Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 9,624 times

Advertisements

My brother is in the oil field in umm well some town that starts with a T. LOL Tioga i believe. I have been searching and searching for rentals for him in several different locations around the area. I have come up with nothing. Who would of thought it would be so hard to find rental property. He is not a very computer literate person. So Here I am doing the research. I have found a mess load of apartments. Which is fine. But which are good and which are bad. Any suggestions. Would much rather go with a house. But its not looking like that is going to happen. He currently lives in Oklahoma. Lawton/Ft Sill to be exact. Which is a military town. Its easy to come by houses here. Plus several rental companies. He is planning on moving himself his fiancee and their two boys up there. Apparently the travel is going to be horrid. Seeing as I have heard it is currently a white out up there. So therefore he doesn't want to deal with the 17 hours back and forth through the lovely weather up there. If anyone knows of any sites for rental homes or anyone that actually has a home for rent. Maybe even a decent apartment that allows pets. It would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 04:10 PM

581 posts, read 2,213,397 times
www.theshopperinc.net - classified paper with rentals/homes for sale in towards the back of the paper

www.willistonnd.com - many good links on this site for Williston info. Also check out the RELOCATION GUIDE on the ride side of the home page.

Good luck. Housing is very tough to come by. The only good thing about the snow today is that some people that can't handle the ND winters might be heading back home. That might open up some places for you but there is a huge demand for housing in Williston. Minot would be a better place to look.

Fargo is on the other side of the state from the oilfield. 420 miles from Williston. 7 hours or so.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 9,624 times
Oh wow ok.. Thanks so much. Well we grew up in Jersey so we are not strangers to cold and snow and blizzards. I miss having four seasons. Well Im going to have to keep missing it lol seeing how im not the one moving up there.. Either way once again thank you.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:41 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,210,376 times
Default Pets

I'm assuming he hasn't been up to ND yet as some of the questions you are asking are similar to what has been asked when people are not familiar with the area.

Other posters have stated SEVERE difficulty renting anything, much less one that allows pets. Landlords in the Bakken area appear to not to accept pets at all. Given that he is moving from Oklahoma, he will have an extreme case of sticker shock. Houses are by and large not available for rent unless you know someone locally. Utilities will run $100+ for a month. Towns average being an hour apart in good weather, 2-3 hours in bad. Food prices are closer to NJ prices than OK.

Work does shut down during white-out/blizzards but does not shut down for normal cold or snow.

Even with winter-wimps, Tioga/Ray/Stanley is not an area to just show up without having housing lined up. Hotels average bookings 2-3 weeks in advance at a minimum unless you want to be in Minot or Dickinson and drive in. Also, it is hockey season so the oil workers are having to deal with hockey tournaments filling hotels (or is it the other way 'round?).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo