Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:49 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,063,560 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone.

One of my sisters is coming for 10-days around Christmas and I'm trying to think of places and activities to take her on. I had planned to take her (among other things) mushing, skijoring, downhill skiing, snowmachine rides... a bunch of things like that, some of which she will still do (without me).

The problem is that I had (unplanned) major shoulder surgery in October, and while my range of motion is getting better, when I oh-so-hopefully asked my Physical Therapist if I could do any of these things yet she jokingly asked if I was smoking crack. Soooo I'm thinking that was a "no."

Soooo...

Creamer's Field
Aurora Lodge (up on Cleary Summit) to see the lights
take niece to the ice sculptures
Chena Hot Springs
...???

Also, there is another little twist. She is a vegan. She does well dealing with that at our family homes, where the rest of us eat meat and dairy. She relaxes the dairy rule and brings groceries, then cooks some dishes for herself. Anyone know of local restaurants that serve vegan fare? It's not like I can take her to the Turtle Club (I live in Fox), but I'd like to be able to take her out.

I wouldn't be worried about it but she is one of those people that likes to have every single damned thing planned out and will commence to bugging the crap out of me the moment the wheels touch down on the tarmac. Must be prepared.

Thanks, y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 09:57 PM

131 posts, read 155,044 times
Take her down to ANK and book a flight in a P-51 (only a mere $1,000 for an hour flight plus an hour pre-instruction).

Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockskipper View Post
Take her down to ANK and book a flight in a P-51 (only a mere $1,000 for an hour flight plus an hour pre-instruction).
My cousin and I both have friends with planes so we're going to see if someone can take her up, but I can guarantee you the fee will be more to the tune of a case of beer and not a grand!

But yeah, wouldn't a P-51 be cool??!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:32 PM

Well, be sure to take her to the Alaska brewing company, they sure have good espresso, or so I've been told, and good pizza, though probably not vegan. Hows about the big museum on campus? I heard that was cool. Hmmmm.....Barrow? That's it! You could drive up the Dalton in winter.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:44 PM

I will definitely take her to Hoodoo, Silver Gulch and Alaska Coffee Roasting Co... the Gulch is just down the road from my humble abode. She gets in at midnight Saturday, so I think I'll take her to brunch on Sunday. I can get them to make her something vegan... ish. lol

Good idea on the museum... I had not thought of that!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:50 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant, Alaska Coffee Roasting Co. With only four hours of daylight any sightseeing will be tough.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:01 PM

I figured that's what you meant. I would enjoy a drive up the Dalton in the winter, but I don't think she would. Ditto to Arctic Circle.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,459,009 times
I think the Fountainhead Auto Museum - Fairbanks Antique Car Museums | Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum, Alaska - is a great place to go. Not sure if your sister would be into the antique autos and motorcycles, but the vintage fashions they have there might interest her.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
I think the Fountainhead Auto Museum - Fairbanks Antique Car Museums | Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum, Alaska - is a great place to go. Not sure if your sister would be into the antique autos and motorcycles, but the vintage fashions they have there might interest her.
Another great idea, thank you! I'm not sure how much it will interest her but it definitely interests me and I have not yet been, so I will find some way to sell it to her, lol. Our cousin is really into vintage bikes and has restored a couple of them, so he might want to come with even if he's been before.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:49 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,902,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I will definitely take her to Hoodoo, Silver Gulch and Alaska Coffee Roasting Co... the Gulch is just down the road from my humble abode. She gets in at midnight Saturday, so I think I'll take her to brunch on Sunday. I can get them to make her something vegan... ish. lol

Good idea on the museum... I had not thought of that!
All good choices.

Vegan? Then she can't eat a delicious fillet of mignon at the Valatta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks