U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:22 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,341,378 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Currently living in MA, looking at grad schools, prepared to relocate to just about anywhere in the U.S. (not much choice, as there aren't many good graduate programs in my field in MA). I'm considering Moorhead State (Minnesota State at Moorhead?), among others, and need to know whether living in Fargo/Moorhead will work for me. Money's tight, so I won't have a car at first, maybe not the whole time I'm in school. Is it possible to find a place to live in this area that's affordable on a student budget, and is within walking distance of campus, shopping, entertainment, etc.?

I'm older than the typical student, and would prefer living where there wouldn't be so much of a heavy student party scene nearby. Not having to share an apartment would be preferable as well. Doesn't have to be a big place--a studio would be fine. Is there on-campus housing that might work? If not, I don't mind a bit of a walk, but would prefer being no more than about a mile from campus, so I wouldn't spend all day getting places.

Speaking of transportation, how late do the local transit busses run?

Hey, and anything else a newcomer would need to know? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 11:39 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,066,475 times
I think you could work it out if you went to MSU-M, the campus isn't too far from downtown. The only problem would be the cold in the dead of winter but if you can handle that it shouldn't be too bad. Here are some links you should probably check out...

Busing
Metro Area Transit: Fargo, North Dakota and Moorhead, Minnesota

Housing
Apartments HQ is your headquarters for Red River Valley area apartments

Map(13th Ave Fargo is the main entertainment area but downtown(main ave) also has plenty of options)
Chamber of Commerce of Fargo Moorhead Interactive Map (http://www.novoprint.com/Fargo/zoom.html - broken link)

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Last edited by FargoBison; 07-22-2007 at 11:51 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 AM

157 posts, read 647,948 times
Having worked in Moorhead, I can tell you that the winters are HARSH! As someone already posted, MSU is near downtown. Fargo lies across from the Red River. It's a l0000000ng stretch to downtown Fargo.

All things considered, I'd buy a cheap used car to get around in. Then you could take off west and spend time in the Black Hills of North Dakota.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Hey, thanks for the warning about the harsh winters, but . . . how can I explain this? Well, I used to live in Ohio, where the winters aren't anywhere near as cold as yours are on average, but then there was this one winter that was colder than average. All of January and about the first half of February, it was similar to your typical winter (at least judging from what I've read about average temperatures), maybe even a little colder. I used to go out for walks in that weather, not because I had anywhere in particular I needed to get to, but just to get out and walk around and breathe in that really cold air and enjoy how fresh it felt, and appreciate the sparkle of the sun in the snow.

Another winter there was a blizzard. I'm not talking your basic heavy snow storm here. I mean a BLIZZARD: frigid temperatures, blasting wind, near-whiteout conditions. So, of course, I had to bundle up and go out for a long walk. Didn't walk out to the country where there wouldn't have been anyone to help if I'd gotten into trouble (I'm not COMPLETELY crazy), but I did have a nice long stroll around town.

The thing is, I LIKE being outside, in all kinds of weather. I appreciate the warnings about the weather. I'm sure that sometimes people move to your area and don't really understand what they're getting into. I really don't think it would be a problem for me, though. I mostly want to make sure I don't have to spend so much TIME walking around to get the basic everyday things taken care of that I spend half the day just getting from here to there. It would be helpful, though, to get some clue as to what clothing is standard for staying safe and comfortable during the wintertime there.

Anyone know about on-campus housing for older students (this would be at Moorhead State). If that's workable, it would be worth looking into for the sake of convenience. I'd be looking for something QUIET. A smaller apartment I didn't have to share would be preferable as well.

I checked out the interactive map you provided the link for, Bison. Pretty cool.

Thanks for all the info, everyone, and take care.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:55 PM

212 posts, read 983,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Hey, thanks for the warning about the harsh winters, but . . . how can I explain this? Well, I used to live in Ohio, where the winters aren't anywhere near as cold as yours are on average, but then there was this one winter that was colder than average. ...
The thing is, I LIKE being outside, in all kinds of weather. I appreciate the warnings about the weather. I'm sure that sometimes people move to your area and don't really understand what they're getting into. I really don't think it would be a problem for me, though. I mostly want to make sure I don't have to spend so much TIME walking around to get the basic everyday things taken care of that I spend half the day just getting from here to there. It would be helpful, though, to get some clue as to what clothing is standard for staying safe and comfortable during the wintertime there.
Anyone know about on-campus housing for older students (this would be at Moorhead State). If that's workable, it would be worth looking into for the sake of convenience. I'd be looking for something QUIET. A smaller apartment I didn't have to share would be preferable as well.
Thanks for all the info, everyone, and take care.
Winter is my favorite season, and I like being outdoors too. I am originally from Michigan (Detroit area), I've lived in St Cloud, MN for over 20 years, and I am moving to Fargo/Moorhead in 2 weeks. There is a big difference in Michigan/Ohio winters and MN/ND winters.

The biggest difference is due to the contour of the land. MI/OH have more rolling hills and trees to protect a person from the wind. It is so flat in the Red River Valley that there is no protection from whipping wind--and it does really whip out there! There are permanent bars (like railroad crossings) to close off the interstate (I94) in the winter, for goodness sake!

Anyway, I, too, wanted to walk to/from work (which is the same as your destination: MSUM). It's do-able if you live near the university. It's do-able for us outdoorsy types if we live even a mile or so away b/c in town there are buildings and trees for protection. But in the winter, I wouldn't even try to walk or bike from Fargo to Moorhead. You'd be chapped beyond recognition after crossing over the bridge! There is public transit (bus), but I don't know the routes yet.

Clothes: warm and sensible. For walking great distances, a coat that will wick away moisture and provide lots of warmth is good. People really do wear Sorrell type boots here, and hats, and scarves, and gloves or mittens (which are warmer than gloves).

As for housing: Last weekend, we were in F/M trying to find temporary housing as we continue to wait for a buyer for our home in St Cloud. Omigosh--what a depressing trip that was!! At the risk of giving away my age, I haven't rented in 29 years, so the rental scene was quite a shock to me.

First, I would discourage anything in north Moorhead b/c there are trains that will delay your walk (which addresses the time issue). In extreme cold conditions, I don't think you'll want to be jogging in place at the train tracks too often--and those trains are FREQUENT!

There are LOTS of apartments south of MSUM--just off the interstate, either left or right off the exit ramp. (Depends if you want trees or not.) There are also apartments around the Romkey Park area, but that area doesn't look so good to me. It seems a bit more run down than other parts of town.

One word of advice: If you're looking for an apt, bring a cell phone. We were very frustrated to go to "open houses" at apartment complexes only to find the manager's office locked and a note on the door saying to call if we wanted to see something. We don't have a cell phone.

As for "quiet": good luck! It's a college town! However, we found that some of the more expensive complexes and twin homes had no-tolerance policies in place for loud parties or drunken behavior. The cheaper places--and especially the rundown, "student ghetto" types of single-family houses near the university didn't seem to have such policies in place.

Oh--and check the leases. Do you want to stay all year or just through the school year? Lots of places require a yearlong lease. If they agree to a shorter lease, they usually bump the rent between 6 and 10 percent.

For on-campus housing options, you can check <www.mnstate.edu/housing>.
I don't think there are any dorms limited to "older" students, but there might be housing limited to graduate students (which implies a certain amount of maturity and seriousness, but does not assure it).

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Thanks for the info!

Some good info here Snowland. Those details about the apartments in various parts of town really fill in the picture well. Thanks too for specific suggestions about clothing. I'm looking at schools in a couple of places with major-league winters, and have had a few people suggest wearing the same clothes during winter that I'd wear in MA. Well, no, MA winters are pretty brisk, but they're not in the same category. To find SERIOUS winter in New Eng. you have to go well up into Maine, maybe up in the mountains in northern NH. In MA, most winters I never wear anything heavier than a spring-fall jacket, with maybe a sweater underneath during cold spells. True, maybe a lot of people aren't as outdoorsy as I am, and they bundle up more than that, but I'm sure I'd need to wear substantially heavier clothing around F/M than I usually wear back east here.

But, a little info here, and a little more there, and the picture fills in. Thanks again, everyone, for all your help!

Old 08-01-2007, 01:12 PM

731 posts, read 523,193 times
I used to live in Moorhead and attended Concordia College back in the 1970's, which is very close to MSU. My senior year I lived in the trailer court out by the bowling alley toward Dilworth. It was about a 4 mile walk. I had a roommate with a car but on days she was unavailable I had to hoof it. The buses were not that reliable but that was in the 70's so maybe they have changed- but the winters definitely have not changed. I enjoyed the exercise and the winter hoofing could be rough, but that was the only place I could afford to live. In my junior year I lived in the apartments out by the Speakeasy (maybe it is still there?) I remember walking in the wind and snow and being totally miserable, but if a bus came along they would stop and pick me up. Good luck- the people are so friendly there compared to other parts of the US- that should compensate for any frigid hikes that come your way. I live in Las Vegas now and would never go back as one does not have to shovel heat! The other "hazard" for walkers is the smell of the sugar beet processing plants in the summer, it can become a bit overpowering.

If you do get a car, don't forget to plug in the tank heater in the winter!

You may want to contact the student union as this time of year everyone is scrambling to relocate and there may be some ads there that would appeal.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:52 PM

212 posts, read 983,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Some good info here Snowland. Those details about the apartments in various parts of town really fill in the picture well. Thanks too for specific suggestions about clothing. I'm looking at schools in a couple of places with major-league winters, and have had a few people suggest wearing the same clothes during winter that I'd wear in MA. Well, no, MA winters are pretty brisk, but they're not in the same category. To find SERIOUS winter in New Eng. you have to go well up into Maine, maybe up in the mountains in northern NH. In MA, most winters I never wear anything heavier than a spring-fall jacket, with maybe a sweater underneath during cold spells. True, maybe a lot of people aren't as outdoorsy as I am, and they bundle up more than that, but I'm sure I'd need to wear substantially heavier clothing around F/M than I usually wear back east here.
My son lives in Boston and we've been to MA to see him several times. The difference that I've noticed in winter weather is that it's much damper in MA than in Minnesota. That damp-cold can be bone chilling, but the blustery cold of the open prairie really stings your skin.

And yes, in MA it stays warm longer in the fall and then it warms up sooner in the spring. Last year, at the end of October, we left 40 degree weather, bare trees, and dormant grass in MN only to find flowers still blooming, trees displaying peak color, and temps in the upper 70s and low 80s in Boston! I was (pleasantly) surprised by that.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
I used to live in Moorhead and attended Concordia College back in the 1970's, which is very close to MSU. My senior year I lived in the trailer court out by the bowling alley toward Dilworth. It was about a 4 mile walk. I had a roommate with a car but on days she was unavailable I had to hoof it. The buses were not that reliable but that was in the 70's so maybe they have changed- but the winters definitely have not changed. I enjoyed the exercise and the winter hoofing could be rough, but that was the only place I could afford to live. In my junior year I lived in the apartments out by the Speakeasy (maybe it is still there?) I remember walking in the wind and snow and being totally miserable, but if a bus came along they would stop and pick me up. Good luck- the people are so friendly there compared to other parts of the US- that should compensate for any frigid hikes that come your way. I live in Las Vegas now and would never go back as one does not have to shovel heat! The other "hazard" for walkers is the smell of the sugar beet processing plants in the summer, it can become a bit overpowering.

If you do get a car, don't forget to plug in the tank heater in the winter!

You may want to contact the student union as this time of year everyone is scrambling to relocate and there may be some ads there that would appeal.
Thank you for all this detailed info. It's very helpful to get an insider's view of what specific neighborhoods are like. Definitely sounds as if this area will fit with my needs. Now we'll see what happens with applications to the grad schools themselves!

Now I'm kind of wondering about your username. My grand, romantic view of this is that you were born on a day that a tornado hit your hometown. Whatever the reason for the name, um, well, a username like Tornado Baby . . . and you lived in a TRAILER COURT? That's a BAD combination. Congratulations on making it through alive.

And, once again, thanks for all the good info. Take care.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 PM

Default comparative weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
My son lives in Boston and we've been to MA to see him several times. The difference that I've noticed in winter weather is that it's much damper in MA than in Minnesota. That damp-cold can be bone chilling, but the blustery cold of the open prairie really stings your skin.

And yes, in MA it stays warm longer in the fall and then it warms up sooner in the spring. Last year, at the end of October, we left 40 degree weather, bare trees, and dormant grass in MN only to find flowers still blooming, trees displaying peak color, and temps in the upper 70s and low 80s in Boston! I was (pleasantly) surprised by that.
Of course the factors that determine climate are complex, but maybe you do get somewhat later springs and earlier falls in Fargo than the way the seasons go in MA. After all, you are farther north. I will tell you, though, that if you were in MA in late October and were seeing highs like the ones you mention here, there was definitely a little Indian Summer action going on. Like any place with a four-season climate, MA has rather changeable weather, especially in spring and fall, the turnover seasons. Something closer to an average day there in late October would be a day with a little chill in the air, enough to be refreshing.

Thanks again for all the info about your area, including the warning about the dry, blustery cold. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or