U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 23,221 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to North Dakota before the end of next year, and though it is still early. I have been doing some research into this. I've read that Fargo is a good place for younger couples..My husband is 25 and I am 27. I am born and raised in Dallas, Texas, so I know the north will be a dramatic change from this area. It gets insanely hot here and i can't take it much longer, i prefer the winters and snow..I am excited to see real live snow for once..lol..anyways, my real question is this...I work at a Medical Office and was wondering if there is any opportunity for that type of employment up there in North dakota. I know the population up there doesnt even compare to Dallas, Tx and thats what im looking forward too.. always wanted to live in a smaller city. Any advice or tips you can give me on moving and living up there would be very helpful. My husband has more experience in warehousing and manual labor, so any advice on the job types up there would be helpful too. Thank you in advance for the tips..Another question...i am white and my husband is black, will we experiencing racial issues?

P.S...would really appreciate your help on tips for driving in the snow and what are the chances of tornadoes out that way as well?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 12:11 PM

7 posts, read 20,257 times
Me and my family recently moved to minot, people here are very friendly i really doubt youll have issues with your husband being black. not sure about fargo but from what ive seen everyone is really nice. i havent spent a winter here yet but all the locals tell me it gets -40 and thats REALLY coold. i like the snow and cold weather too but thats just too cold. hopefully we can make it through the winter without being to miserable!! as far as work, it seems like everyone everywhere is hiring, im sure he wont have any trouble finding work, i know there doing a lot of building here so there will be a lot of work as long as the oil keeps pumpin! as far as tornadoes not really sure about the fargo area but we have had some warnings right outside of town and theres been a few funnel clouds out of town also. we plan on moving back to california next year so we have to stick out one winter here!!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,787 times
You likely wont have any race issues in Fargo as it's a larger city, winters aren't too bad, you need to have a block heater for your car and just drive slower. You shouldn't have trouble finding jobs[Mod Cut] ....good luck

Last edited by ElkHunter; 08-08-2010 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: New users cannot post links.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:09 PM

Default question

As i'm from dallas, i don't know what a block heater is or looks like? I appreciate the helpful advice.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:36 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,410,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJadeMiss View Post
As i'm from dallas, i don't know what a block heater is or looks like? I appreciate the helpful advice.
A block heater is a device that connects to water hoses in your engine compartment. It has a cord coming out from it that you plug into an outlet at your house. This device heats the water and circulates it through the engine keeping it warm.

If your car is newer then about 2000, a block heater does nothing for helping you start your car. Older cars had to be plugged in at night so they could be warm and be able to turn over the thick oil to get them started. Newer cars are fuel injected, computer controlled aluminum alloy engines that don't need it.

With todays cars, a block heater is handy because when you get ready to go to work, you can start up your car and the engine is already warm. Hence, you can turn on the heater and you will already get warm air.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,627,276 times
Default Alternate

There are also oil pan heaters that you can plug in rather than using a block heater. The last one I bought was $50 and had strong magnets that attached to the oil pan. You have to make sure it stays on as a hardened snow/ice pile can knock it off. A block heater is best but it can be expensive to install.

Personally, as you are from Dallas, you should rent for through the winter. I work in the Williston/Sidney area and am from Billings. The semi-locals (like me) and locals slightly chuckle about people coming up from TX, OK, LA, CA who move up for a job and can't hack the winter or the isolation. There's not a person in this state that will lie to them about the winters. Everything you've heard is true.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:23 PM

246 posts, read 903,866 times
Something to keep in mind, Fargo can get hot in the summer, and recently humid too. strange stuff.

As for racial issues, I wouldn't be concerned as my family falls into the make up like yours and I haven't had issues. Got more of the older generation actually coming up to us and commenting on how cute our kids are, I mean, literally, going out of there way to stop to see them.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 PM

thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it. What's the housing looking like over there? We've never owned a house, we've always rented apartments and would love to finally buy a house. What are the medical offices around there like...and are there many medical offices in Fargo. What sort of entertainment do they have?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:41 PM

418 posts, read 1,185,187 times
You may want to take a look at some of the following sites for additional Info:
Real estate: www.homeshq.com
Medical: www.sanfordhealth.org, www.innovishealth.com are the two major medical centers
Entertainment: www.fmopera.org, www.fmsymphony.org, www.jazzartsfm.com, www.fargotheatre.org, www.theatreb.org, to highlight just a few, and of course standard movie theaters.
Also take a look at www.fargomoorhead.org which is the site of the Convention & Visitors Bureau to get an idea of other attractions around town.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 PM

80 posts, read 180,918 times
Reading your questions kind of reminds me of myself when we were getting ready to move up here 21 years ago. In fact, I called information and asked if there was a Century 21 real estate company (figured if there was life here at all there would have to be a Century 21 agent) and asked her if the people lived in igloos. Sounds stupid, I know, but if you've never been here and all you've heard are the horror stories, you really don't know what to expect.

As far as Fargo, it's a decent sized small town. It has been growing rapidly and expanding to the south and to the west. My daughter is a reading recovery teacher there and tells me Fargo has quite a diverse population -- still probably prominately Norwegian descent, but they have a lot of immigrants (hispanic, somolian, etc) that have moved there in recent years. Crime, compared to other parts of the country is relatively low; but you probably still want to check out areas and neighborhoods with the local police department before you move in. Fargo and West Fargo have a LOT of new construction housing going on and overall their prices seem to be a bit lower than in Grand Forks where I live, but quite frankly may seem high compared to Texas prices. Shopping in Fargo is good, as far as your big box and corporate retail stores. You should be able to find just about anything you need; if not you make a weekend run to Minneapolis to get your speciality items. There is a nice selection of restaurant too. As far as medical facilities -- I think the larger ND cities (Fargo, Grand Forks and possibly Bismarck) have excellent doctors, clinics and hospitals. I know in Grand Forks nurses are always in high demand, and would presume Fargo would be about the same. As far as things to do -- it may be a bit different than you're used to. ND (or at least Grand Forks) isn't very stong on cultural activities -- for entertainment people BBQ, go to the movies or rent a video, golf, fish, bike or ride motorcycles, play tennis or baseball -- lot of athletic activities, go camping, and in the summer families that have lake places in MN spent a lot of their weekend at the lake. Winter activities include snowmobiling, ice fishing, cross country skiing, sledding (if you can find a hill) and a lot of us spend time doing things indoors because we don't like being out in the cold all that much.

And, you can't talk about ND without talking about the cold. I will say I've lived all over the world, and I haven't found anyplace that has nicer summers than we have up here in ND. The winters are long, and they are cold. Everybody talks about the 40 below -- and we do get that, but for the most part that doesn't last all winter, and a lot of the winter is a lot more bearable. January and February are usually the highest heat bill months because that's usually when it really gets bitter. The rest of the winter won't be quite as bad, but honestly, many years winter will start sometime in October and we won't see thaw until late April or sometime in the first part of May.

That being said, driving conditions really (usually) aren't that bad up here. We moved up here from Omaha, and have to say driving was a lot worse there than here because they'd get the snow, then it would melt and then freeze up causing bad icing problems. Here were get lots of snow, but usually once it freezes it stays cold until spring, so we don't run into a whole lot of that freeze/thaw/freeze affect. On bad blizzard days (once or twice a year) most businesses will close down and you just stay home. Usually by the next day its clear and usually the roads (at least the major ones) will already be plowed out. Sometimes the side streets get a little difficult to maneuver, but they're pretty good about keeping things cleaned off. I've never had any problem getting around with a front wheel drive car; my husband does have a 4 wheel drive truck. I wouldn't advise moving up here and thinking you'll do okay with a rear wheel drive vehicle -- too much slipping and spinning.

Sounds like you're pretty set on your plans, but if you don't mind, I would make one suggestion: I'm a realtor here and last winter spent some time corresponding back and forth with a young couple from Florida who had decided to move up here because housing is very affordable in some of the small towns outside the major metro areas, and because there are jobs here. After a couple months they made a trip up here to find a place to buy, and they were then going to go back down and get there stuff and move up. Actually at that point they had family members that were thinking about moving up too because of the healthy economy and jobs. Well, they got here -- unfortunately during probably the coldest weekend of the winter -- and we spent a day driving around and looking at houses. Once they got here they realized their clothing wasn't nearly warm enough, so they bought warm coats, boots, hats, gloves -- the works -- and still couldn't get warm. I think that night the temperature dropped to around 65 below. I was supposed to meet up with them the next day to look at some more houses, and they never showed...Finally called the motel and the clerk said they'd checked out and headed for home. It was so cold they just couldn't imagine living here. I'm not trying to scare anyone off, but if you have a choice in the matter of moving (some people don't -- military...) I'd really suggest you make a trip or two up here to check it out before loading up the moving van. A trip in the summer would be great because then you would see that we do have some really beautiful weather -- but you should also visit during the winter just so you know what you're signing up for. There's no way to imagine ahead of time 40 below mean temp with a wind chill of 80 below; but we typically do have some of that kind of weather during our winter season -- and frankly, there are some people that really are not going to want to buy into that. Better to know up front what you're getting -- before you spend the money making the move.

That being said, I wish you the best of luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or