U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 04:11 AM

10 posts, read 36,924 times

Advertisements

I need to be in Fargo for 1 day. Looks like Amtrak is the cheapest way to go. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help with. When get into Fargo at 3:30 AM will I feel safe waiting around for awhile at the train station? I have a meeting at 8:00 AM, so will have some time to kill. Is there any type of diner close by that I would be able to go have a cup of coffee and/or breakfast to kill some time? Will it be possible for me to get a taxi to get me across town?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:31 AM

418 posts, read 1,185,187 times
First of all, during the winter months it's rare that Amtrak makes it into Fargo on schedule. So you may not have as much time to kill as you might think. There are almost always a couple of taxis waiting when the train arrives just because there is no longer term parking at the Amtrak station so people need to either use a taxi or arrange for someone to pick them up.
The bars close at 2 p.m., so 3 am or so can get as dicey as downtown Fargo would ever get. The train station isn't terribly comfortable. I'm not sure what direction you're coming from but the schedule used to be that the station opened around 11 for the 12:30 Empire Builder coming in from the West. Then it stayed open through the arrival of the train from Mpls at around 5 am. The station is closed during the day. You might want to double-check the hours of operation of the station.
The 24 hours diners are pretty much all located by the interstates. The closest thing I can think of near the train station that opens early is Atomic Coffee on Broadway between 2nd & 3rd Aves. They do have breakfast pastries (not a hot breakfast) and they're open at 6:30 am.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,702,209 times
There's also the Fryin' Pan on Main Ave, which is 24 hour.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:44 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,884,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
First of all, during the winter months it's rare that Amtrak makes it into Fargo on schedule. So you may not have as much time to kill as you might think. There are almost always a couple of taxis waiting when the train arrives just because there is no longer term parking at the Amtrak station so people need to either use a taxi or arrange for someone to pick them up.
The bars close at 2 p.m., so 3 am or so can get as dicey as downtown Fargo would ever get. The train station isn't terribly comfortable. I'm not sure what direction you're coming from but the schedule used to be that the station opened around 11 for the 12:30 Empire Builder coming in from the West. Then it stayed open through the arrival of the train from Mpls at around 5 am. The station is closed during the day. You might want to double-check the hours of operation of the station.
The 24 hours diners are pretty much all located by the interstates. The closest thing I can think of near the train station that opens early is Atomic Coffee on Broadway between 2nd & 3rd Aves. They do have breakfast pastries (not a hot breakfast) and they're open at 6:30 am.
Any one here know if the Amtrak situation is similar in Grand Forks? I wanted to take the train in to Grand Forks next month, but it gets in a 4:40 am. I looked at the station on Google Maps, it doesn't look like anything is close by. Is it possible to get a cab at that hour? Given it will be early January I don't think it would be wise to walk a long distance if it might be -20 outside.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:09 PM

23 posts, read 67,702 times
Yeah, you definitely don't want to be walking from the station. The station is on the west end of town past I-29, and that area isn't very pedestrian friendly in the summer, let alone the winter.

There should be several cab services that can pick you up that early (I know Grand Forks Taxi operates 24/7). You'll probably want to give them a call ahead of time.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:18 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Any one here know if the Amtrak situation is similar in Grand Forks? I wanted to take the train in to Grand Forks next month, but it gets in a 4:40 am. I looked at the station on Google Maps, it doesn't look like anything is close by. Is it possible to get a cab at that hour? Given it will be early January I don't think it would be wise to walk a long distance if it might be -20 outside.
Our NWS office is on the west end and quite close to the Amtrack station which is off Demers about a mile or so west of the Interstate. Nothing is close by...but yes cabs will operate at that hour. I wouldnt really walk along Demers at that time of night and pass the interstate. There is a 24/7 Cenex on the other side of the Interstate on DeMers....you would walk there in about 20 min... but no place to walk as snow may be too deep on the curb and you dont want to walk in the street. As weathergal said call ahead and let them know you want to be picked up.....no problem I have known several work folks who have done this.

--Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo