Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:34 PM

30 posts, read 53,274 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip there around mid February. How cold is it then typically? I'm planning on staying there 4 nights. Is that too much/too little time? Will it be a good time to see the Aurora? Hopefully there will be some clear days and nights. Chena Hot Springs looks like a really neat place!

PS; How does one even go outside in some of the winter temperatures Fairbanks gets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 05:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
It's hard to say how cold it's going to be -- temperatures vary so wildly from year to year. Last time I was there was 2010 I believe, it averaged around 10 above, I guess. Chena's run down, overpriced, and owned by one of the state's leading shysters, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy your stay there. It'll be full of Japanese tourists during that time, but they're good, polite people.

Here's how to get the most out of a trip to Chena -- go down the road to Angel Creek Lodge as often as possible. Their little restaurant/bar was a lifesaver -- hope it's still there.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:34 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
Did you already book 4 nights?

Chena hot springs is pretty cool, and the hot springs are amazing. The colder it is outside there the cooler the hot springs are IMO.

I'd personally only stay there one or two nights max and experience something different and new the other two nights of my trip.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
The last time we were there, they had a viewing room so to speak, so you basically sit inside and can watch northern lights through a large window. And there was a room nearby to warm up and get coffee or tea. You can check here for solar wind speed and other technical data, and see the Current Auroral Oval map: SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

And you can check the sky here to see if there is anything showing prior to stepping out in the cold.

Alaska Aurora Cam - Northern Lights Webcam in Fairbanks, Alaska - The Aurora Chasers™

Old 01-13-2017, 10:15 PM

30 posts, read 53,274 times
I didn't book yet. The place seems a bit overpriced upon reading what they offer. The Ice Museum tour is $15, and an additional $15 for a cocktail in an ice glass. I think the drink should be included in the tour. They seem to charge for every activity, so it can get expensive there. Why do they get so many Japanese tourists?

Old 01-13-2017, 11:40 PM

^yes nickel and dimed for everything....

It's popular with japenese tourists because it's considered good luck and good fortune for them to concieve a child under the aurora borealis. Their sole reason for coming is to do "it" under the northern nights as much as possible. Don't get any hot spring water in your mouth and avoid close cuddling couples in the spring pool..... Who knows what's going on underneath the dark water

Nice people though.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:07 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
ewww never again, thanks 67

I liked the cocktail (appletini if I recall correctly). It was overpriced, but probably a better value than the other overpriced stuff, and some of the ice carving was incredible. If I were doing that trip again, I'd book a cabin at Angel Creek and visit Chena for a meal or two.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-14-2017 at 01:15 AM..

Old 01-14-2017, 10:28 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeTravel View Post
..Will it be a good time to see the Aurora?
Yes it should be, but no guarantees.

I've bookmarked the following page, which you may have looked at already. ABOUT THE AURORA -

Someday I'd like to do a winter/early spring aurora trip too, though not sure it will be to Chena after reading some of the posts here.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:22 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
They do have some decent food there. That smoked salmon fettuccini was really good. And enough to feed two people.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:30 PM

They have Alaskan resident deals and other deals in the offseason (I think until December 15th but I'm not sure). When I lived closer to Fairbanks, I'd just go for the day/evening and drive back saving big $ not having to pay for a room. I'd recommend the place to anyone, I just couldn't imagine spending 4 days there.

Of course none of this info helps OP's February trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks