Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 06:59 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times

Advertisements

When do the leaves start changing color in Fairbanks Alaska area?

When is fall color at its peak usually?

Please and thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
When do the leaves start changing color in Fairbanks Alaska area?

When is fall color at its peak usually?

Please and thank you
Most times by mid August the birch leaves start turning yellow, then peak around mid September. Right now there are some leaves left on the birch around Fairbanks, but most have fallen toward Chena Lakes in North Pole. This usually happens on summers that are cool and rainy like this year.

But in years where dry and warm summers stretch through September, we usually have plenty of yellow color birch leaves on the trees as October nears.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:14 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
It's over in the Goldstream Valley. Already turning brown. Peak was probably two weeks ago, maybe? But Ray is right - depends on the weather.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:14 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
It's over in the Goldstream Valley. Already turning brown. Peak was probably two weeks ago, maybe? But Ray is right - depends on the weather.
I take it that today things look more like winter minus the snowpack today in early October? That would mean peak foliage usually occurs around September 15th give or take a few days? Hmmm.... interesting I suppose the weather the last few days has been the Alaskan “Indian summer”, heard it got to near 70 F the other day, hope people got to enjoy the balmy weather before winter sets in

Old 10-04-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I take it that today things look more like winter minus the snowpack today in early October? That would mean peak foliage usually occurs around September 15th give or take a few days? Hmmm.... interesting I suppose the weather the last few days has been the Alaskan “Indian summer”, heard it got to near 70 F the other day, hope people got to enjoy the balmy weather before winter sets in
Sunday October 4th: 10-day weather forecast:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USAK0083:1:US

Old 10-08-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Sunday October 4th: 10-day weather forecast:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USAK0083:1:US
I swapped-out the tires on my truck today, so that ought to guarantee a good 8-weeks of sunshine and beautiful weather. Haha

Old 10-10-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I swapped-out the tires on my truck today, so that ought to guarantee a good 8-weeks of sunshine and beautiful weather. Haha
I still have to swap the tires on two vehicles. Easy to do at home on a Toyota Corolla, but I take my wife's RAV4 to a local tire shop. The tires on the RAV4 are heavy, and the tire shop resets (registers) the TPMS sensors in the TPM computer. I just keep one full-set of winter tires mounted on rims in the shed (for 2 vehicles), so when winter arrives all I have to do is to remove the summer tires/wheels from the cars, and replace with the winter tires and wheels.

On the truck I have all-season tires year long, and the traction is quite good, maybe because the bed topper is a little heavy. Nothing special about the BFGoodrich tires, just that they wear a little faster than most all-season tires, because the rubber compound is a little softer. During the winter I set the truck (2001 Silverado) to 4-Auto, and seldom have to put it on 4WD.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I still have to swap the tires on two vehicles. Easy to do at home on a Toyota Corolla, but I take my wife's RAV4 to a local tire shop. The tires on the RAV4 are heavy, and the tire shop resets (registers) the TPMS sensors in the TPM computer. I just keep one full-set of winter tires mounted on rims in the shed (for 2 vehicles), so when winter arrives all I have to do is to remove the summer tires/wheels from the cars, and replace with the winter tires and wheels.

On the truck I have all-season tires year long, and the traction is quite good, maybe because the bed topper is a little heavy. Nothing special about the BFGoodrich tires, just that they wear a little faster than most all-season tires, because the rubber compound is a little softer. During the winter I set the truck (2001 Silverado) to 4-Auto, and seldom have to put it on 4WD.
I hear you on the heavy tires. My tires are all mounted and the tires for my Silverado are really heavy. I am reasonably strong for my size, but I am little. I was considering digging two slots in front of the double doors of my shed that I can back the wheels into to make it easier to load them up each season.

My TPMS never works. I gave up on it and now have a piece of e-tape over the light on my dashboard and a nice tire pressure gauge.

I don't trust auto 4WD, although I'm going to have to warm up to it eventually just like all sorts of other things like automatic transmissions and windows, no windwings,.... :/

Old 10-15-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I hear you on the heavy tires. My tires are all mounted and the tires for my Silverado are really heavy. I am reasonably strong for my size, but I am little. I was considering digging two slots in front of the double doors of my shed that I can back the wheels into to make it easier to load them up each season.

My TPMS never works. I gave up on it and now have a piece of e-tape over the light on my dashboard and a nice tire pressure gauge.

I don't trust auto 4WD, although I'm going to have to warm up to it eventually just like all sorts of other things like automatic transmissions and windows, no windwings,.... :/
As long as you check the tire pressure once every 3-4 weeks, it should be fine. Most of the pressure changes happen with extreme ambient temperature changes. For example, summer temperatures versus winter's. But you don't want to have very low tire pressure, regardless of being summer or winter. The TPM sensors warn you of low tire pressure, before it gets to dangerous levels.

I take my wife's RAV for to a local tire shop where they reset the sensors, but not my Corolla. On this one I just set the tire pressure to the right number, and ignore the TPM signal. Then I check the pressure avery other month or so to make sure that it hasn't dropped. By the way, each day before driving it, I do a visual inspection of the tires to make sure that they look normal.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
As long as you check the tire pressure once every 3-4 weeks, it should be fine. Most of the pressure changes happen with extreme ambient temperature changes. For example, summer temperatures versus winter's. But you don't want to have very low tire pressure, regardless of being summer or winter. The TPM sensors warn you of low tire pressure, before it gets to dangerous levels.

I take my wife's RAV for to a local tire shop where they reset the sensors, but not my Corolla. On this one I just set the tire pressure to the right number, and ignore the TPM signal. Then I check the pressure avery other month or so to make sure that it hasn't dropped. By the way, each day before driving it, I do a visual inspection of the tires to make sure that they look normal.
I do - thank you . I have some sort of OCD that's specific to vehicle maintenance, so I probably do it more often than necessary, but it makes me feel better to know everything's okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: