Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:44 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,049,421 times

Advertisements

ON THE OTHER HAND, you have no 4-year reason to go. And your daughter might be better suited to a CT university..... and then there's the house which sounds as though you would be unhappy to give up and it could be a financial loss..... AND -- there is pizza in Fairbanks, but not NYC perfect pizza (okay, that's a judgment call).

An odd thing I learned, which you probably did too: the Benjamin Franklin path to decisions. Which consists of one large piece of paper, two columns titled PRO and CON, and a good pen. And once you and Mrs. Bamozee get a good fat list, you get to rewrite it based on your real mutual priorities.

I don't live in Alaska (and someone else kindly sent info to your daughter). I wanted to move to Fairbanks, then decided I really do live in heaven so if it ain't broke, why fix it? (I live near Seattle.) I replied to you because I do lurk around the AK and CT forums, and I can relate profoundly to someone with wanderlust. I worked in Tokyo for 11 years, in NYC for many years, Montana, Arizona, Oregon... you get the idea. So I understand wanderlust.

Maybe your infatuation with Alaska can be fed, and analyzed, by a vacation visit? Maybe post-retirement is the time to change your lives?...

Have fun with the Ben Franklin game! Don't forget that no matter what path you choose, Life will always show you the best it has to offer you from that path. Go forth in joy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 12:57 AM

3 posts, read 11,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamozee420 View Post
Hello everyone! I just found this site and just signed up. I need your help/advice. i know you all probably have to answer these type of questions over and over but I hope you can help me with this tough decision I have to make. I am in the Air Force and am currently stationed in Hanscom AFB, MA (although I live in Connecticut, which is home state). I was recently informed that I have a 4 year tour to Eielson AFB and would arrive there this July if I take the assignment. I have visited Ankorage once in 1996 for 7 days and really liked it. I am nervous about Eielson as it is much more remote but I am stationed with 2 people who lived there and loved it. I do not hunt, hardly fish, and do not do much winter sports. I do love the idea of exploring the beautiful landscape and would definately purchase ATV and possible boat. I just want to know what you think of the area. are any of you from the New England area? Can you also let me know what type of stores that are there too? I have a wife, a 17 year old daughter, and a 7 year old son. ANY help would be appreciated! I am half nervous and half excited at the same time.
If you are looking for an adventure, and to be able to say...I lived in Alaska, go with your excited feelings! My husband just retired from Eielson last year. We have been here since August 1999, and though I can admit that after 9 years, we are thinking of relocating somtime in the future, I do not regret my time here at all! It is an amazing place, and although I don't do many "outdoor activities" myself, I love camping here. My husband and kids on the other hand love 4-wheeling, snow machining, hunting, fishing, etc. I love 24 hours of daylight in the summer. My 3 kids have all attended school on Eielson and I work at the high school. We don't have a lot of electives because we are a small school, but if your daughter enjoys extra curricular activities, this is the school to be in. Every kid here has the opportunity to do just about anything they desire. After moving here from New Mexico schools with large populations, my kids were thrilled with the small school atmosphere. The winters can be harsh, but this place is a total experience. Yes, we are more remote, but I can tell you, in the 9 years I have been here the place keeps growing much to the chagrin of true "sourdoughs", but also to the joy of the large military community we have here. We do not have a mall, if that is what you enjoy, but Anchorage has some decent ones, and it makes for a nice 3 day weekend trip. The biggest thing is to make sure you travel the state while you're here and get the whole Alaskan experience, you can't just "be" in Alaska, you have to experience Alaska, otherwise you WILL hate it. Even if you think you're not an outdoor kind of person, you might just find it an invigorating 4 year experience!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:03 PM

5 posts, read 28,650 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you for your advice/insight! One thing I will eventually miss when I retire (no matter what decison I make), will be leaving my Air force "family". I do not think anyone who has ever served, regardless of what branch, can ever really know how we take care of one another. You can go anywhere and never feel alone or without friends.

If I move to Alaska I will most likely go ahead of the family for the first 10 months or so. This way my daughter can graduate here with her friends. It is important to her. Plus I can have the time for my wife to sell the house without rushing and getting killed in the market! You are the 3rd person to respond to me (2nd who lives there) and all have been positive. Is there anything that I should do in advance ot purchase here that may be hard to get there?

D

Old 05-17-2008, 10:56 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,650,043 times
You can pretty much get what ever you need here in AK and our prices are fairly similar depending on what your shopping for. There are top of the line clothing stores, as well as Walmarts and Fred Meyers in the bigger towns. Other than bringing your own fuel (prices are on a steady rise) you may as well not burden yourself with too much stuff if your flying up.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:08 AM

Default Thanks Rance

Thanks. I will probably drive, too tempting to not make that part of the move. Gas prices here in CT cannot possibly be higher thank there, I hope not! I just filled up at $4.07 a gallon! We are in the wrong business my friend! I would think that Alaska residents (and I guess Texas also), would be a little upset. Thank you!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 AM

58 posts, read 168,672 times
FSU2008- if you look for housing in fairbanks you'll be among lord knows how many families from wainwright looking for housing too. wainwright doesn't have enough housing right now for the number of people assigned there, so until they get a lot more on-post housing, the options in fairbanks will be very limited and expensive.

Bamozee420- my husband and i moved to fort greely back in january. u should definitely move up here! we drove from NC in january, and yes for the first couple months there were several times when we thought wtf have we gotten ourselves into!?!? but its so incredible. its the most gorgeous place ive ever seen. it's an adventure! but luckily for you and your family civilization isn't too far away (we're 2 hours from fairbanks) but it's all good, we get to see more moose and hand feed ground squirrels lets see in fairbanks, which is about 30 min from eielson, theres a walmart, lowes, home depot, fred meyer, safeway, petco, sportsmans wearhouse, shoe store, bookstore, old navy (your daughter will be happy about that!!) a few thrift stores, Sams, michaels craft store, Joanns craft store, office depot (or one of those office supply stores) car dealerships and shops. restaurants- mcdonalds, burger king (on eielson and wainwright), carls jr, chilis, Bostons pizza, pizza hut, taco bell, gambardellos (italian), a mexican restaurant, theres some little shops downtown in fairbanks, a movie theatre. theres quite a bit in fairbanks! in north pole theres mcdonalds, wendys, safeways, a little mall (if you can call it that) with an electronics/ game store and a couple other little stores, pizza hut, taco bell, blockbuster, a couple gas stations. alright, well now that ive listed practically everything in both cities if theres anything else you wanna know about just let me know! good luck!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:10 PM

Thank you! I haven't been on this site for about a week so I just read this. I can only imagine how beautiful the area is! -60 is not very appealing, but lakes, forests, mountains....

Where is Fort Greely? Which direction from Eielson? If we come to Alaska we will live on Eielson AFB. As much as I hate the idea of going from owning a home to base housing, it looks like the best option. Plus, no utility bill! CT is getting crazy anyway. Regular gas is $419 and climbing everday! Plus CT kills you in property taxes, it has to be in the top 5. It will be strange living somehere again that isn't Yankee/Red Sox talk 24-7!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:32 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,896,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamozee420 View Post
Thank you! I haven't been on this site for about a week so I just read this. I can only imagine how beautiful the area is! -60 is not very appealing, but lakes, forests, mountains....

Where is Fort Greely? Which direction from Eielson? If we come to Alaska we will live on Eielson AFB. As much as I hate the idea of going from owning a home to base housing, it looks like the best option. Plus, no utility bill! CT is getting crazy anyway. Regular gas is $419 and climbing everday! Plus CT kills you in property taxes, it has to be in the top 5. It will be strange living somehere again that isn't Yankee/Red Sox talk 24-7!
Property taxes are very high in this area, and so fuel. Most homes are heated by boilers and furnaces that run on heating fuel. Heating fuel is expected to cost over $5.00 per gallon by winter-if the present trend continues. Over a month ago, with heating fuel around $3.52 per gallon, my monthly cost for electricity and heating fuel war $600.00. That is: 12 months x $600.00! Some of my neighbors were paying around $800.00 already.

One of my coworkers sold his home and moved to an apartment, because the cost of heating fuel, electricity, and property taxes was more than renting a large apartment. A 2-bedroom apartment averages around $1,200 per months plus utilities already. That's something newcomers to Alaska will find out once they get here.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:56 PM

404 posts, read 747,022 times
I have been working at Eielson full time for 18 years. Been in the same house in fairbanks for 24 years. The drive is no big deal the cost of fuel today is! I carpool. You can live in north pole and then drive to Fairbanks all the time or you can live in Fairbanks and drive to work........ Schools are all about the same.... Sales tax in North Pole.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:57 AM

67 posts, read 228,273 times
Just got to Eielson last week and have already explored Fairbanks quite a bit. There is a Walmart, Old Navy, Fred Meyer, which has a clothing section, the scale somewhere between JCPenney and Macy's, an upscale grocery store, and a little bit of everything else, about the same scale as Kohl's. There is also a Gottschalks department store, which is like a small version of Macy's. Kind of.

There are fast food chains like Taco Bell and McDonalds. There is a Denny's and a Chili's, also. Everyone told us Chili's was the only place to eat, but I think those people must be to reliant on "chains", because we've already found several privately owned restaurants that have pretty good food.

There's a fairly pathetic Radio Shack... oh, and a Barnes and Nobles, Lowes, Home Depot.... a big shoe store, Petco... that's all I can think of right now.

As for living in Fairbanks while being stationed at Eielson... that 21 miles is longer than you think it is, and I wouldn't underestimate the weather here... I wouldn't want to drive it everyday in the winter when it's -40... and I'm pretty tough, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks