much more fun asking you guys.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Newbie question here.... How do I tell if I have permafrost. According to my neighbor he didn't do anything special for his foundation and has no permafrost... I also dug down about 4 feet today and nothing was frozen. In fact it was quite clayey and mucky. My land is about 80% black spruce and 20% poplar if that is any help.

I guess I could maybe google "how to tell if you have permafrost" but it's much more fun asking you guys.
Only proper drilling will let you know for sure. Or my husband who is a permafrost expert)

Old 04-24-2015, 04:11 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
Black spruce is usually a bad indicator for permafrost, but where you're at, a mix of aspen or poplar probably indicates that you don't have it. Around Delta, most of our permafrost is near-surface, since the well drained glaciofluvial parent material isn't very far down. If you were digging through unfrozen material at four feet, it's very unlikely you're on permafrost.

The soil was frozen for at least a little ways at the top, right? Did you hit gravel within four feet? If not, it's probably not much further down.

Unless I'm very wrong, the muckiness is probably just due to break up and will dry out in a month or so.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:43 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Thanks. The ground was still frozen on top in spots and completely thawed in others. Gravel starts at about 3 feet down. Hopefully it dries up a little more soon. I will be renting a backhoe at some point this summer for a project and will dig down as far is it will go and see what I find.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:23 PM

406 posts, read 756,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

If you can't tell after you start digging in Aug then I can't help you..... Permafrost can also be below a layer that thaws annually. As someone above posted the way to know what you really have is to have a core sample taken by an expert. If you have enough money to do that in a remote sight well......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: