Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 11:02 AM

18 posts, read 48,526 times

Advertisements

Hello Hello,

A couple of months ago I posted a few general questions here when we -my husband and I- started to look into a possible move to AK. Well, the time has come - we're about ready to go. DH is considering a position in Fairbanks and we're rather excited. I know how cold and dark it can get there and we have no worries about that, we're familiar with cold weather and we love the long dark cozy winter nights and also the lots of sun and light in the summer.
I see there was another thread about high crime rates in Fairbanks. I am not really going out of my mind with worries as our town (Richmond, VA) used to be the 2nd (or 5th? can't recall now) worst city with crimes in the past. That being said I can't really figure out what's the truth about Fairbanks and it's bad fame as far as high crime rates go. I'd like some real and truthful insight from people who live there. We're realistic, we know there will always be crimes no matter where we go but still it's nice to know what to expect especially because we have young children. We don't go to bars, pubs, in general we don't care for nightlife, so this is not an issue, we're more interested how safe it is in general to walk (in good weather) or get out with the kids, go here and there..Also DH might have to work later in the evenings due to his work so we were wondering how safe he'd be.
Also if you could recommend some areas that are considered to be safe for younger family - we might have opportunity to use temporary housing but we want to be on the safe side and prepared with other options. We are in this for the long haul, we won't turn and run after a few months so we want to make up some longterm strategies to find the best place to rent.

Sorry for the long post and long question. Take care and thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 02:18 PM

20,276 posts, read 37,049,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginghem View Post
Hello Hello,

A couple of months ago I posted a few general questions here when we -my husband and I- started to look into a possible move to AK. Well, the time has come - we're about ready to go. DH is considering a position in Fairbanks and we're rather excited. I know how cold and dark it can get there and we have no worries about that, we're familiar with cold weather and we love the long dark cozy winter nights and also the lots of sun and light in the summer.
I see there was another thread about high crime rates in Fairbanks. I am not really going out of my mind with worries as our town (Richmond, VA) used to be the 2nd (or 5th? can't recall now) worst city with crimes in the past. That being said I can't really figure out what's the truth about Fairbanks and it's bad fame as far as high crime rates go. I'd like some real and truthful insight from people who live there. We're realistic, we know there will always be crimes no matter where we go but still it's nice to know what to expect especially because we have young children. We don't go to bars, pubs, in general we don't care for nightlife, so this is not an issue, we're more interested how safe it is in general to walk (in good weather) or get out with the kids, go here and there..Also DH might have to work later in the evenings due to his work so we were wondering how safe he'd be.
Also if you could recommend some areas that are considered to be safe for younger family - we might have opportunity to use temporary housing but we want to be on the safe side and prepared with other options. We are in this for the long haul, we won't turn and run after a few months so we want to make up some longterm strategies to find the best place to rent.

Sorry for the long post and long question. Take care and thanks for the info!
You won't see the truth relating to crime in Fairbanks from looking at statistics, unless you are en expert on that subject. But you can get a more realistic idea on crime in Fairbanks and vicinity by reading the police blotter at the Daily News Miner (local paper), and at the public records at the courts in Fairbanks. All of this is available to the public, and you may be able to see it online.

I have lived in a lot of other cities and towns throughout the US, including the ghetto of the Bronx, NY. This (Fairbanks and vicinity) is the safest place I been. Other safe places I have lived in are Plattsburgh, NY, and Burlington, VT, as well as a lot of small towns all around. In Fairbanks, here are certain areas that I stay away from at night, just like I would do anywhere else in the US.

One thing about Alaska in general: winters are long, and teenagers, which usually have a lot of energy, may get in trouble unless they find some activities they can enjoy. Alcohol and drugs can be readily available (if they look for it), so you can guess the rest. But my wife and I raised my two daughters (from my previous marriage), and our two sons. They are doing very well, and have never had alcohol or drug-related problems.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 AM

639 posts, read 1,911,430 times
The thing I notice about Fairbanks is there seems to be alot of drinking going on. But the other thing I see is kids out playing,young kids out riding bikes to and from school. There seems to be a good amount of things for kids to do here but just like any place I am sure there is plenty for them to get into trouble with as well. I also see more parents doing things with kids here which is something I didn't see as much in SC. Just last night I seen a military gentleman out with 3 kids doing some skiing. I don't do the bar scene either so I don't know what the late night brings out.
I would think that the area is what you make of it. Everywhere has both good and bad.
Come on up,heck maybe one day they will put a Target in here if enough people move up.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,526,559 times
You can read the Fairbanks Police blotter at:

newsminer.com • Fairbanks, Alaska

Crime is crime, but in Fairbanks, it is nothing like the big cities and if you live a bit out of town, you will have more control over your kids than if you lived where they could walk to and get into trouble readly...

The worst problem I had in the last dozen years in Fairbanks, is someone stole my trailer hitch off my pickup when I was at the Tanana Valley Fair one year.

But over all, you will find there is some bad apples here like there are everywhere else...

As well as a bunch of good folks too... that are clinging to their guns a bit more than in the lower 48 states and are better shots...

Old 10-25-2008, 09:00 AM

18 posts, read 48,526 times
Thanks for the insight! It doesn't sound "too bad" then. I have to admit I really couldn't make heads or tails out of the city-data site crime statistics. I definitely perceive Fairbanks (from what I've been told and heard/read) as a more family-friendly place than where we live now. And clinging on to our guns (amongst other things ) won't be a problem either.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginghem View Post
Thanks for the insight! It doesn't sound "too bad" then. I have to admit I really couldn't make heads or tails out of the city-data site crime statistics. I definitely perceive Fairbanks (from what I've been told and heard/read) as a more family-friendly place than where we live now. And clinging on to our guns (amongst other things ) won't be a problem either.
Fairbanks is a lot like Anchorage was about thirty years ago. I don't care much for Anchorage in general because of the high population, but that is something that is going on everywhere in the US and Fairbanks is growing too.

Where I live, there is about 12 families in a fourty mile section of the Highway and nobody for hundreds of miles east or west of here. But in time that too will change...

Old 10-27-2008, 11:42 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,516,351 times
I just thought of one thing about Alaska's crime statistics. One thing Alaska has over other states is a large transient population of seasonal workers and tourists. We're talking anywhere from 2-5 times the permanent population that come here each year. While they probably aren't part of every crime statistic, they are part of some and I'd guess that they aren't accounted for in the per 100,000 stats.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I just thought of one thing about Alaska's crime statistics. One thing Alaska has over other states is a large transient population of seasonal workers and tourists. We're talking anywhere from 2-5 times the permanent population that come here each year. While they probably aren't part of every crime statistic, they are part of some and I'd guess that they aren't accounted for in the per 100,000 stats.
That would apply more in the Coastal towns where there are Canneries that import a lot of workers at lower wages. The Tourist industry does import a lot to the places like Denali National Park, but crime isn't very high there since the companies are a bit more picky about the employees verses body counts for manual labor.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:54 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,516,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
That would apply more in the Coastal towns where there are Canneries that import a lot of workers at lower wages. The Tourist industry does import a lot to the places like Denali National Park, but crime isn't very high there since the companies are a bit more picky about the employees verses body counts for manual labor.
I agree with you there. I was also making the point that there are crimes against tourists that I assume are in the numbers. This potentially distorts the statistics because they are based on the "normal" population of the state. For example, California while likely having a greater number of visitors, they represent an insignificant percentage in relation to the state's population. Visitors to Alaska outnumber the state's population, so crimes against them would have a skewing effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks