Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 AM

559 posts, read 1,465,826 times

Advertisements

I guess that makes sense but I have never experienced it anywhere else like I have in ND. Every state is different but that makes it really difficult for a lot of people who are nice and decent and take care of their animals and keep houses clean to find somewhere to live. It's like one person just ruined it all for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 10:36 PM

10 posts, read 81,110 times
I am having trouble finding a place in fargo nd as well and my cat is a senior fixed, declawed and litter trained). Never been a problem in Nevada, California, Boston or Michigan (same cat). I just lost my mother last year and now after 12 years and moving two days ago to Fargo I am faced with the decision to either snap the cat's neck, force her to fend for her own (without claws) or see if they have animal shelters.

It breaks my heart as she is the last of my family and I don't know what else to do except become homeless. So glad I served my country just to lose everything for the very people I defended.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 AM

635 posts, read 1,654,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winningjob View Post
I am having trouble finding a place in fargo nd as well and my cat is a senior fixed, declawed and litter trained). Never been a problem in Nevada, California, Boston or Michigan (same cat). I just lost my mother last year and now after 12 years and moving two days ago to Fargo I am faced with the decision to either snap the cat's neck, force her to fend for her own (without claws) or see if they have animal shelters.

It breaks my heart as she is the last of my family and I don't know what else to do except become homeless. So glad I served my country just to lose everything for the very people I defended.
Thing that bothers me too...is why would you charge a non-refundable deposit of a $1000 if after the tenant moved out you see that no carpets needs replacing, no damage from pet and you can keep their $1000. That's not really a deposit is it? It needs to be called an additional fee.

I think a landlord can get bamboozled but does have option to deduct costs from deposit I also think if the tenant can't give up their pet...they give up their money altogether. I see both sides of it. But I have a dog (about a 40lb) Beagle/Shepherd mix and the thought of giving her up after surviving the Joplin Tornado with us huddled by a wall in the living room together....just kills me inside.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
my husband and I are in desperate need to find a place in Fargo in 2 weeks. I know most places dont allow a dog but my dog is a service dog and have had no complaints from previous landlords. we also have bad credit due to losing a business. not looking for anything fancy 1 or 2 bedroom price range around 500 or 600 contact Janet wateland 218-234-0545

Old 10-11-2013, 05:18 PM

231 posts, read 872,841 times
Try this for starters.

fargo apts/housing for rent classifieds "dogs" - craigslist

Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
If it is a registered Service Dog, you do not need to look for apartments that allow pets. Service Dogs are welcome at any place to rent, just like motels, you need not search for a motel that is pet friendly, they are requried to accept registered service animals. Just make sure you have your paperwork handy, and don't pack it away where you can't find it.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:15 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,088 times
I can chime back in here, as this thread has been brought back from the dead.

I have rentals, just had a tenant of 3 years moved out, and you can't believe the stench left from the cat. It is so horribly disheartening. We had just replaced the carpet before they moved in. NOW I am forced to repaint the whole place, replace carpets, and take an entire week of spraying pet enzyme odor remover in the basement. When you enter the basement your eyes start to run, and you can only be in there for a couple of minutes.

By the time it is all said and done there will be $3500 + in damages and cleaning.

So I have a $500 rental deposit, and $500 NON refundable pet fee (notice I didn't say deposit). What do you suppose my chances of collecting on the extra $$ I am owed?

Now these are "honest, good hard working, people who have great pets".

Doesn't everyone say their kids are great and well behaved? Yet look at the amount of juvenile crime that happens.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:29 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I realize that there was an old post but somebody mentioned that having pets, and renting, was a North Dakota problem. No, it's not. I moderate, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming, and there are threads, about pets and renting, in every one of those. It's not a North Dakota problem, it's a pet problem.

A lot of people don't understand about the chemicals in pet urine and how it effects people that don't have pets. Being around it all day long, a person tends to not notice it, but a person with ashma, or alergy's, and no pets, will notice it immediately, and it will make them sick.

The part I get a kick out of is when people say, "I took my pet to a obedience class, so it is well trained." Ah, no, it's not. I train animals. My service dog was worked with, 3 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 2 years before I would even allow her too be tested. She is now 4 years old and I still work with her for a minimum of 1 hour a day, 7 days a week. Because of my health, I am hospitalized fairly frequently for 3-5 days. Without me working with my dog for that 3 days, I can notice a difference in her behavior. So a well behaved dog, is not what I would call most dogs.

Now, having said that, when I was a property owner, I still rented to people with pets. But I was very particular during the screening. If people said, "My pet will never..." I stopped listening. If people said, "I understand that even though my dog is good, there will be accidents and I am willing to do the best I can to clean it up." Then I was interested on them being renters.

With a dog that is a service dog, there is no choice on behalf of the landlord. But, you also have a greater responsibility to make sure everything is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: