Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:43 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,371,732 times

Advertisements

Hope so Met as it sounds like such a great program.
As I kid I would have loved to get a letter from the North Pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Fing sex offenders always seem to weasel their slimy way in to a place where they have access to kids.

I heard that a private group in North Pole is going to try to continue the program.
I sure hope so!! we have a toys for tots program here and most of the children asked if they could exchange their toys for food and necessities such as soaps, shampoo, dog/cat food. Damn it when are these politicians and people who control the financial aspect of this society going to realize it is the little people that need the help and we need to keep our children...children for as long as possible....

Old 11-20-2009, 04:24 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Sounds like Senator Murkowski jumped into the fray and they are going forward with the program as before. The mayor of North Pole is my old college roommate...good guy.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:38 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Sounds like Senator Murkowski jumped into the fray and they are going forward with the program as before. The mayor of North Pole is my old college roommate...good guy.
yaaayyyy!! tell the mayor of North Pole that there a thousand and thousand of children counting on hearing from Santa with the post mark of North Pole on the envelope!!! also tell him thanks from me in the anticipation that it will happen!!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:21 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Good news Marty, it would be sad to see this go down the tubes....

Old 11-20-2009, 05:34 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Good deal then, it really was a good program from the hearts of the kids in North Pole when it started. Hate to see someone ruin it for the rest of the Country.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:18 PM

276 posts, read 848,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
I sure hope so!! we have a toys for tots program here and most of the children asked if they could exchange their toys for food and necessities such as soaps, shampoo, dog/cat food. Damn it when are these politicians and people who control the financial aspect of this society going to realize it is the little people that need the help and we need to keep our children...children for as long as possible....
You have to wonder what this world is coming too kids can't even be kids, they can't even have the childhood dreams and imagination kids deserve, they are forced to live like adults. I hope the program will find the helping hand that it needs to keep going. I would have loved to received something from the north pole as a child. This is something I received in an email from a friend, it's been going arond so you have probably seen it but it is the absolute truth

This is from an article in the St. Petersburg , FL Times Newspaper on Sunday. The Business Section asked readers for ideas on "How Would You Fix the Economy?" I think this guy nailed it!

Dear Mr. President:

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy.

Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan..

You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force.

Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings -

Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new American CAR. Forty million cars ordered-

Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage-

Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!

If more money is needed, have all members of Congress and their constituents pay their taxes...

If you think this would work, please forward to everyone you know.

If not, please disregard. Then shoot yourself!!!! 1 job opening

Maybe if the government thought about the real people in America kids would still be kids.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINEr View Post
You have to wonder what this world is coming too kids can't even be kids, they can't even have the childhood dreams and imagination kids deserve, they are forced to live like adults. I hope the program will find the helping hand that it needs to keep going. I would have loved to received something from the north pole as a child. This is something I received in an email from a friend, it's been going arond so you have probably seen it but it is the absolute truth

This is from an article in the St. Petersburg , FL Times Newspaper on Sunday. The Business Section asked readers for ideas on "How Would You Fix the Economy?" I think this guy nailed it!

Dear Mr. President:

Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan..

Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

Unemployment fixed.

Auto Industry fixed.

Housing Crisis fixed.

If more money is needed, have all members of Congress and their constituents pay their taxes...

Maybe if the government thought about the real people in America kids would still be kids.

Yes this guy was right on!! He has common sense!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
It's an excellent program, and has taken place for many years. During Christmas night, some sort of game is played to entertain kids around the world. Supposedly, Santa is tracked in his trek across the world by the AF , and Santa's position around the globe is given to the public. Kids love it, and grown-ups just have a laugh about it.

The letters that come to North Pole are answered and returned to the parents who are the ones purchasing the toys or whatever the kids want. But a lot of people send their letters to friends and family in the interior, and these people stuff these letters in a new envelope, and send them back from the North Pole Post Office with the North Pole stamp.

I believe the Post Office in North Pole wasn't going to stamp the letters anymore, which in my view is quite stupid.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:27 AM

107 posts, read 227,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINEr View Post

Dear Mr. President:

Unemployment fixed.

Auto Industry fixed.

Housing Crisis fixed.

Are you serious? Do you HONESTLY believe this would work?(would also like to ask that question to whoever said [Yes this guy was right on!! He has common sense!])

First off, can people not do basic math anymore?? 40 million * 1 million = 40 trillion!.. A bit more than the 3.7 T being given to corporations.

Second, even if that was a feasible number, the majority of people unemployed could NOT fill the positions which would be opened by relieving those over 50 of their jobs. Also, to remove all of these very experienced, educated, and intelligent workers from the work force (especially all at once) would cause the majority of the country to crumble.

Also, if you were given $1m, by the time you paid your 400k in taxes, spent 250k on your house, and 50k on your car, you now have $300k left.. Who's going to live 40+ years on $300k??

I could keep going, but I think you get it by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks