U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:11 PM

5,992 posts, read 7,217,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-St8 View Post
Thanks. I thought there would probably be some measures that you had to take to keep your car reliable during the extreme cold.

Yeah there is nothing you can do on solid ice...studded tires don't work...chains work a bit. You just have to hope that the sand truck arrives.

We get WAY to much ice.
Sand?! You need SALT to melt ice! Sand is useless. They don't have salt trucks down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM

1,887 posts, read 2,110,925 times
I lived in Fairbanks for 8 years, I loved it, but my work took me other places. As for the cold, your freezer is warmer than Fairbanks in the winter, like what had already been posted, driving in Central Alaska in the winter is a challenge. One just needs to keep common sense about them, never do a jack rabbit start from a red light, you never know who's going to be sliding through the intersection. If the road is icy which it always is in the winter, don't drive 70 miles an hour down the hiway.
On my truck, while in Fairbanks, I had my tires siped, this works great on snow and ice, you might want to check into that when you get to Fairbanks, if your planning on driving up via the Alcan this time of the year, you might want to have those tires siped here in the lower 48.

Good luck, you love Fairbanks

Old 10-23-2009, 05:47 PM

10 posts, read 8,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Sand?! You need SALT to melt ice! Sand is useless. They don't have salt trucks down there?
I actually think they use a sand/salt mixture. The sand does help some though.

I wouldn't think that salt would work very well in AK...just because it gets sooo incredibly cold there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I lived in Fairbanks for 8 years, I loved it, but my work took me other places. As for the cold, your freezer is warmer than Fairbanks in the winter, like what had already been posted, driving in Central Alaska in the winter is a challenge. One just needs to keep common sense about them, never do a jack rabbit start from a red light, you never know who's going to be sliding through the intersection. If the road is icy which it always is in the winter, don't drive 70 miles an hour down the hiway.
On my truck, while in Fairbanks, I had my tires siped, this works great on snow and ice, you might want to check into that when you get to Fairbanks, if your planning on driving up via the Alcan this time of the year, you might want to have those tires siped here in the lower 48.

Good luck, you love Fairbanks
Thanks Terry. Of course I have to get the job first, but I am intrigued and excited about the possibility! We'll see!

Old 10-23-2009, 05:48 PM

One other question...do people just put on normal work clothes, and then wear coveralls over that? Im just wondering how you battle the cold temps, but still clothe yourself appropriately for an inside job/life.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
One other question...do people just put on normal work clothes, and then wear coveralls over that? Im just wondering how you battle the cold temps, but still clothe yourself appropriately for an inside job/life.
Working an inside job is no problem, the coldest you'll get is the short walk to and from your car. In the winter if you work outside, you dress as if your life depends on it, because it does. If your car breaks down on the way to work, depending on how far out you are, could be dangerous, this is why most people who have lived in Fairbanks for awhile carry a cold weather emergency kit in their automobile. In my 8 years in Fairbanks the coldest I've ever seen it was -62 degrees, that's cold enough to take your life in a very short period of time, if your not prepared.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 PM

13,051 posts, read 14,686,543 times
Quote:
I actually think they use a sand/salt mixture. The sand does help some though.

I wouldn't think that salt would work very well in AK...just because it gets sooo incredibly cold there.

Thanks Terry. Of course I have to get the job first, but I am intrigued and excited about the possibility! We'll see!
Salt does not work very well when around -20 and colder. It melts some ice near the surface, and then this ice freezes again when it gets colder causing more problems. But the DOT does use some salt at the intersections when above zero. Sand works the best in the interior where it gets very cold, but this "sand" is crushed gravel since we don't have heavy river sand to use. That's why there are so many automobiles with cracked windshields around Fairbanks.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:06 AM

2,060 posts, read 2,322,828 times
Quote:
I spent 14 years in Fairbanks before I got smart and got out!

If you do get the job, do not buy winter clothes in Oklahoma. Wait until you get to Fairbanks and go shopping at Big Ray's downtown. They have the best selection of work clothes, usually some variation of Carhartt, the most popular brand of work and cold-weather clothing. Carhartt makes work jeans, insulated and not, coveralls, jackets, and etc. It depends upon what type of outdoor work you will be doing. If you buy in Okieland, you will look like one in Fairbanks!

We cannot advertise on city-data, but if you PM me, I can give you the name and phone number of a bro-in-law who owns and rents apartment units. I don't know if he has any units available at this time, but you could check and see.

Also, check out the classifieds for the Fairbanks Daily-News Miner. They post rentals.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I spent 14 years in Fairbanks before I got smart and got out!

If you do get the job, do not buy winter clothes in Oklahoma. Wait until you get to Fairbanks and go shopping at Big Ray's downtown. They have the best selection of work clothes, usually some variation of Carhartt, the most popular brand of work and cold-weather clothing. Carhartt makes work jeans, insulated and not, coveralls, jackets, and etc. It depends upon what type of outdoor work you will be doing. If you buy in Okieland, you will look like one in Fairbanks!

We cannot advertise on city-data, but if you PM me, I can give you the name and phone number of a bro-in-law who owns and rents apartment units. I don't know if he has any units available at this time, but you could check and see.

Also, check out the classifieds for the Fairbanks Daily-News Miner. They post rentals.
Thanks Teak!! The clothing tips are much appreciated. We do have some Carhartt down here, but I imagine the particular line of Carhartt offered in AK is different from that offered in Okie Land (where the wind does in fact come sweeping down the plains).

If it does look like I will land the job I will most certainly take you up on the bro-in-law contact offer. Thanks for letting me know!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks Teak!! The clothing tips are much appreciated. We do have some Carhartt down here, but I imagine the particular line of Carhartt offered in AK is different from that offered in Okie Land (where the wind does in fact come sweeping down the plains).

If it does look like I will land the job I will most certainly take you up on the bro-in-law contact offer. Thanks for letting me know!
I do have to agree with Teak, Big Rays in Fairbanks has clothes for the climate, it's the only place I've been in that have Arctic Carhartts. You can get lined Carhartts in the lower 48, but they are not as well insulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks