Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 11:19 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
I been looking for jobs. I had a phone interview for a job in Anchorage.
Just wait until you have a job in Alaska before moving, because it will be very expensive, and the Alaska's economy is in a downturn at the moment. Layoffs are coming, specially in the public sector (schools, libraries, DOT, DMV, and so on).

If you have a job in the lower-48, what I would do is to work hard, and save my money. Since you are young, you can wait until our economy recovers, them move to Alaska if you can. Now is not the best time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 01:42 PM

341 posts, read 412,392 times
Moving to Anchorage--what should we bring from lower 48?

Old 01-03-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Is a hybrid really better for the environment? Ever conducted research on battery disposal?

37k isn't a lot of money to live in Anchorage. Could you live in Chicago on that amount?
Do you fish for food or fish to release? Do you hunt?
There is a national guard unit in Anchorage, which would be good for you.
As far as what you want...Anchorage is a normal city. I think you would be very hard pressed to find an apartment or condo in Anchorage that has electricity for your block heater. Luckily all the shopping centers have community outlets. Just arrive early, and expect to leave your car plugged in for at least two hours. Not only are dry cabins readily available in Anchorage, so are dry apartment and condos. They are much better on the environment. Just don't drink the grey water.
I've changed my mind, your Prius would be perfectly fine making the winter drive up here. I think it would do very good on the rough roads, with a cheap set of tires. The roads in Anchorage are in pretty good shape. Very few potholes and very little grime on them. So as long as you make it through the hundred plus mile stretches without service stations, you should be good. Watch out for the raccoons...a run in with one of them might total your Prius. Nevermind, coons aren't up here, but those wolverines would whoop your hippy car to shreds. Make sure you let them finish with your car before you jump put to stop the fight.

Apartments can be had for very little. Ask Pittsflyer about the rental market in Anchorage.
National Guard and the outdoors? Like one month a year? lol...spoken like a true guardsman/reservist.

I would get the engine block, but you can seriously skip the oil pan heater. It doesn't get cold enough in Anchorage to justify the cost. As far as the cost of a block heater and installation...you have google? You have a phone book? Call your local toyota dealership and inquire.

Another tidbit of advice. You will be considered a nonresident for hunting and fishing for your first year up here. Take that into consideration. $37k is not a lot of money. Pitt thinks you need $100k a year, but I think a single person can make it on 40k or more. 37k could work, if you are frugal and don't spend a lot of money commuting.
Who is Pittsflyer? Anchorage only been around since 1917. From what I reserach there are lots of 'newbies' in Anchorage. Anyone know if I am better renting or owning? I would prefer running water. I just need a studio nothing big. Also I would get better tires from my car. I am reading an milepost I got from the library. It is a few years old but i am ordering a newer one for myself. For hunting and fishing, I know a little on fishing and nothing on hunting. I would really like to learn more on hunting and fishing. Also learn how to process the animals into food. Is there places that teach that?

I do have some money saved up but waiting to get a job before I move. I have a phone interview with an NPO called Camp Fire Alaska/Camp Fire USA. I sent them some more information they asked for. Anyone know anything about them? Other then the google.com information?

You have all be brutally honest and I appreciate it. I hate when people candy coat the truth. Anyways Happy New Years.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:33 AM

I have no idea, why Anchorage. Why do we do lot of the things we do in life? I want to stay in the USA but want a change. I am not moving till I have a job. And I am not trolling.

Happy New Year.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:29 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Good luck with whatever you end up doing TGPII....

Old 01-06-2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Good luck with whatever you end up doing TGPII....
What is the difference between a Borough and a County? Did the City and County of Anchorage merge to make Municipality of Anchorage? Who, what, were, when, why and how on the merge? I got a second phone interview for a job in Anchorage next week.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:34 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,020 times
Once upon a time there was the borough of Anchorage and the City of Anchorage. after a vot by the residents of both they merged and formed the Municipality of Anchorage. I still have never found anyone who will admit that they voted for it! The rest of the story you can find through Google.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Once upon a time there was the borough of Anchorage and the City of Anchorage. after a vot by the residents of both they merged and formed the Municipality of Anchorage. I still have never found anyone who will admit that they voted for it! The rest of the story you can find through Google.

Is Borough Alaskan for County? Or is a Borough more like a township?

Happy New Year

Old 01-06-2016, 02:40 AM

More like a county

Old 01-06-2016, 02:44 AM

try this http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~akgenweb/statemap.gif

I think you will find one of them is larger than Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks