Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:07 PM

55 posts, read 52,789 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to AK this summer as a UAF student. I have been told by my advisor that he has heaters on the battery, engine, transmission, and differentials. I don't know if this is excessive, but I want my vehicle to be fine this winter without me spending any unnecessary money. I can probably do most of this work myself, but I just don't know what is actually necessary. I also don't know if there's anything that my advisor didn't mention. My truck normally takes 5W-30 oil. Should I change that to something else? Are there other fluids that need to be changed to something specialized for extreme cold? What ratio of coolant and water do people of the Interior usually have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 12:49 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
I've never heard of a diff heater. But, you will want battery, block, oil pan and tranny heaters. If you're planning to do the work yourself, be warned that the block heater can be a b*tch. It seems like we have had a lot of debate here about fluids in the past, but I am a proponent of good quality full synthetic oil... I run Mobil 1 synthetic. 5w20 or 0w20. I actively dislike conventional oil and wouldn't run it unless I was forced to, although others here disagree. And yes, must get the antifreeze good down to... geez, I don't even know what mine is. Probably -60*F, I guess. There is a device called a coolant protection tester that tells you what temperature your antifreeze is good to.

Oh, HEET. You will want to pour a bottle of HEET into the gas tank one a month or so during the winter.

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/heet-faqs

Old 05-29-2017, 06:44 PM

So I assume I'll be fine sticking with 5W-30, seeing as the 5W is what matters in cold weather. I think I'll stick with Amsoil, though. Slightly better performance over Mobil1 and I can get it cheaper. How about other fluids? Do they make gearbox oil, diff oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, or bearing grease specifically for cold weather? If so, are any of them necessary?

Old 05-29-2017, 07:17 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Can you get amsoil here?

Old 05-29-2017, 07:19 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
I've never been in Fairbanks, but when we were in the village, we didn't use anything special other than the heaters.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:03 PM

I don't know that you can get Amsoil cheaper up here, but if you can find it, I'd agree it's probably better than Mobil 1. I used to run Schaffer in my pickup but I couldn't find it up here, so after much research... Mobil 1. I thought a lot about Amsoil when I switched, but I was worried about not being able to get it in the future, even if I could get it at the time. Supply is an issue here... for pretty much anything.

Anyhow, try this guy...

AMSOIL Dealer in Fairbanks, Alaska (AK) United States

There are no special fluids or grease. Just heaters, antifreeze and being prepared to break down when it's -40*F. You'll want to look into winter tires when it comes time. Some people like studded tires. I do not. I've always gotten Blizzaks but next time around I'm getting Hakkapeliittas.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:52 PM

I can get Amsoil shipped to me for wholesale prices. I forgot what it's called, but I'm "subscribed" to a program of their's that gives me dealer prices without actually being a dealer. Unlike Amazon, they charge me for shipping, so maybe in a faraway place like AK, it won't be cheaper anymore.

It's good that I won't need to change any of the more obscure fluids. I may have the competency, but I lack a lot of the equipment. I'm definitely not financially able to hire a mechanic.

Winter tires were also on my mind and I imagine that you can keep them on year round in AK. I believe the rule of thumb is normal tires begin to harden at around +40F. The downside to using winter tires above that temperature is simply excessive wear. I'd bet that it isn't above 40 for long enough in the year to be worth buying normal tires.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:10 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Your winter tires will wear down very fast in the summer. It was hot as balls today and will be for a few more months. Definitely enough warm time to wear down the winter tires fast.

Be forewarned, Even a simple oil change becomes hard to DIY when it's subzero and you have no garage because you're renting a dry cabin or an apartment.

No matter how you slice it and how much you prepare, a fairbanks winter will definitely age and be hard on the vehicle. Especially if it's not in a heated garage. You'll cringe at the sounds your car makes when it attempts to start up, even if it's been plugged in.

I forgot all about winter. We shouldn't be discussing this until at least September. I'm thinking about preparing my vehicle for winter by driving it south and not stopping until everyone speaks Spanish .

Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

Be forewarned, Even a simple oil change becomes hard to DIY when it's subzero and you have no garage because you're renting a dry cabin or an apartment.
6.7 is preaching the gospel.

"Knuckle buster" takes on an entirely new meaning when it's -20*F or -40*F. Simple tasks are no longer just chores, they can be miserable. Don't forget that it's dark all winter, too. So, headlamps... bring headlamps.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:33 PM

Unless there's some environmental effects I'm unaware of, I plan to change my oil once a year, so I would save that occasion for the summer. All those high end synthetic oils are good for around 15-20k miles. There's even a few Euro cars that come with factory oil that doesn't need to be changed until 25k miles. Of course, you'll never find that oil again and will have to do the next oil change sooner. Your right about other jobs, though. I can't predict when the need for corrective maintenance will appear, and knowing my luck it will be in the middle of winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks