U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 PM

127 posts, read 227,377 times

Advertisements

I betcha that those jobs in NW North Dakota are cyclical. I work in the west Texas area and I remember my visits to Odessa, Texas during the boom years. No housing could be found. Out of town oil workers were living in motels and hotels and at the peak, I believe summer of 2008, workers had no choice but to purchase RV and travel trailers to live in.

I am sure that the housing shortage in North Dakota is due to the cyclical nature of the industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:39 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,719,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgste View Post
I betcha that those jobs in NW North Dakota are cyclical. I work in the west Texas area and I remember my visits to Odessa, Texas during the boom years. No housing could be found. Out of town oil workers were living in motels and hotels and at the peak, I believe summer of 2008, workers had no choice but to purchase RV and travel trailers to live in.

I am sure that the housing shortage in North Dakota is due to the cyclical nature of the industry.
Well... of course. It's oil, it's always cyclical.

That being said, as long as the price of oil doesn't drop too much it will remain busy up here. Drilling the Bakken alone is going to take about 10+ years, plus there's 2 other oil formations here now as well.

But it always goes through cycles, it'll slow down but pick back up. It's the norm for the industry. I've been up here almost a year, though, and it's only gotten worse.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No thanks. I work two full-time jobs right now (one very physical, the other more mental). Half the time I'm a walking zombie and feel like I need to check myself into a hospital. Of course, I'm not a spring chicken, either. Just yesterday someone asked me a question at one of my jobs and I felt like a such a dumbass--I actually just babbled incoherently back to him. Had no idea what I was saying. It sure wasn't what I wanted to say.

I would never even dream of doing all these hours unless I knew it was a temporary situation. It's not healthy. And after nearly a year, I'm beginning to feel it a lot. I do have weekends off, so I can largely lay around and catch up on sleep (if that's possible). It's the only thing that keeps me sane. By Monday night, I'm looking forward to next Friday's rest again.
My husband likes his job (he works as a wireline operator). They have down time, but you will be out on a location and have to be ready to go at any moment. I've been out to locations in the summer though and seen the guys laying outside napping lol.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 AM

549 posts, read 1,274,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I've heard about the employment sistuation in ND, but folks also say that most of those jobs are service jobs (save for NW ND) that don't pay squat...maybe that's why they can't fill them?
I have run this into the ground. They don't pay anything here. I recently visited Los Angeles. Everything cost about the same, rent, gas, blah blah blah. Why the heck would anyone want to live here in a small town in a crappy state that has nothing to offer with low wages when I looked at jobs in LA and for the same jobs they pay much more. Cost of living is the same. There's more to do. You can live in a nice suburb outside LA. I don't see any hope for us to get out of here anytime soon I wish we could.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:07 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,856,447 times
8.25 after taxes is pocket change, all companies are doing this and in the end they will sufffer because very very few people are going to accept that. plus, who wants to live in those conditions it is still below zero in MARCH.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I have run this into the ground. They don't pay anything here. I recently visited Los Angeles. Everything cost about the same, rent, gas, blah blah blah. Why the heck would anyone want to live here in a small town in a crappy state that has nothing to offer with low wages when I looked at jobs in LA and for the same jobs they pay much more. Cost of living is the same. There's more to do. You can live in a nice suburb outside LA. I don't see any hope for us to get out of here anytime soon I wish we could.

I just logged onto jobsnd and searched for positions in Minot. As usual, I find you're grossly misrepresenting the situation for the city you live in. Dakota Staffing Solutions is looking for an administrative admin. in Minot and it pays over $17/hr.

The wages are more than livable if you're willing to work for them. Cost of living in Minot is LOWER than LA, and there aren't even a quarter of the jobs in LA as there are in Minot - I would know since I have a ton of family that lives in the greater LA area and several of them have to move because they've been laid off and can't find work.

REDUCED 2X1 w/ Balcony - Call for Addt'l Rent Special!!! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/apa/2246322696.html - broken link)

http://apts.minot.com/vacancy_list.htm (broken link)

See, it's cheaper to live in Minot than it is in LA.

Surprise surprise... you're whining about Minot and making things up because you don't like it. Heck, not even Burger King pays $8.25/hr there.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
8.25 after taxes is pocket change, all companies are doing this and in the end they will sufffer because very very few people are going to accept that. plus, who wants to live in those conditions it is still below zero in MARCH.
If that's what people were actually making, then sure. But even the fast food restaurants are starting at around or over $10/hr here. I don't know of any job (not even WalMart) that starts below $9/hr.

The labor jobs are typically $13/hr and up, $13 being the low end. CalFrac is paying something like $17-$18/hr to start.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 AM

10,482 posts, read 10,049,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
Well... personally there is no wage on this planet that would prompt me to live in (or even visit) LA. I wouldn't even accept a million a year. I escaped the bay area of California in the 70's with my parents. I haven't set foot in the state of California since 1984 (and that was just a stopover at the San Francisco airport on a return flight from Tokyo). Can you tell I like California about as much as you like North Dakota?

I'm not so sure about your statement regarding cost of living. I think it depends on which part of ND. If we are talking western ND, you're probably right. After all, it's quite rare unless you live in a castle somewhere to pay $5000 a month for rent. But, in eastern North Dakota, things are different. You can actually BUY an older home for 10 to 30 K. I bought a large building lot for around $1000. There is no way you are going to find that kind of price in LA, unless it's in the middle of gangland. Even where I live right now in Utah, a dinky little building lot is anywhere from 30 K to 60 K . So... you really have to take into account what part of ND we are discussing. When I first started looking into North Dakota, the western half of the state hadn't been stricken by "money-itis." But, now, I wouldn't even consider the area west of Minot or Bismark. I guess we agree on that point for different reasons. For me, the cost of living and the beginnings of a "gold rush" are enough to keep me away (exactly the same thing that happened where I live now and as a child where we lived in California--I don't want to go through it again).

BTW... welcome back, etjaipleure. (to the forum)

Last edited by ChrisC; 03-04-2011 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well... personally there is no wage on this planet that would prompt me to live in (or even visit) LA. I wouldn't even accept a million a year. I escaped the bay area of California in the 70's with my parents. I haven't set foot in the state of California since 1984 (and that was just a stopover at the San Francisco airport on a return flight from Tokyo). Can you tell I like California about as much as you like North Dakota?

I'm not so sure about your statement regarding cost of living. I think it depends on which part of ND. If we are talking western ND, you're probably right. After all, it's quite rare unless you live in a castle somewhere to pay $5000 a month for rent. But, in eastern North Dakota, things are different. You can actually BUY an older home for 10 to 30 K. I bought a large building lot for around $1000. There is no way you are going to find that kind of price in LA, unless it's in the middle of gangland. Even where I live right now in Utah, a dinky little building lot is anywhere from 30 K to 60 K . So... you really have to take into account what part of ND we are discussing. When I first started looking into North Dakota, the western half of the state hadn't been stricken by "money-itis." But, now, I wouldn't even consider the area west of Minot or Bismark. I guess we agree on that point for different reasons. For me, the cost of living and the beginnings of a "gold rush" are enough to keep me away (exactly the same thing that happened where I live now and as a child where we lived in California--I don't want to go through it again).

BTW... welcome back, etjaipleure.
Even then, it depends on which part of western ND. My husband was actually offered a position in Minot, Minot is cheaper than Williston. But we like Williston more so we stayed.

Minot's cost of living is definitely not comparable to LA.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:28 PM

979 posts, read 3,355,453 times
over 800,000 people have lost their jobs in California over the last couple of years...they have the 3rd highest unemployment of any state...they are right up with Nevada and Florida for mortgage defaults, the state of California is BROKE financially...that is the reason people are flocking to this "crappy" state of North Dakota for jobs. I highly doubt moving to a suburb in Los Angeles and getting a dream job in a dream state is as easy as you suggest...tell that to the 800,000 looking for work in California. (Crappy is something I DO NOT believe though...it is in the eye of the beholder)...hopefully "eta" will get out of here someday. You are very depressing! YIKES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or