Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 AM

140 posts, read 470,889 times

Advertisements

If you buy some furniture in TX and you end up not needing it in FB, and it is brand new...you could probably sell it and get your $$$ back easily...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 11:22 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Maybe they're paying back the state of Texas on what Bush did to the country and sending the military to the coldest place in the states. lol.
The main reason for sending soldiers from warm places to Alaska is for variety of training. For example, these folk already have warm weather training, and in Alaska, specially For Wainwright all the way to Delta Junction, cold weather raining is provided. This variety of weather training is essential for environments in the Middle East, specially Afghanistan and Iraq. There is another type of training that takes place in Alaska, and that is national and international multi-forces training.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-07-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-07-2009, 02:16 PM

41 posts, read 85,001 times
Wow guys thanks for all the advice, if most people are like all of you in AK, then I can not wait!! It is always refreshing to meet nice and helpful people!

Also I think about moving Texans to AK, also has to do with MOS. Is there a lot of medical up there? My wife has a medical MOS so maybe thats why? Not sure. Either way guys thanks alot for all your help/advice. I will be contacting the ARMY Transportation Office soon and will be finding out all of their details. From there I guess I will make a full game plan and keep you all posted! Cant wait too meet all of you in 3months or so!!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 AM

153 posts, read 463,136 times
I don't think it has anything specifically to do with making sure that military members recieve a variety of training in different locales otherwise things such as Homebasing wouldn't be encouraged. The military assignment system is also automated, with a hole being filled by whomever fits the shape of the hole- not whether they've been in warm-weather training and now need cold-weather training.

This is evidenced by people who have never left Minot since being stationed there, or who have gone from Minot to Fairchild to Eielson.

Also, the different militaries do not share assignment systems, so the amount of people heading to AK over several different services has to be purely coincidental.

Only certain fields NEED that variety of training, and are usually sent temporarily (TDY) to recieve it.

But that's really beside the point of how damn excited/happy we all are to be so lucky, no?

Shan

Old 03-08-2009, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 10,449 times
Default Alaska

I recently sold a house to someone from Alsaka. I was quite surprised at how pretty the area is and all they have to offer. They family shared some of photos with me. Good luck on your move

Old 03-08-2009, 01:21 PM

41 posts, read 85,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirelesd View Post
I recently sold a house to someone from Alsaka. I was quite surprised at how pretty the area is and all they have to offer. They family shared some of photos with me. Good luck on your move
THX!!

Oh is there a good place on the net to find available houses? I hope this is my last question lol!

Old 03-08-2009, 02:01 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
This one is about the best I've seen.
www.AlaskaRealEstate.com - Statewide MLS system - Homes, Land, Commercial, Businesses

Old 03-08-2009, 05:09 PM

107 posts, read 402,697 times
We moved from Houston to Fairbanks in 2004. We were there until May 2007.

Lots of sound advice on this thread as far as Fairbanks and Ft. Wainwright. Due to weather and road conditions, if your wife is adverse to driving on icy roads, living on post is very nice. We lived across from Hangar 1 on the north side of the airfield. My wife worked across the street from Bassett and had a 5 minute commute at worst. But one very big plus for Fairbanks/ft. Wainwright... A traffic jam means you had to sit at a light for more than one cycle.

I did the bulk of my grocery shopping at the Commissary because I though their prices were much better than in town. It is a small commissary compared to other posts. The P/X is very small as well.

Furniture wise, you will pay A LOT for delivery and the selection is not great if you want high end stuff. The furniture store at Wainwright can get some nice stuff though.

We found nearly everyone we dealt with in Alaska was friendly and helpful, whether other military or other residents. We were all in it together because of the weather, distance from home and the lack of major amenities. Fairbanks is also a very "pro" military town. Because so many rely on the Army or Air Force for work, it has a very different feel from some other major posts (like Ft. Lewis where we are now.)

Old 03-08-2009, 05:14 PM

153 posts, read 463,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryehenry View Post
Oh is there a good place on the net to find available houses? I hope this is my last question lol!
I hope I never run out of questions.. just stupid ones

Here's a site that you should have access to since you're going up on military. It covers TLF and base housing as well. I like that they can take your BAH into account for the search.

Automated Housing Referral

Shan

Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,007 times
Cool Thanks :)

Hi, I logged in to get an idea of what everyone has been saying about our upcoming move. By the way, I'm Ryan's wife.

So first I wanted to thank everyone for all their responses. I was so nervous about my duty station but as the days have passed I have become a little more at ease with the idea.

Granted, there is so much work that still has to be done and I have NO idea where to start. Lol.

But thanks again and i hope to also be posting a bit on here as things develop. I know I will have questions and hopefully like Radioshack, you will have answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks