Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 01:56 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,628 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know if there are any independent music stores left in the Fairbanks area with a decent selection or some sort of specialty? The last 10 years have been hell on these places but it seems like there's enough market for a properly promoted shop in town (geared toward the niche genre, alt/indie vinyl nerd university types). A google search gives me Hoitts Underground Sound on Airport Way. Anybody been in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 PM

100 posts, read 224,012 times
I go for some out of the way stuff in books and music and am amazed at what amazon.com offers!! I have gone searching for some things that are very new or very off the beaten track and low and behold, there they are at a good price and often free shiping.
Would love to hear what you can not find there.
Thanks,
Nan

Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
I don't remember any music stores, except that Barns & Noble, Fred Mayer, Walmart and the rest sell music CD's. But no LP, vinyl, and such. Most of the young, including students, and old like me mostly download music. I probably have around 14GB or more in songs on my computer, 99% downloaded from from the iTunes Store.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,597 times
Hoitts has been around for 25+ years and folks I went to high school with were running it last I heard. Used to be good back in the day; don't know now since I'm not living in Fairbanks any longer.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,628 times
Yeah it's a challenge to find music that Amazon doesn't offer at least in mp3 form, and I'm well connected with underground distros and tape traders in the lower 48 for the really obscure stuff. I've just always really liked music stores, and I try to support the few that are left. I'll check out Hoitts next time I'm up there.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:56 PM

100 posts, read 224,012 times
I so agree with you about supporting the local shops. When I moved to Ketchikan 30 years ago there were two great music/video stores. About ten years later, one closed due to family stuff (this one offered opened ended video rentals to people in the surrounding areas that worked with air taxies) and the other when the big guys moved in. We do have one lovely, tiny book store and I always check there before I order from anywhere.
That store in Fairbanks sounds great. There was one in Seward that I always looked forward to, but heard they were gone, Sigh!
Nan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks