U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-16-2009, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 3,995 times
Default Floridian moving to Fairbanks this January

Hey everybody, I've live in Florida my entire life and this January I will be moving to Fairbanks to attend UAF. I would love any advice about moving up there. My biggest question is what kind of jacket to get. Is down insulated too much? Or can you not go warm enough up there as I see -40 f isnt uncommon. Keep in mind I dont have alot of cold winter experience. I've read that the best idea is to wait till i get up there but Ill be arriving in January and i think ill need the clothing as soon as I arrive. Ive been looking on Cabelas and they seem to have some good deals. I was looking at this jacket ;

Cabela's GORE-TEX® Down Parka - Regular

Any thoughts or advice on the overall experience would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 07:50 AM

5,204 posts, read 6,567,908 times
The best thing you can do is wait until you get up here and then buy your winter clothing. Things look really nice in catalogs and having glowing descriptions then when you actually use them you find out they aren't so good. Head over to the local retailers as soon as you get here. Find a saleperson and tell them what your looking for. I bet they get you hooked up.

Big Ray's Classic Alaska All Weather Outfitters Since 1947

http://www.prospectoroutfitters.com/

Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 AM

639 posts, read 1,176,186 times
I second waiting and I second both the stores mentioned by Stiff. These stores know what they are selling and can answer your questions they can also help you pick items that will suit your needs if you do activities outside,etc. While the prices may not be as cheap as some places in the lower 48 you know the old saying you get what you pay for, and since proper gear here, if something happens and you have to walk could mean life or death waiting would be a wise choice.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 3,995 times
I know the week I arrive classes start and Im not sure how soon id be able to get into town, so I figured ordering online would be the best solution since you cant even find big jackets in Florida. Would I be able to last in the weather for a week or so without the proper clothing?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:45 AM

15,573 posts, read 14,672,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsimmons88 View Post
I know the week I arrive classes start and Im not sure how soon id be able to get into town, so I figured ordering online would be the best solution since you cant even find big jackets in Florida. Would I be able to last in the weather for a week or so without the proper clothing?
Buy a few basic things online. Cabella's is good.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:51 AM

47 posts, read 93,527 times
Arrow Yo, Homeboy!

ROTFL!! I just moved up from Palm Springs, FL this past Friday... to work at UAF; so, welcome "homie" What part of the Gunshine State are you from?

WRT clothing: I came up with one pair of heavier-weight jeans, some flannel shirts, short- and long-sleeved cotton T-shirts, and moisture-wicking socks (I bicycle). The rest I'm in the process of buying up here.

Target is having a sale on long-sleeved 100% cotton T-shirts -- $4.99 each, and they're nice. Their thermal Henley's are priced at $8.99

I bought six pairs of SmartWool socks up here, at Sports Authority, for $17/pair -- thin, moisture-wicking on the inside, and wool on the outside. I'm still with my running shoes, and it's not so easy finding footwear that's comfortable (read: wider)... I need to spend more time on it.

Layers... loose-fitting... are the rule... with a windproof outer layer -- I'm still looking, but for me, the short-sleeved T, long-sleeved T, and hoodie are good at -4*F YMMV

You can contact me, and I'll be glad to share whatever I've learned.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM

5,204 posts, read 6,567,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHoren View Post
ROTFL!! I'm still with my running shoes, and it's not so easy finding footwear that's comfortable (read: wider)... I need to spend more time on it.
If you have any luck with this let me know. I'm still wearing a pair of Sketcher tennis shoes. The only ones that I could find that were truely wide. Otherwise I'm gonna have to break down and buy a pair of KEEN brand boots. They have one style that is actually fairly wide.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 AM

2,841 posts, read 6,796,918 times
It's been my experience when buying a jacket that you want one that has some material on the inside against your back that is not nylon. Otherwise it is too cold unless you plan on layering with a fleece jacket under it.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 AM

2,485 posts, read 3,661,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If you have any luck with this let me know. I'm still wearing a pair of Sketcher tennis shoes. The only ones that I could find that were truely wide. Otherwise I'm gonna have to break down and buy a pair of KEEN brand boots. They have one style that is actually fairly wide.
I'm wearing Keen shoes right now. I bought a pair last summer and liked them so much I went back and bought a second pair so I can trade off.

As far as warm stuff goes, follow Met's advice adn get something kinda warm and see what you do. If you are inside all the time and don't care for outside activities in the winter then it will probably last you.

But why be in Alaska if you can't do outside stuff. When you get here go down to a local store and spend the big bucks for the really warm clothes.

Or you can find some warm parkas on craigslist. Here are some:

classifieds - craigslist

********* NOMEX SLOPE WORKERS PARKA.************* (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/clo/1467179241.html - broken link)

Northern Rig Goose Down Parka Fur Collar XL (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/1465044050.html - broken link)

Old 11-16-2009, 02:17 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,370,192 times
Don't waste money on cotton stuff!! it just holds moisture and you get cold! Good quality moisture wicking clothing will last you a long time. It is worth the money.
Another thing we found out the hard way (spend winter time in Canada in -58 wind chill) if your feet sweat a lot...don't buy the highest rate of thinsulate. I am very comfortable is a high thinsulate...hubby bought 800gram and his feet sweat constantly...he had to go to a lower rate to be comfortable and not sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks