Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 AM

631 posts, read 1,886,153 times

Advertisements

This just makes me ill. I can not believe something like this horrible crime could happen here. I know I've had my beefs with Alaska but I can honestly say in the almost 7 years that I have lived here I have never felt unsafe until now. Such a sad day and to think that 3 military members did this. What a disgrace they are to our fine service men.

newsminer.com • Body of missing Fairbanks man found; three men suspected in slaying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 11:02 AM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,902 times
Very sad.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Poor man. What will happen to his animals?

Old 12-23-2008, 06:19 PM

322 posts, read 902,992 times
Default crime

I actually posted about this in the Texas forum under a thread called "crime" and how people perceived Alaska to be crime free. Now I'm not saying that I perceive Fairbanks to be a dangerous place based on this, I was just talking about cultural perceptions and impressions people get about a place that don't necessarily ring true. I will say that my reasons for moving from Fairbanks have nothing to do with this tragic event and everything to do about the long winters here. If you're thinking of moving to Alaska, don't let this change your mind.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:25 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,701,961 times
Crime can happen any where. Its just a shame that it happened at all.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Sadly he will be missed. He was a real landmark in Fairbanks with is store, although it was in the older part of town, it was a neat place to go and poke around in, I was suppose to go there this week for some Christmas gifts. A lot of the people that did hand crafted art would sell though his store.

He always had a booth at the Fair and was just an all around really nice guy.

You have this stupid type of crime all over, it just sucks when it is so close to home.

I wish we had the death penalty in Alaska, there is a bunch of candidates that do need to be erased from the planet, these three will need to be put in that line.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
I actually posted about this in the Texas forum under a thread called "crime" and how people perceived Alaska to be crime free. Now I'm not saying that I perceive Fairbanks to be a dangerous place based on this, I was just talking about cultural perceptions and impressions people get about a place that don't necessarily ring true. I will say that my reasons for moving from Fairbanks have nothing to do with this tragic event and everything to do about the long winters here. If you're thinking of moving to Alaska, don't let this change your mind.
Crime is on the increase in Alaska; especially look at Anchorage. The face of Alaska is sadly changing.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:58 AM

32 posts, read 72,771 times
Default Daniel Frederick, owner of Blondie's

YES this was such a shock when I first heard about it in the news the other night, and SO sad when my mother called this morning to say he'd been found. Daniel was such a nice guy. I have taken all friends/family visitors to Blondie's over the years and I've gone at least once a summer just because his little shop had so many interesting things in it. He always took the time to talk to us and was happy to share stories about the endless memorabilia in his store. It's a very sad loss and such a heinous act against someone who probably would have handed over anything they demanded w/o a fight.

The News Miner article , and a second one, for those interested. This is so fresh, I'm sure this is just the first article of more to come.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:53 AM

16 posts, read 222,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorawatcher View Post
Crime can happen any where. Its just a shame that it happened at all.
That is so true. We just moved from Richmond, Va and not a day goes by that we did not hear of someone being assulted or being murdered or a body being found. And to think Richmond was better than it had been. Compared to other places I have lived, Fairbanks is so much nicer and safer than most places in the lower 48.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:48 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,563 times
I've never been able to understand the bleeding hearts' view against the death penalty. I firmly believe in an eye for an eye and realize that won't bring back this fine man but when you take a life yours should be forfeited also. I wonder how Alaskans feel about forking over their hard earned money to pay for the room and board for these pieces of garbage for the rest of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks