U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:26 PM

341 posts, read 367,715 times

Advertisements

So I currently live near Chicago, Illinois. I applied for a job in Fairbanks Alaska making really good money. I was wondering if anyone has anything on Fairbanks or Alaska in general. I am single and would relocate on my own. The job is 90 K a year at Ft Wainwright My dad side is Italian but the Ukrainian, Polish mom side loves the cold. Currently I drive a 2012 Toyota Prius C with 50 k miles on it would that be worth driving there. Anything you can tell me please let me know. I do please appreciate anyone who has been to Fairbanks or Alaska. Also can you please send me non Google stuff. I do know more in town you get a home with electric and indoor plumbing. Thanks

Happy Holidays,

Tom
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 12:51 AM

536 posts, read 1,611,743 times

First of all, I wouldn't recommend driving a Prius C to Fairbanks. It is a long, harsh, remote, and potentially dangerous drive. Unless you fully are prepared and know what you are getting yourself into, I wouldn't do it. It probably would be okay once in town, but in the winter, you might struggle mightily. I did decent enough driving a Ford Taurus in Fairbanks, but a small All Wheel Drive vehicle or 4x4 would be optimal.

Second, WOW. Big huge geographic shift there. I can say that Fairbanks is going to be a huge shift. A lot of poverty, boarded up buildings, and overall, it isn't the greatest place on earth. Yes, there are beautiful areas around Fairbanks, but you are still an isolated community in the middle of Alaska's harsh north.

Weather can take a beating on people, the climate is very harsh. The near 24hrs of darkness in winter can get to you, as can the near 24 hours of sunlight. It can really mess with your body clock. Depression is a big problem here, as is drinking, drugs, and other issues related to depression. Winter gets really cold, ice, snow, and air pollution is a major issue, as it stagnates.

Yes the money is good, but moving there on your own is a pretty radical shift. If you can afford it, I would visit the town first. It is like nothing in the lower 48. Yes we have chain stores, but even those are fairly recent to the city. Once you are here, you are kind of stuck.

With $90k you would be in the upper bracket of money making in Fairbanks, and live comfortably, especially as a single person. The dating scene is as hard as you make it. You would need to join clubs, church groups, etc, to probably find people. It's cold, people stay indoors.

Make sure you get a good house, because many homes rely on wood fireplaces still. When you get snowed in, you want to be prepared. You thankfully now have many choices to get prepped with Fred Meyer (my fav), Walmart, and others.
nkf
I'm not trying to scare you away, it is just a radically different lifestyle and culture then Illinois.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-20-2015, 11:41 AM

Default Thank you and . . .

First off thank you for actually information from someone who has been there. Your not someone who did a quick Google search to get points on City Data. I know its a big shift. Out side of town I heard of dry cabins/home. How about in town? Do they plow roads? I heard do to climate change there is less snow. Can you find homes or condos with water, heat (that is not a tank, wood etc?). I just need a good job and willing to do anything for it. I love cold weather. Were did you move from and why? Thanks.

Happy Holidays

Old 12-20-2015, 12:06 PM

2,769 posts, read 5,063,003 times
If you make the drive, I would highly recommend having a copy of The Bible of North Country Travel - The MILEPOST .
Also, relocating to Alaska if discussed in depth in many other threads on this forum. Be sure and give them a good read.
Roads are plowed and sanded. But sometimes it takes a few days to get to all the roads. And Fairbanks is notorious for it's ice fog, which can really make the roads slick. So be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get where you are going...
90K for Fairbanks is a good wage.
It's sounds like you've done some housing research. You know that dry cabin rentals are an option if you are looking to save on your budget. Otherwise, you'll find typically rental housing in Fairbanks.
You said you love cold weather... I hope you'll come back to this forum and tell us your impression of things when it hits 40 and 50 below zero... Even if you love cold weather, you can not fathom how those temperatures feel until you've endured them.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:34 PM

Default Could you please point me to the best thread? Do you need a passport to go through Canada? Its has been negative 40 in

Could you please point me to the best thread? Do you need a passport to go through Canada? Its has been negative 40 in Chicago before. Also Alaska is the big thing now for reality TV. Are all towns dry or only the remote Native American towns? How is cost/standard of living compare to the lower 48? How do you use an out house when its negative 40? Do all homes have there own tanks for heat? There were days were Chicago was colder or had more snow then parts of Alaska!

Old 12-20-2015, 04:29 PM

1,930 posts, read 1,860,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
Could you please point me to the best thread? Do you need a passport to go through Canada? Its has been negative 40 in Chicago before. Also Alaska is the big thing now for reality TV. Are all towns dry or only the remote Native American towns? How is cost/standard of living compare to the lower 48? How do you use an out house when its negative 40? Do all homes have there own tanks for heat? There were days were Chicago was colder or had more snow then parts of Alaska!
Buddy we ain't talking -40 windchill. Chicago's record low is -10...that stood for 130 years. Windchill is irrelevant if you are wearing good gear(don't buy anything that isn't wind proof).

Many bush communities are damp or wet (that you are calling towns). Some are dry (I'm assuming you are talking alcohol?), but I wouldn't call them towns. Towns need roads to connect to other towns.
How old are you? Canada is a sovereign country. Yes. You do need a passport to reenter the U.S. 9/11 changed the way we entered our country from Mexico and Canada.

Cost/standard of living. Depends on you. Generally speaking the cost of living will be higher but comparable to many large cities of you live in the city. Something's are more expensive (I paid $15/gallon of milk in previous location). Standard of living? Depends on you. I personally think the fresh air and the lack of pollution makes the standard of living better.

Outhouse at -40? Only if you absolutely have to. Honey pots come into play here.

Every home should have a way to be heated. How? Depends on the house. Fairbanks is a city. You will be fine.

Chicago could have lower temps or more snow that Alaska at times. But not sustained. I'd dare say that since the lowest temp for Chicago is -10 which was a record low you can't compare Chicago to Fairbanks. Fairbanks is way colder than anchorage. -10 (your coldest ever) is 30 degrees warmer than a typical winter day in Fairbanks.

Last piece of advise...turn off the tv.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:44 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,619,308 times
^More importantly, it is cold for a long time. Once the snow sticks in the fall it doesn't melt until April. This year we got our first snow on August 28th, so that can be a helluva long time. My first winter here all I wanted in the whole world was to smell the earth... soil. I felt like I hadn't smelled soil in years.

Long cold winters do funny things to people.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:51 PM

35,102 posts, read 47,914,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post

You should be sure you have the job first, then start preparing and why would you drive through Canada to get to Alaska? I can tell you that you will have to have either a Passport or a Passport Card to get into Canada from the USA, and have exact amount of toll to get back into the USA, they do not give change.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:43 AM

1,930 posts, read 1,860,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
^More importantly, it is cold for a long time. Once the snow sticks in the fall it doesn't melt until April. This year we got our first snow on August 28th, so that can be a helluva long time. My first winter here all I wanted in the whole world was to smell the earth... soil. I felt like I hadn't smelled soil in years.

Long cold winters do funny things to people.
Not sure why I didn't mention the length. Lol.

I do find myself waiting for green grass.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:53 AM

24,044 posts, read 32,365,509 times
Driving a Prius to Alaska in the winter is stupid. Just fly up and check it as luggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks