U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 04:50 PM

15 posts, read 12,210 times

Advertisements

I follow all these Alaska forums because I hope to move there someday, and I am curious: how do you guys go about your daily lives when it is that cold? I mean seriously, how does it affect you? How do you have to dress just to go to work and back? What do you do with the cars? (I understand you have engine block warmers you plug in to electricity) but what else? I mean, what is it really like?

I would like to visit when it's super cold sometime, just to see what it's like. I don't anticipate living in the interior even if I do someday get lucky enough to be able to move to AK, but it is interesting to hear about. I worked there from May to September in 2015 and it broke my heart to have to go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 05:49 PM

1,532 posts, read 880,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaToAlaska2015 View Post
I follow all these Alaska forums because I hope to move there someday, and I am curious: how do you guys go about your daily lives when it is that cold? I mean seriously, how does it affect you? How do you have to dress just to go to work and back? What do you do with the cars? (I understand you have engine block warmers you plug in to electricity) but what else? I mean, what is it really like?

I would like to visit when it's super cold sometime, just to see what it's like. I don't anticipate living in the interior even if I do someday get lucky enough to be able to move to AK, but it is interesting to hear about. I worked there from May to September in 2015 and it broke my heart to have to go home.
We go about our daily lives the same way you do. I don't have to bundle up to go to work. I walk from my house to my car. My car to my school. I do dress up for recess though.

It's actually harder in the summer with the bugs IMO.

As far as the car, I have engine block heaters but I've only plugged it in once. I just wake up and hit remote start. Let it run for 10 minutes, then hit remote start again just before we load the kids up.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:26 PM

15,695 posts, read 25,308,395 times
Default Well, the snow only postponed the "Fairbanks global cooling"

Here we go again
Sunday 15 January, 2017
National Weather Service

Quote:
Tonight
Flurries before 9pm, then periods of snow, mainly after 3am. Areas of freezing fog before 9pm, then areas of freezing fog after 3am. Temperature falling to near -28 by 8pm, then rising to around -14 during the remainder of the night. East wind around 5 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

M.L.King Day
Periods of snow. Areas of freezing fog. High near -9. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Monday Night
Snow likely before 9pm, then scattered snow showers between 9pm and 3am. Areas of freezing fog before 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -27. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tuesday
Partly sunny, with a high near -24. Wind chill values as low as -50. South wind around 5 mph.

Tuesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around -47. Southeast wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday
A 10 percent chance of snow after 3pm. Partly sunny, with a high near -30.

Wednesday Night
A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -45.

Thursday
A chance of snow, mainly before 3pm. Partly sunny, with a high near -30.

Thursday Night
A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -41.

Friday
A slight chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near -24.

Friday Night
A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -38.

Saturday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near -19.
Saturday
NightMostly cloudy, with a low around -25.

Sunday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near -21.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:14 PM

573 posts, read 775,711 times
Yup more snow on the way:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FAIRBANKS AK
359 PM AKST SUN JAN 15 2017

AKZ222-161500-
/O.CON.PAFG.WW.Y.0015.170116T1200Z-170117T1500Z/
MIDDLE TANANA VALLEY-
INCLUDING FAIRBANKS, FORT WAINWRIGHT, EIELSON AFB, ESTER,
NORTH POLE, MOOSE CREEK, TWO RIVERS, FOX, CHATANIKA,
CHENA HOT SPRINGS, AND SOURDOUGH CAMP
359 PM AKST SUN JAN 15 2017

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM MONDAY TO
6 AM AKST TUESDAY...

* SNOW...4 TO 7 INCHES...HEAVIEST EAST OF FAIRBANKS.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL INCREASE TONIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES
DURING THE DAY MONDAY. SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT
BEFORE DIMINISHING TUESDAY MORNING.

And then getting colder through the week as Ray shows.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:29 AM

2,057 posts, read 964,469 times
Wow, maybe you will see -40. Pretty warm in these parts just now. Wet too.

(In Juneau, temperatures were 5 degrees above normal Thursday and 10 degrees above normal Friday. Temperatures Saturday were also 10 degrees above normal.

At Juneau International Airport, 1.14 inches of precipitation — mostly rain — was recorded Friday. Another half-inch of rain fell before 2 p.m. Saturday.)

Old 01-16-2017, 01:02 PM

The weather forecast is changing very fast. Every time that the snow comes in, the cold front is pushed back a little. The very cold temperatures forecasted were supposed to take place late last week, but we got snow instead. Lets see what happens Tuesday night.

But so far can't complain

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-16-2017 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,545,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaToAlaska2015 View Post

Chemical heat packs in bulk from Costco in your shoes, a nice fur Russian hat, northface jacket and gloves and your good to walk from your car to a building. If you don't have a garage things can get more complicated because those kind of temps are hard on mechanical parts even if you have a block heater, block heater does not warm up your differentials, transfer case or transmission.

You have to have MONEY to live in Alaska and not suffer. Lately the summers have been brutally hot as well and my one room AC unit has ran up my electric bill.

I would say the heated garage and the shoe heat packs are key though.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:13 PM

Supposed to get down from -45 to -55 tonight, but we will see what happens. I just drove by Badger Road near the Army post, and the car's thermometer showed -34, but it is -38 by the Airport in Fairbanks

Old 01-18-2017, 09:57 AM

2,057 posts, read 964,469 times
You made it! Maybe colder tonight.

Current conditions at
Fairbanks, Fairbanks International Airport (PAFA)
Lat: 64.8°NLon: 147.88°WElev: 433ft.

Freezing Fog
-45°F
-43°C
Humidity NA
Wind Speed Calm
Barometer 29.57 in (1003.9 mb)
Dewpoint N/A
Visibility 0.50 mi
Last update 18 Jan 5:53 am AKST

Old 01-18-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
You made it! Maybe colder tonight.

Current conditions at
Fairbanks, Fairbanks International Airport (PAFA)
Lat: 64.8°NLon: 147.88°WElev: 433ft.

Freezing Fog
-45°F
-43°C
Humidity NA
Wind Speed Calm
Barometer 29.57 in (1003.9 mb)
Dewpoint N/A
Visibility 0.50 mi
Last update 18 Jan 5:53 am AKST
Brrr...! It was -48 at the airport this morning (Wednesday).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks