U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2009, 03:04 PM

18 posts, read 27,739 times
Default Fairbanks rentals...wait or not

To all in Fairbanks,
As some of you know we've recently moved from VA to Fairbanks. We're currently in corporate housing and it's available for us (free, also utilities are paid) till late February. In the meantime we're still looking of course and it seems like there are very few opportunities as of right now (very few for us anyway, since we have 3 kids, so we can't live in a small cabin or a 2 bedroom apartment..)
I remember someone said on this forum before (and forgive me if I can't recall who it was..) that there aren't a whole lot rentals available in Fairbanks during the winter, people tend to stay put till spring.
So I guess the question is, will there be more rentals available as we head into March or it won't be till later. Is it worth waiting another month or we just go ahead with what we find right now. If anyone has experience, it'd be very valuable for us right now!!

Also perhaps we're not looking in the right place...we're mainly checking the Newsminer online/newspaper, and Craigslist (although I keep running into nigerian missionaries trying to take my money on a regular basis...grrrr..)

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 AM

7,089 posts, read 8,228,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginghem View Post
To all in Fairbanks,
As some of you know we've recently moved from VA to Fairbanks. We're currently in corporate housing and it's available for us (free, also utilities are paid) till late February. In the meantime we're still looking of course and it seems like there are very few opportunities as of right now (very few for us anyway, since we have 3 kids, so we can't live in a small cabin or a 2 bedroom apartment..)
I remember someone said on this forum before (and forgive me if I can't recall who it was..) that there aren't a whole lot rentals available in Fairbanks during the winter, people tend to stay put till spring.
So I guess the question is, will there be more rentals available as we head into March or it won't be till later. Is it worth waiting another month or we just go ahead with what we find right now. If anyone has experience, it'd be very valuable for us right now!!

Also perhaps we're not looking in the right place...we're mainly checking the Newsminer online/newspaper, and Craigslist (although I keep running into nigerian missionaries trying to take my money on a regular basis...grrrr..)

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!
LOL, I have a story on "Nigerian" missionaries. I spent a bit of time in Nigeria working with "ITT Nigeria LTD, telephone outside plant", ran across a lot of missionaries, but, only one- a catholic mission on the road between abak and ikot ekpene was worth helping out. They had a free school, machine shop, agricultural co-op teaching modern farming practices and distributed their crops to the parishioners, built all sorts of prosthetic devices for those without all of their body parts, and, best of all, were not "preachy" anyway, this other missionary, while I was back in the US of A on leave, complete with photos, was trying to raise money to continue with their good works in the Nigerian rainforest, the only problem was, the photos were of the catholic mission between Abak and Ikot Ekpene. At his fundraiser, I spoke up, quite loudly, denouncing the charlatan for the thief he was. That's the problem with the so-called missionaries, there really isn't much of an easy way to document their claims, yup, they will have all sorts of photos, they may actually be in some of them, that does not mean it is their mission. " caveat emptor " You could always ask to see their passport and visa, will help establish a time-line. They need to have been there for several years at a stretch. There is always documentation for any genuine "mission" on Nigerian soil. If they claim the govt took their paperwork when they left, they are lying, if they say they are overseeing several missions and do not spend a lot of time at any one of them, they are lying, if they are dressed in nice clothes in the photos, they are lying, if they are posed with natives and have a hand resting on them, they are lying. Personally, I assume they are all lying, far and away, the majority of missionaries I have met were slightly less evolved than "pond scum"

OOPS, I ranted!!!

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 01-11-2009 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-13-2009, 09:25 PM

639 posts, read 1,216,510 times
We have friends that have lived in Fairbanks pretty much their whole lives and they told my husband who also rents that he needed to find a place by the end of Sept and not plan on giving it up till sometime in May due to limited choices. His landlord even has even said that he has horrible luck renting after the first snow. So what I would say is yes picking might be slim until school is coming to a close or until break up,seems people start moving around a lot once the break up happens in the spring. Have you thought about another idea what about subletting a place until later in the year that might work. We also have 3 kids and the cheap enough for us to afford were not in the best areas and I really didn't want to pay $1700+ rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks