U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 PM

11,936 posts, read 14,438,763 times

Advertisements

What do you have to do to get one of the good jobs? Oilfield experience? Just an engineering degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 PM

549 posts, read 1,274,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post

I just logged onto jobsnd and searched for positions in Minot. As usual, I find you're grossly misrepresenting the situation for the city you live in. Dakota Staffing Solutions is looking for an administrative admin. in Minot and it pays over $17/hr.

The wages are more than livable if you're willing to work for them. Cost of living in Minot is LOWER than LA, and there aren't even a quarter of the jobs in LA as there are in Minot - I would know since I have a ton of family that lives in the greater LA area and several of them have to move because they've been laid off and can't find work.

REDUCED 2X1 w/ Balcony - Call for Addt'l Rent Special!!! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/apa/2246322696.html - broken link)

http://apts.minot.com/vacancy_list.htm (broken link)

See, it's cheaper to live in Minot than it is in LA.

Surprise surprise... you're whining about Minot and making things up because you don't like it. Heck, not even Burger King pays $8.25/hr there.
I was just there a couple weeks ago. When was the last time you went? I suppose all information you look up online is correct? As for these jobs you keep posting on here, when I look, surprise surprise...they aren't there. The things that I use the most: gas, groceries, entertainment cost exactly the same in Los Angeles, as it does in Dallas, as it does in San Antonio (Actually, gas is cheaper in Texas. I have family there that told me that, but I supposed you'll look that up and try to them wrong, too?)

You can find places to live in LA and the suburbs that cost just as much as it costs to live here. I know because I was just there and looked. If all these families got laid off in LA and can't find jobs, why don't they move here since it's apparently so awesome and I'm just missing out. Also, Burger King does not pay 8.25 here. Maybe in Williston...but not in Minot. I don't look these things up online..I actually go out and see them.

And so what? This place is miserable and I despise it. Los Angeles was a breath of fresh air (I didn't see any smog fog while I was there). There was tons to do, plenty of jobs when I was looking, tons a nice apartments, I never felt unsafe, it was great. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could move with my husband.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:10 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,719,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I was just there a couple weeks ago. When was the last time you went? I suppose all information you look up online is correct? As for these jobs you keep posting on here, when I look, surprise surprise...they aren't there. The things that I use the most: gas, groceries, entertainment cost exactly the same in Los Angeles, as it does in Dallas, as it does in San Antonio (Actually, gas is cheaper in Texas. I have family there that told me that, but I supposed you'll look that up and try to them wrong, too?)

You can find places to live in LA and the suburbs that cost just as much as it costs to live here. I know because I was just there and looked. If all these families got laid off in LA and can't find jobs, why don't they move here since it's apparently so awesome and I'm just missing out. Also, Burger King does not pay 8.25 here. Maybe in Williston...but not in Minot. I don't look these things up online..I actually go out and see them.

And so what? This place is miserable and I despise it. Los Angeles was a breath of fresh air (I didn't see any smog fog while I was there). There was tons to do, plenty of jobs when I was looking, tons a nice apartments, I never felt unsafe, it was great. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could move with my husband.
I know several people that live in the LA area. I have several of my aunts, uncles, and cousins there right now, and they'll be there tomorrow and probably for the rest of their lives. But your right, your short vacation to LA totally trumps their lifetime of living in the area.

I'll call Burger King, but they're advertising that they pay up to $10/hr.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:24 PM

10,482 posts, read 10,049,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
Los Angeles was a breath of fresh air (I didn't see any smog fog while I was there). There was tons to do,...
Well, you have to understand, this is a very subjective statement. For me, there would be absolutely nothing to do. I'd be bored out of my mind. Point is, everyone is different. Personally, I have to leave this horrid city I live in (which is beginning to feel a lot like LA) to find anything to do that I enjoy. But that's just me. You should preface your comment with "being a big city type of person and enjoying the sort of things the urban areas have to offer... There was tons to do"... because everyone's mileage varies.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM

454 posts, read 814,425 times
After a very quick peek at job service nd, for the Minot area, it's pretty clear that ALOT of places are hiring, and the wages aren't too bad, some aren't so hot, but some are unbelievably high. I would post a link, but I have to be logged on to view the job openings and I think a link will show my name, etc. Saw a report on the news a week or two ago about Williston hiring Brazillian students to fill many of their job openings in town, specifically I remember them interviewing some of the Brazilllians that were working in the grocery store. The Brazillians love it and the employers do as well, and the customers they interviewed seemed to think it was an awesome idea. As the oil feild continues to siphon off every able bodied male and female (who can pass a drug test and isn't afraid to work their butt off) from the Minot and surrounding area, local businesses will have no other choice other than to raise their wages and stay competitive - the alternative is having no staff working for you and closing your doors - and some places might end up doing that - but my guess is it won't be many. A drive through Minot (no matter the time of day) shows every eating establishment jammed to the rafters with people. Oil feild workers have some bucks to spend - and little time to do their own cooking. If I lived in Minot I would invest in an apartment building or a restaurant - both seem to have a very bright future.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 PM

979 posts, read 3,355,453 times
Sorry Eta...you are in the minority when it comes to your love/hate for North Dakota. I guess I am happy in my home state, and according to this survey, the majority of North Dakotan's are as well.

The happiest place in the U.S.? You

Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,234,631 times
So there is no recession in North Dakota? Interesting.

I noticed a couple of job postings in Williston for the field I majored in (aviation administration). I have no desire to move (love my current job and where I live), but it is interesting that someone is actually hiring in a field I've tried to get a job in for three years.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:12 PM

194 posts, read 435,066 times
How are the job opportunities in Fargo for finance majors? I graduate after the next school year, but I'm already desperately networking, hoping I can find a job somewhere.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 PM

5,296 posts, read 8,280,097 times
I applied for an accounting job in Fargo last week but haven't heard back yet. I have all three QuickBooks pro advisor certifications, a B.S. degree in Managerial accounting (3.94 Gpa) and am in the process of testing for the CMA (Certified Management accountant). I have no experience but the QuickBooks certifications alone are pretty rare (less than 3000 have the Point of Sale certification). Oh, I am an "older" career changer so that might have some relevance.

I know I have a lot to offer the right employer. Having a quickBooks expert on staff who can also use the program for cost management is huge.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:02 PM

746 posts, read 1,456,320 times
This sounds a lot like Fort McMurray up here in Canada.
Some companies are actually starting a fly-in, fly-out service for their oilsands employees, so that they can commute on a weekly basis. It's the only thing they can do to keep workers - there's just no housing up there. The government actually opened up a campground for year round RV housing. Guys are making $150K and are living in 5th wheels, then going home when they can.
People can even make $22 an hour pouring coffee at a Tim Hortons, and they still need to be bussed in. I talked to one franchisee, and he said that sometimes it takes 20 mins for a coffee - there's just no workers available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or