U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:19 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,526,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Right, the housing shortage in western North Dakota is all just a part of my imagination.

Meanwhile, I heard Gramma Sharon's here in Williston has had to close during meal times because of a lack of staff.
I've noticed Gramma Sharon's closed several times at dinner time. I was wondering what was going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 PM

16,502 posts, read 20,055,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I've heard about the employment sistuation in ND, but folks also say that most of those jobs are service jobs (save for NW ND) that don't pay squat...maybe that's why they can't fill them?
Jobs! Jobs! But they don't say: Is it a low-paying A Job or a higher paying The Job.

The situation here in Las Vegas has gotten so dire, my desperate green-card Mexican roommate of 12 years was working last month, doing back-breaking work, for $30 a day, cash under the table. $30 divided by 8 = $4.75 an hour.

His brother owns a grocery store in Guadalajara, Mexico, and has offered him a job down there for $150 a week, $30 a day. And there, his house is paid for, one half being rented out for $100 a month, and with excellent public transit, he doesn't need a car, utility bills all but nothing.

Why send him up to Williston to help keep a restaurant open, where he'll need a car and pay booku dollars for rent!

We're so seriously overbuilt here with housing, and him with his construction experience, he'll be better off in Mexico. Adios!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,713,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Jobs! Jobs! But they don't say: Is it a low-paying A Job or a higher paying The Job.

The situation here in Las Vegas has gotten so dire, my desperate green-card Mexican roommate of 12 years was working last month, doing back-breaking work, for $30 a day, cash under the table. $30 divided by 8 = $4.75 an hour.

His brother owns a grocery store in Guadalajara, Mexico, and has offered him a job down there for $150 a week, $30 a day. And there, his house is paid for, one half being rented out for $100 a month, and with excellent public transit, he doesn't need a car, utility bills all but nothing.

Why send him up to Williston to help keep a restaurant open, where he'll need a car and pay booku dollars for rent!

We're so seriously overbuilt here with housing, and him with his construction experience, he'll be better off in Mexico. Adios!
Clearly you don't know anything about the situation up here. If the only job your friend can get in Williston is at Gramma Sharon's then clearly he wasn't looking hard enough.

I know guys working for temp agencies bringing in $50k+ a year. It really just depends on how hard you're willing to work. Lots of the guys up here are willing to live in campers or share rooms with others because there is money to be made up here. But you have to work hard for it. There are even places up here that will pay for your housing (just like in Mexico) for you to come up here.

So... your roommate could take the job in Mexico making $150 a week and pay no rent making $7,800 a year.

Or in Williston if he gets hired by the right company he could easily make over $75,000 in a year and have them take care of his housing too.

Hmmm... I wonder which one is the better opportunity.

Like I said though, you have to be willing to bust your ass in these jobs, it's not easy work. There are days where you'll be working 20+ hours and only getting a few hours of sleep before going out again. You will work outside whether it's 120 degrees or -50.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,713,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I've noticed Gramma Sharon's closed several times at dinner time. I was wondering what was going on.
Ya, it's happened during some lunch times too when I've gone over there. My husband wanted me to get a job there, even with lower tips that get left sometimes I've heard some of the staff say they're making a LOT of money.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 PM

16,502 posts, read 20,055,588 times
Quote:
Clearly you don't know anything about the situation up here.

I know guys working for temp agencies bringing in $50k+ a year. It really just depends on how hard you're willing to work. Lots of the guys up here are willing to live in campers or share rooms with others because there is money to be made up here. But you have to work hard for it. There are even places up here that will pay for your housing (just like in Mexico) for you to come up here.

So... your roommate could take the job in Mexico making $150 a week and pay no rent making $7,800 a year.

Or in Williston if he gets hired by the right company he could easily make over $75,000 in a year and have them take care of his housing too.

Hmmm... I wonder which one is the better opportunity.
Since the downturn here 4+? years ago, my roommate has lost too much ground. He's not only lost his truck & car (both of marginal value) but his English is marginal at best.

The contractor he worked for who kept him busy 7/365 during the boom times had his house and truck repossessed, now living with his daughter, who was generous enough to buy him a used truck, but little or no work, not enough to sustain him, let alone my roommate.

My construction worker neighbor 2 doors down has been living in a tent, in his mother's courtyard, with his wife and dog the last 3 years. Occasionally, I see him dinkering with his aged truck, but you need some cash infusion to make the trek up there and get started again.

That $7800 a year is understated. With a house paid for, he's saving, potentially, $600 a month in rent ($7200) and with his rental income, that brings it to over $16k, and with no car expenses, that only adds to the total. How many Americans, today, would envy that kind of life! Just having your house paid for!

I'm sure there are any number of unemployed union construction workers here in Las Vegas, who were better able to manage their money, who are up in ND already making that $50k a year.

As far as the cold, that's not a deterrent to any number of Mexicans, just look at the Mexican community that rose up in the Mpls.-St. Paul area over the last 10 years.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,272,543 times
Read the article, these jobs are high-paid jobs, and the cost of living is low.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 AM

979 posts, read 3,352,507 times
"I'm sure there are any number of unemployed union construction workers here in Las Vegas, who were better able to manage their money, who are up in ND already making that $50k a year."

I'm guessing these UNION guys are now non-union if working up here in North Dakota. Because North Dakota is a right to work state, you don't see very much support for unions, or sympathy for those wanting to unionize. The oil companies take care of their workers with good wages and benefits WITHOUT the unions. Most construction companies up here are non-union as well. Hopefully these guys used to unions will be handle it on their own?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 AM

10,400 posts, read 10,013,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
ChrisC...I hear you on that one, BUT, $8.25 is not going to get you anywhere if you live somewhere where rent is at the LEAST $1.200 a month. Rent alone would eat up the majority of your paycheck. If you had a spouse who also worked, a person could probably make it.
That's true. I still just have to shake my head and roll my eyes at the ridiculous rent in some places (like western ND). It's a no-win situation (except for the usurers who charge that much). All it does is continue the ever upward spiral of usurers charging way too much for XXX, and those who need XXX demanding higher wages to afford what is a fleecing to begin with... and the usurers jacking the cost again once the wage is higher. And the never-ending cycle continues. It's counterproductive and defies logic.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM

10,400 posts, read 10,013,203 times
Quote:
There are days where you'll be working 20+ hours and only getting a few hours of sleep before going out again.
No thanks. I work two full-time jobs right now (one very physical, the other more mental). Half the time I'm a walking zombie and feel like I need to check myself into a hospital. Of course, I'm not a spring chicken, either. Just yesterday someone asked me a question at one of my jobs and I felt like a such a dumbass--I actually just babbled incoherently back to him. Had no idea what I was saying. It sure wasn't what I wanted to say.

I would never even dream of doing all these hours unless I knew it was a temporary situation. It's not healthy. And after nearly a year, I'm beginning to feel it a lot. I do have weekends off, so I can largely lay around and catch up on sleep (if that's possible). It's the only thing that keeps me sane. By Monday night, I'm looking forward to next Friday's rest again.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 PM

127 posts, read 226,722 times
Get a government job. Decent wages and great benefits. No overtime required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or