U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:32 PM

33 posts, read 107,230 times

Advertisements

Hello ND Forum:
Greetings from NYC. I am a teacher. I am planning to move to Fargo sometime at the end of this year with my family. After doing a lot of research I realized that North Dakota could be a far better place to raise a family than NYC. I am married and have an eight month old daughter. I am originally from South Asia.
I don’t like very cold weather but that’s the compromise we have to make. I hope we’ll adopt.
I have a few questions … may be someone can answer…
How are the employment agencies in Fargo? Are they really helpful?
I came to know that there are a lot of apartment complexes in Fargo as I see on the internet search. The problem is that all the apartment managers say their neighborhood is good. If I share any addresses of apartment complex in Fargo (In the private Message), can anyone tell me what type of neighborhood is that?
I don’t know anybody there in ND… No friends or relatives. I hope through this forum I’ll be able to make a few good friends. I might be a little too early to start my search about things related to Fargo, but its better early than late.
I am looking forward to hearing from you. Have a nice weekend everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:04 PM

394 posts, read 1,047,186 times
There are really very few "bad parts" of Fargo. Moorhead has a few neighborhoods that aren't the best, but probably nothing like you see in N.Y.

Do you plan on becoming a teacher in Fargo?

Old 02-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Smile reply

Thanks for your reply. So if U were me which part of Fargo would U choose to rent an apartment?

Yes I would like to be a Teacher in Fargo. I know it might take sometime to get a decent job so I am pretty flexible for work. I would do any job to make both ends meet till I get a job I deserve?

In our institution we have mostly immigrant students. I guess this kind of set up will not be present in ND so it might be difficult to get into teaching, but I hope I'll be able to find something.

one more q... just curious why Coen Borthers named their 1996 movie "Fargo"? why they named it Fargo... Is there anything people from Fargo
has to say bout it?
Thanksss

Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,976 times
I lived in Fargo for 2 years, and I would say rent an apartment anywhere. Fargo has a ton of apartment complexes to offer and very few are "bad". The newer apartments south of town are really nice, but you really can't go wrong renting anywhere. Fargo is a great place to live!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:49 AM

418 posts, read 1,185,647 times
Because there are three universities/colleges that all have education programs, yes--teaching jobs in the Fargo area can be very hard to come by. However, if you have an ELL specialty, there might be more opportunities. Fargo actually has a fair number of New Americans being resettled into the area. We have Sudanese, Somalis, Bhutanese, Iraqis, and Liberians just to name a few of the major groups coming here.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:28 PM

Thanks for your replies.
what about the Goldmark property management listings on their website? anybody has any experience of living in their apartment buildings. Many deals in south and southwest Fargo look good to me...but anybody who actually lived there?
what is the day like in Fargo when it is around minus 30 or something? is business closed? do you still go to work etc?
Thanksss

Old 02-11-2011, 05:36 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,085,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer37 View Post
Thanks for your replies.
what about the Goldmark property management listings on their website? anybody has any experience of living in their apartment buildings. Many deals in south and southwest Fargo look good to me...but anybody who actually lived there?
what is the day like in Fargo when it is around minus 30 or something? is business closed? do you still go to work etc?
Thanksss
I can't answer the Goldmark question as I have never rented from them....

But as a meteorologist I can answer the weather one.... -30F doesnt occur every winter, and when it does it would be for a brief period late at night or early morning as the low temperature. The coldest daytime highs in most winters would be 5 to 10 below zero like this winter and the number of those you can usually count on one hand. Now having highs zero to 10 above is way more frequent with lows say 15 to 20 below...that is much more common.

That said, life goes on as normal. If we do have extreme cold (below -30F or wind chills below -40F) then some school districts might have a 2 hr delay and in extremely rare circumstances close. But those are the rural districts with more busing issues. The city districts like Fargo-WF and others rarely close. Businesses remain open and we all go to work just like a summer day.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,702,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer37 View Post
Thanks for your replies.
Thanksss
I rented from Goldmark many years ago, and really had no problems with them. Bear in mind that they are a very large property company, and so your mileage may vary dependent upon who the resident management is and how they operate.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 PM

thankssss a lot...
I will probably be renting form Gold mark when the time comes.
one more thing I am stuck with is that my moving cost will almost be equal to the original buying cost of major items in my apartment. So what should I do? should I just sell the items and move without them... (but selling wont give me even the third of the amount of all the items due to depreciation over years...computer, TV, DVD Player, sofa set, dining table , mattress etc)
So what should I do? what is the best course of action?
thanksss

Old 02-12-2011, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,400 times
I believe the Coen Brothers have said that "Fargo" just sounded better than "Brainerd," one of the other sites in the film. I'm afraid Fargo just has a reputation for being just about the end of the world, a reputation it doesn't entirely deserve. It's about a 3-hour drive (depending on your speed) from Minneapolis, and actually quite close to the lake country in western Minnesota-- Detroit Lakes is one of the larger, better-known lake towns. I'm from there and my mom is a retired teacher, but I'm afraid I can't give you any contacts in the school system. Good schools, though. Most of the apartments are in rather large tracts on the south side, but the north side has some nice apartments in quieter residential areas. You could also check out the want ads for apartments in private homes, or smaller apartment buildings. It's a nice town, if you can stand the winter temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or