U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 PM

8 posts, read 20,176 times
Cool Fairbanks

For those that live there or have been there. Can you try and explain to me how cold it gets in the winter and what it feels like? I remember when I was little looking in the newspaper for the daily highs and lows across the country and always looked to see what it was in Fairbanks lol...because it was soo cold there all the time. To me anything below freezing is pretty cold so to be in a place with the temperatures near absolute zero lol...well the thought is unbearable. Is it really as bad as it seems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,561,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_Killin_Me_Smalls View Post
For those that live there or have been there. Can you try and explain to me how cold it gets in the winter and what it feels like? I remember when I was little looking in the newspaper for the daily highs and lows across the country and always looked to see what it was in Fairbanks lol...because it was soo cold there all the time. To me anything below freezing is pretty cold so to be in a place with the temperatures near absolute zero lol...well the thought is unbearable. Is it really as bad as it seems?
What is absolute zero? Try many degrees below 0, but over -50 below 0 and add a wind chill, stick your head out the door and run back in if you have the chance below 0 or your skin could freeze if not covered in seconds... and is it as bad as it seems, it can only get so cold, then it is just bone-chillin cold...

Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 PM

2,485 posts, read 3,755,435 times
Not cold now...more like the mid 80s

Old 07-07-2009, 02:34 AM

97 posts, read 134,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
What is absolute zero? Try many degrees below 0, but over -50 below 0 and add a wind chill, stick your head out the door and run back in if you have the chance below 0 or your skin could freeze if not covered in seconds... and is it as bad as it seems, it can only get so cold, then it is just bone-chillin cold...
Absolute zero is −459.67 F. Thus, the original poster is either smoking some really good stuff, does not know what he's talking about or perhaps he's just trying to say "damn yall's thats cold up der".

Just to clarify, for the original poster: Fairbanks has never gotten anywhere remotely near absolute zero, ever in recorded history, nor ever will till the "end of days" -- also known as the "heat death of the universe".

Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 20,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akdreamin View Post
Absolute zero is −459.67 F. Thus, the original poster is either smoking some really good stuff, does not know what he's talking about or perhaps he's just trying to say "damn yall's thats cold up der".

Just to clarify, for the original poster: Fairbanks has never gotten anywhere remotely near absolute zero, ever in recorded history, nor ever will till the "end of days" -- also known as the "heat death of the universe".
Yes it was an exaggeration...emphasizing the point. But seriously I dont know how some people can do it.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:01 AM

322 posts, read 541,691 times
The cold here is absolutely MISERABLE. I would advise anyone thinking of moving here to spend the months of December and January here first and then see if it doesn't sound so bad. I visited before moving here (in the winter) and it managed not to be that cold that week, so I thought, "okay, I can move here." -40 is inhumane. They don't stop anything here for the cold. You have to get in your vehicle and drive to work anyway in the ice fog. You have to put your precious children on the school bus and send them to school at that. It's not -40 constantly, but a lot of winters since I've been here (6 years), it will get to -40 for a week o two at a time for a total of about 3 weeks! Then there are all those days, it hovers around -20 where people don't even take notice. Of course, it doesn't get to "absolute" zero here, but it's absolutely colder than anything I want to see!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 PM

42 posts, read 82,848 times
hehehe i want some, me likey the cold. When i finish school i hope to hit the mission field there.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 PM

12,804 posts, read 13,328,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_Killin_Me_Smalls View Post
It can get very cold during the winter months. Anywhere from -40 degrees F. to -65 is possible, and for a few days or weeks at a time. When the temperature is that low, you can bring a glass of water outside, toss the water up in the air, and it usually freezes by the time it hits the ground.

It is a bad as it seems, but if you dress in enough warm layers and cover all exposed skin or flesh, then it's not that bad.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:25 PM

12,804 posts, read 13,328,649 times
I forgot to mention that it can also get very warm during the summer around Fairbanks. We often have summers with a lot of wildfires, too. This year there are several fires burning East and West of Fairbanks, so it has bee quite smokey for about a week so far. The temperature is 93 degrees today, and may go slightly higher. But most times it's around 70 degrees, with a few colder or warmer days in between. The interior has a sort of weather much like a desert. The air is dry, it cools at night, and then warms during the day when sunny. Last night the temperature was around 60 degrees.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:09 AM

847 posts, read 2,225,030 times
Yea not anywhere near absolute 0. ) in the Calvin scale -273 celsius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks