U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,632,514 times

Advertisements

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner Don't leave home without it!
I brought a Uhaul towing a car trailer up from Seattle about 4 years ago in February. Only problem we had was about 3 hours outside of Watson Lake a tire went flat on the trailer. It was at about 9pm and outside air temp was 20 below. We (there was two of us) fired up the jeep that was on the trailer, drove it off, and went on our way, still pulling the trailer with the flat tire (the trailer had dual axles.) Got to Watson Lake, grabbed a hotel room, and got some sleep.
Got up the next morning and the gas station across the street was a Uhaul repair center. The tire was trashed. Took about 45 minutes to pull the trailer in and put a new tire on the rim and put it back together. Away we went...
So, it's totally doable, but may have it's challenges. If possible, make sure the towed car is available to be driven as a back up should anything happen to the Uhaul vehicle.
Plan your gas out. There are stretches where there's nothing for several hundred miles.
Have your passport for the borders. And Canada has rules concerning firearms and past criminal records. Know what those are and don't violate them.
Enjoy the drive. It's beautiful! Oh, and eat at Fast Eddie's in Tok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 PM

5,154 posts, read 9,410,356 times
To avoid traffic, I left Seattle at 4:30 am. It's the first time I drove the freeway with almost no traffic on the road. You'll want to cutoff the freeway at Bellingham and cross the border at Sumas (it's more convenient and shorter distance). From there, you should be able to make it to Prince George, but you should elect to stop in Quesnel or Williams Lake. From Prince George, you have the option of going west to the Cassiar Hwy or going northeast to Dawson Creek and the Alcan. The Cassiar Hwy joins the Alcan just past Watson Lake. From there, it's the Alcan to Delta Junction.

You should be able to find a motel that will accept dogs. I believe the Milepost indicates which one accept pets and if you have access to AAA travel books, they do too. Passports are now needed, required by Homeland Security. The pet health certificate dated within 30 days is required to get into Alaska, but it's also useful to cross into Canada. Don't be surprised if they don't ask to see it. A DUI and any other felony will likely keep you from crossing the border, so if that's the case, you should plan on shipping your stuff and flying. Guns are the other problem as only certain one are allowed into Canada with proper paperwork and fees.

If none of this is a problem for your party, then consider driving.

Oh, and here's a second for eating at Fast Eddy's in Tok.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:29 PM

21,033 posts, read 22,618,356 times
I'd rather stay just south of Prince George, this place is always a mess traffic wise no matter what time of day it is. I stay in a little town called Hixon.

Prince George is the last Starbucks going north until you get to Anchorage or Fairbanks, they do sell a Canadian version of a mocha at Tim Horton's, a major Canadian chain.

As for pet friendly hotels, here you go....
Pet-Friendly Hotels, Lodging & Accommodations in British Columbia, Canada

Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 PM

4,043 posts, read 5,379,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I'd rather stay just south of Prince George, this place is always a mess traffic wise no matter what time of day it is. I stay in a little town called Hixon.

Prince George is the last Starbucks going north until you get to Anchorage or Fairbanks, they do sell a Canadian version of a mocha at Tim Horton's, a major Canadian chain.

As for pet friendly hotels, here you go....
Pet-Friendly Hotels, Lodging & Accommodations in British Columbia, Canada
You can get mochas and lattes in Delta Junction, in between Tok and Fairbanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks