U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:46 PM

212 posts, read 983,078 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Fargo-Moorhead area this fall and have been looking (mostly online so far) at homes to buy. I've gotta say, the houses are a lot nicer in Fargo than they are Moorhead! But I have questions about flooding.

Does the housing area around Lindenwood Park (7th Street and 17th Ave) get flooded? Is it a "good" neighborhood? Safe?

How about the area around Broadway and 11th Avenue? (Flooding, safe, good area?)

In general, can anyone tell me which areas in Fargo I should avoid due to flooding?

Also--taxes there are a killer. Yes, I know there aren't income taxes. That's fine while a person is working--but what happens when people retire? If we buy a house there, we plan to stay. So how do people on fixed incomes afford those awful property taxes? Is there a tax break then?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 05:01 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
We are moving to the Fargo-Moorhead area this fall and have been looking (mostly online so far) at homes to buy. I've gotta say, the houses are a lot nicer in Fargo than they are Moorhead! But I have questions about flooding.

Does the housing area around Lindenwood Park (7th Street and 17th Ave) get flooded? Is it a "good" neighborhood? Safe?

How about the area around Broadway and 11th Avenue? (Flooding, safe, good area?)

In general, can anyone tell me which areas in Fargo I should avoid due to flooding?

Also--taxes there are a killer. Yes, I know there aren't income taxes. That's fine while a person is working--but what happens when people retire? If we buy a house there, we plan to stay. So how do people on fixed incomes afford those awful property taxes? Is there a tax break then?

Thanks!

The recent Red River flooding in Fargo which the river went to near 32 ft only affected the areas right along the river....one golf course and some parks and I am not aware of any homes threatened. The city did but up an earthen levee in downtown Fargo as some of the downtown floods at 33 ft. Here is a link to their floodwalls/levees locations the city puts up at different stage predictions. Above 35 ft is very rare and even during the flood of 97 when the river was almost 40 ft Fargo was generally spared any flooding due to earthen levees that were constructed up around town. So...in other words the chances of your house flooding in Fargo is very very very low as all precautions would be made to save any home in Fargo. Outside the city limits...the protection is a bit less but inside the city limits I would not worry about flooding anywhere. Make sure your home does have a working sump pump (if it has a basement) and if it is an older home have it inspected for any water damage, especially if it is a block foundation home.

Emergency **** Locations - City of Fargo

Here is a pdf file showing the flood plain in Fargo....all but right along the River (mostly park land) is in the 500 year flood plain or in none at all.

http://media.cityoffargo.com/maps/En...d/Floodmap.pdf

Also on the city web page is a link to crime reports mapped out.

Interactive Crime Point Mapping - City of Fargo

I was confused about the income tax statement....there is income tax in North Dakota....lower than in Minnesota though.

I am not sure about tax breaks for those retired and on fixed income.

Dan

Old 06-22-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
The recent Red River flooding in Fargo which the river went to near 32 ft only affected the areas right along the river....one golf course and some parks and I am not aware of any homes threatened. The city did but up an earthen levee in downtown Fargo as some of the downtown floods at 33 ft. Here is a link to their floodwalls/levees locations the city puts up at different stage predictions. Above 35 ft is very rare and even during the flood of 97 when the river was almost 40 ft Fargo was generally spared any flooding due to earthen levees that were constructed up around town. So...in other words the chances of your house flooding in Fargo is very very very low as all precautions would be made to save any home in Fargo. Outside the city limits...the protection is a bit less but inside the city limits I would not worry about flooding anywhere. Make sure your home does have a working sump pump (if it has a basement) and if it is an older home have it inspected for any water damage, especially if it is a block foundation home.

Emergency **** Locations - City of Fargo

Here is a pdf file showing the flood plain in Fargo....all but right along the River (mostly park land) is in the 500 year flood plain or in none at all.

http://media.cityoffargo.com/maps/En...d/Floodmap.pdf

Also on the city web page is a link to crime reports mapped out.

Interactive Crime Point Mapping - City of Fargo

I was confused about the income tax statement....there is income tax in North Dakota....lower than in Minnesota though.

I am not sure about tax breaks for those retired and on fixed income.

Dan
Dan-Once again, you came through with the answers and I thank you. The link to crime reports had lots of city info--including stuff on property taxes and exemptions for people on fixed incomes. Finally, my questions about this issue have been answered! I've even asked realtors who haven't been able to answer!

I'm not giving up on Moorhead yet. We'd rather remain Minnesotans, but there just aren't many "homey" looking houses available in Moorhead. Do you happen to know what the Moorhead "redevelopment" area is? It's close to MSUM (around 6th--don't remember if that's ave or st.). I've seen some nice-looking homes in that area, but I wonder what the area is being re-developed to or from?

Thanks--

Old 06-22-2007, 07:07 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Quote:

I'm not giving up on Moorhead yet. We'd rather remain Minnesotans, but there just aren't many "homey" looking houses available in Moorhead. Do you happen to know what the Moorhead "redevelopment" area is? It's close to MSUM (around 6th--don't remember if that's ave or st.). I've seen some nice-looking homes in that area, but I wonder what the area is being re-developed to or from?

Thanks--
Glad to be of help to you about Fargo. I am sorry but dont know much about Moorhead housing at all....hopefully someone else can help you out on that question.

Dan

Old 06-26-2007, 01:12 AM

253 posts, read 1,479,491 times

Gorgeous, convienant, and safe! I live around Broadway and 6th Ave and that's where I bought my house. Aside from property taxes, I see no real advantage to living in Moorhead over Fargo.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:13 AM

35 posts, read 131,843 times
Default north Fargo

If north Fargo isn't too distant from your work I would recommend it. The neighborhood east of Elm and north of 25th ave is very nice. We really like it, no flooding in spite of being close to the river, quiet, close to downtown and not so car-centric as other areas in Fargo. There is a mix of retired people and families.
Good luck

Old 06-26-2007, 11:34 AM

85 posts, read 374,793 times
Quote:
Do you happen to know what the Moorhead "redevelopment" area is? It's close to MSUM (around 6th--don't remember if that's ave or st.). I've seen some nice-looking homes in that area, but I wonder what the area is being re-developed to or from?
I don't know about that, but I do know that there's a neighborhood planning study being done for a large part of Moorhead surrounding the colleges. You can find some more info about that here: City of Moorhead

Old 06-26-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joestoes View Post
If north Fargo isn't too distant from your work I would recommend it. The neighborhood east of Elm and north of 25th ave is very nice. We really like it, no flooding in spite of being close to the river, quiet, close to downtown and not so car-centric as other areas in Fargo. There is a mix of retired people and families.
Good luck
How bad are taxes in that area? What types of houses?

Old 06-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Default rental question

Our house (in St. Cloud MN) has not sold yet, and my job in Moorhead starts mid August.

Does anyone know of someplace I could rent on a month-to-month basis? I don't want to sign a year-long lease because we want to buy a home there as soon as our current house sells.

I've heard about house-sitting types of situations--but where would I find something like that?

Ideas? I'm open to suggestions.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:55 AM

35 posts, read 131,843 times
Default north Fargo

Property taxes are high in Fargo, that's for sure, of course it depends on how much you spend on your home too, and the location. The area this home is in has not gone up so much in value to drive the taxes up. Unlike our home....yikes!
I hope this of of some assistance to you. I also have a friend that wants to rent her home down the street but it is huge and on the river so I'm thinking it would be too expensive, I don't know if she would do a month to month or not.

Last edited by Jammie; 06-27-2007 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Please use PM for that link and contact info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or