U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 08:18 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,400,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I've asked Lynden for a quote (since they already run to Manley), both from Mt Shasta (where the seller is based, and also as a freight forward from Seattle), both for roadside drop and Fairbanks pick-up, so I should get four prices off them and I can pick the most cost effective. Or at least go shopping with one quote in hand around other freight companies.

For me the return is infinite.

Golden Valley quoted $40,000 for running a line to my place, for the privilege of the bill. Do they know what kind of renewable set up you could get for that...? Plus the GV plant nearest us has some serious issues, I think we have more stable power than the people on the GV plant do (we've never been out of power in 6 years, even at 50 below).

In comparison to self-gen with a genny, it's expected payback is around 3 years taking into account Generator maintenance, replacements, and gas (and assuming we only achieve 1/2 the reduction in Gen use to current). Which you can't complain about.
I would venture a guess that AFF would come in as least-cost carrier, but they might give you flak about hauling it out to Manley and it won't get up here in any hot-hurry. Any way you slice it, mile for mile, that will be the most expensive leg of the route if you choose to go that way. If you have the means to do it, it would probably be most effective just to go grab it after it comes into Fairbanks. I know a guy that would probably haul it out there for you too. I can ask him if you want.

Holy Mother Teresa!! $40k?? They're out of their damn minds. I don't know much about solar power, but I worked in renewables in wind turbine manufacturing for a long time... where I come from in the hills outside of town a fair percentage of the homes have their own wind turbines and now many have solar setups too. Anyway, sounds like you'd recover your investment pretty quick, haha. GVEA... bunch of crooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 09:45 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,204,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I would venture a guess that AFF would come in as least-cost carrier, but they might give you flak about hauling it out to Manley and it won't get up here in any hot-hurry. Any way you slice it, mile for mile, that will be the most expensive leg of the route if you choose to go that way. If you have the means to do it, it would probably be most effective just to go grab it after it comes into Fairbanks. I know a guy that would probably haul it out there for you too. I can ask him if you want.
Well here's the thing. It costs around $150 or so per truck to go to Fairbanks (gas and wear and tear) and back for security I'd prefer 2 trucks (600lbs of batteries sliding into 350lbs of panels may not look too pretty even at low speeds). So if they can get here for $300 ($2/mile give or take)... Then it makes financial sense, more than that and it's better financially to go get them. Of course if I had a 1 ton or bigger flatbed with lots of tied down points and D-rings then I could do it in one trip and probably cheaper than $300 all in, but as I don't...

Quote:
Holy Mother Teresa!! $40k?? They're out of their damn minds. I don't know much about solar power, but I worked in renewables in wind turbine manufacturing for a long time... where I come from in the hills outside of town a fair percentage of the homes have their own wind turbines and now many have solar setups too. Anyway, sounds like you'd recover your investment pretty quick, haha. GVEA... bunch of crooks.
Yeah that was in 2009 too, I almost went and checked the mirror to make sure something rude hadn't been tattooed on my forehead.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Well here's the thing. It costs around $150 or so per truck to go to Fairbanks (gas and wear and tear) and back for security I'd prefer 2 trucks (600lbs of batteries sliding into 350lbs of panels may not look too pretty even at low speeds). So if they can get here for $300 ($2/mile give or take)... Then it makes financial sense, more than that and it's better financially to go get them. Of course if I had a 1 ton or bigger flatbed with lots of tied down points and D-rings then I could do it in one trip and probably cheaper than $300 all in, but as I don't...

Yeah that was in 2009 too, I almost went and checked the mirror to make sure something rude hadn't been tattooed on my forehead.
If memory serves, North Pole to past Cleary Summit (from town) is generally $110 to haul a trailer. He's run from town to Salcha to up around Cleary Summit for $80, 150# (I can't make the math work on that so I don't ask questions, but then, I get about 9 mi/gal, so... go figure). Don't know if it makes a difference that I am a regular customer. You could put the batteries in the back of a pickup and the panels on a trailer if you could transfer the batteries one by one once you got them to Manley.

To hell with GVEA. I would love to be off the grid. It's a lot of work even in a nice climate, so I admire you.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
If memory serves, North Pole to past Cleary Summit (from town) is generally $110 to haul a trailer. He's run from town to Salcha to up around Cleary Summit for $80, 150# (I can't make the math work on that so I don't ask questions, but then, I get about 9 mi/gal, so... go figure). Don't know if it makes a difference that I am a regular customer. You could put the batteries in the back of a pickup and the panels on a trailer if you could transfer the batteries one by one once you got them to Manley.

To hell with GVEA. I would love to be off the grid. It's a lot of work even in a nice climate, so I admire you.
Yeah I could use a trailer (it's not like I haven't rented a trailer from U-Haul before... Last time, I kept a 18"x3' board (that I'd forgotten about until I saw it wheeling down the road behind me) on the back step until I got over Ptarmigan

Well Lynden gave me a quote, and I'm wondering if we're speaking the same language, because I think I'm speaking English, and they seem to be speaking Japanese.

They want $1,460 to ship Fife to pick up on Peger.

Now color me a little confused, because the sellers have quoted me $1605 from Mt Shasta CA to Fairbanks, so around $250 for transit across the L48, to Seattle. The $1,460 plus shipping to Seattle will probably exceed the $1605 shipping cost, so there's something not right somewhere.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:41 PM

It gets tough to compare quotes without looking at all the information that went into each quote... like what's the timing of the deliveries, who are the land, sea (and air) carriers on each leg of the route, did one of the quotes get brokered out to a freight board and that's why it's so low (the load might get dropped and therefore delayed), is one of the carriers dedicated and carrying it all the way through (superior service that you probably don't need since you're in no hurry).

I would still ask Carlile & AFF for quotes to see what they come back with, just for fun if nothing else.

That's pretty funny about the UHaul. lol

Old 04-19-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
It gets tough to compare quotes without looking at all the information that went into each quote... like what's the timing of the deliveries, who are the land, sea (and air) carriers on each leg of the route, did one of the quotes get brokered out to a freight board and that's why it's so low (the load might get dropped and therefore delayed), is one of the carriers dedicated and carrying it all the way through (superior service that you probably don't need since you're in no hurry).

I would still ask Carlile & AFF for quotes to see what they come back with, just for fun if nothing else.

That's pretty funny about the UHaul. lol
Well, I'm not going with Lynden, I asked for a breakdown, see if we could come to some compromise, figure out the price that the "sales" just blew me off and said if my seller could provide the total path shipment to go with them.

Way to go anonymous sales person at Lynden. You get sales person of the week.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm not going with Lynden, I asked for a breakdown, see if we could come to some compromise, figure out the price that the "sales" just blew me off and said if my seller could provide the total path shipment to go with them.

Way to go anonymous sales person at Lynden. You get sales person of the week.
Oh that would really **** me off. It should be real simple for the person who gave you the quote to give you a breakdown of the cost per leg of the route... It should look exactly like this:

Mt Shasta to Fife = $x
Fife to Anchorage = $y
Anchorage to Fairbanks = $z

Total cost of quote = $x + y + z

The salesperson is correct in the sense that if it is a LTL shipment it could go off-path on one of those legs (most likely being Mt Shasta to Fife) but that's not going to change the numbers.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Oh that would really **** me off. It should be real simple for the person who gave you the quote to give you a breakdown of the cost per leg of the route... It should look exactly like this:

Mt Shasta to Fife = $x
Fife to Anchorage = $y
Anchorage to Fairbanks = $z

Total cost of quote = $x + y + z

The salesperson is correct in the sense that if it is a LTL shipment it could go off-path on one of those legs (most likely being Mt Shasta to Fife) but that's not going to change the numbers.
Well agreed, but if it being LTL and supposed to go Shasta->Portland, but has to go Shasta-> Eugene and Eugene->Portland it's the same price. Must admit my wife knew when I read the mail that it kind of rubbed me up the wrong way, I think it was the flash of intense white light springing from my ears as my brain turned momentarily incandescent. Rule of thumb with me is I have one emotion but I do it really well, it's p*ssed, my normal state is unemotional.

Anyway there's bigger issues. Apparently if I ship (me arranging shipping) I "buy" in California, so I have to pay sales tax on the full order, however if they ship to me any point outside of CA, it's not a local purchase and isn't eligible to be taxed, the tax isn't an insignificant amount. My bad on that one, because I totally spaced that factoid. So it seems it's cheaper to buy in AK, even with the AK premium, which isn't too bad a deal and makes returns because of faults a damn sight easier.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:34 PM

lol, I have three emotions: unemotional, pretty freakin' hilarious, and p*ssed. Fortunately for others, I spend most of my time in the first two states and very little time in the last.

Ugh, you pretty much need a lawyer to proof the small print in order to buy anything in California.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:33 AM

742 posts, read 468,295 times
No help with the batteries but have you looked at Amazon? with Prime free shipping found these http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-V...0955011&sr=8-1 There are also some lower priced ones with free shipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks