U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2011, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,387 times
Default Moving in 2 weeks!!!!

Im moving to West Fargo, ND with my hubby and son at the end of march and I need an idea of what to expect in ND I know the winter is very very COLD!!!! but im curious as to where is the best neighborhood, whats the cost of living, whats the best way to prepare for the winter (or is it still cold in march), is there a super walmart or other well known stores like (target, kmart, family dollar etc), are there any wild animals to be aware of in certain parts of ND, during the winter is it hard to get around or is the city really good at plowing the streets???? I know I have tons of questions but im moving up there in 2 weeks on a job placement and I need to know a few things about ND
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 04:47 PM

3,632 posts, read 5,096,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judshaw View Post
Im moving to West Fargo, ND with my hubby and son at the end of march and I need an idea of what to expect in ND I know the winter is very very COLD!!!! but im curious as to where is the best neighborhood, whats the cost of living, whats the best way to prepare for the winter (or is it still cold in march), is there a super walmart or other well known stores like (target, kmart, family dollar etc), are there any wild animals to be aware of in certain parts of ND, during the winter is it hard to get around or is the city really good at plowing the streets???? I know I have tons of questions but im moving up there in 2 weeks on a job placement and I need to know a few things about ND
Hi

There are a couple of posters here who live in Fargo....I have visited quite a bit and live a bit north of there. But let me reassure you that West Fargo is far more surburban in feel than rural and West Fargo is adjacent to Fargo and makes up along with Moorhead MN the F-M metro area with a metro area pop of nearly 200k. Fargo is the shopping hub of the area and has about every type of store and restaurant there is. Plenty of chain store along 13th Ave S (near the mall and westward off of I-29) and along 45 St SW off of I-94. Restaurants are plenty and Fargo's downtown is re-surging too.

West Fargo is more a bedroom community and is growing quickly and does have issues with crowding schools and whether to build more schools or not. I dont know as much about neighborhoods so will let anyone else talk about that. Generally south of I-94 in West Fargo and Fargo are newer than north. Cost of living is actually cheapest among all the larger ND cities. I dont rent so I dont know a whole lot about rental prices for apartments other than looking at various websites. But home prices are reasonable I think...150-200k will get a nice newer home 2000 sq ft split level.

I dont live there so how good they plow is a bit unknown to me....though as in all cities the main streets are kept pretty clear even after the biggest storm. But dont expect clear streets as the cold winter ensures that a layer of ice/snow remains on many streets for an extended period. But navagation around the area is certainly pretty good but just need to use caution.

I am no animal expert....but dont worry about wild animals.. There are buffalo and other such animals out in the badlands in southwestern ND. The F-M area and the Red River valley is farming territory and a bit different than parts of western ND where grasslands and bit more wildlife are found. We have deer and the usual smaller animals and hunting for them and birds, etc are good during the appropriate season, but that is about it.

Yes winters can be cold. Depending on where you are from it can take a bit to get used too. Tolerance to cold so depends on the person, as well as what one considers cold. Generally speaking getting above the freezing mark from Dec to Feb is something to be celebrated as it doesnt occur often. Most days will see highs 5 to 15 above and lows 5 to 15 below. You will have colder days too with wind which can make it seem quite cold. But overall the stories you may here are often a bit worse than reality.

Dan

Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 PM

383 posts, read 720,172 times
West Fargo is growing fast and the infrastructure isn't necessarily keeping up. After the worst storm this winter (Dec 30-31) certain areas of West Fargo didn't get plowed (beyond the mandatory emergency routes) for about six days. The Eagle Run subdivision in particular had difficulty because there is almost no tree cover and the drifts were over 8 feet high.
West Fargo and Fargo pretty well blend together south of I94--I've encountered some folks who don't even realize that they live in a separate municipality from Fargo.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the information im just trying to get a heads up before we make a big move! I have one more question, im coming from oklahoma when traveling to ND are there mountains or anything major that I should be aware of?

Old 03-05-2011, 07:53 PM

WOW 8 feet!!!! we had a 4 ft snow drift last month and that was overwhelming for everyone! we are not used to that much snow in oklahoma but this will be a experience for our family during the next winter in ND

Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 PM

3,632 posts, read 5,096,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judshaw View Post
Thanks for the information im just trying to get a heads up before we make a big move! I have one more question, im coming from oklahoma when traveling to ND are there mountains or anything major that I should be aware of?
Nope....Fargo and the environs is very flat....flatter than Oklahoma prairies. Lots of ag here as well with Wheat....Corn and Sugar Beets the big crops.

There are gently rolling hills and more pothole lakes west of the red river valley about 30 miles west of Fargo....and western ND has some badlands around Medora.

The biggest change will not be so much the snow and cold.....but the length of the winter. Oklahoma can have a storm and cold but 5 days later it will be melted and be mild again. Up here once you hit about mid November you are in the long haul and will snowcover through late March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo