Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,056 times

Advertisements

Howdy All,
Newbie to the forum here. Just thought I'd jump on and start poking around and see what I can find out about North Dakota, particularly, Fargo.

I am currently living in Las Vegas, NV. I work in the gaming industry. I have been here for ten years and I am bored of it and looking to find a new adventure. Not only that, but my daughter, who lives in Minnesota, is pregnant and I am going to be a grandfather soon! I want to be nearer to the grand baby!

But I don't care to go back to Minnesota. Fargo is very close to the Twin Cities and it wouldn't be difficult to get back and forth on the weekends. Perhaps North Dakota is better than Minnesota? I know their banking policies are! I didn't much like Minnesota, so maybe I won't much like North Dakota either? I don't know. The weather doesn't bother me. I lived in Minnesota for most of my life, so it's not like I don't know what it's like up there. I love the four seasons, especially autumn. The winter can get a little tedious, especially toward the end when the cabin-fever can set in. Even folks who are accustomed to it can find it a little tedious sometimes.

I find that the people up north are much healthier and much more active than the people down here at any time of the year. They are much more friendly up north, too.

And I really miss hunting and fishing.

Does anyone here carry concealed firearms? What are the concealed carry laws up there? Here in Las Vegas, I don't dare walk out the door without my gun under my shirt, e.g., car stolen twice here in ten years; house robbed once; attacked by a crazy-man with a brick-in-a-sock a few years ago; tired of listening to all the baloney from the Mestizo hordes about how they're going to reconquista the Southwest and kick whitey out as they're digging through my garbage looking for aluminum cans and my bank account information; tired of looking at this hot, dirty city and all it's stressed-out inhabitants; neighborhoods are all turning ghetto as everyone is leaving (we were the fastest growing city in America -- now we're the fastest shrinking city in America). Hmmmm... yep, it's beginning to look like I need to find a new place to live.

I'm both a city boy and a country boy. I like both. This is one of the reasons I think the Fargo-Moorhead area would be a good place to live. A nice, clean pair of cities to live and play in, surrounded by woods and water, fishing and hunting. Now, folks, it just don't get any better than that, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM

19 posts, read 57,061 times
As a former Moorhead resident and someone who just spent a week in Fargo-Moorhead visiting family, I've never found a huge difference between North Dakota and Minnesota.

Lakes and woods aren't really in the "immediate" Fargo-Moorhead area; you'll have to do some driving to places like Detroit Lakes, Pelican Rapids, Fergus Falls for the nearest quality spots.

Fargo-Moorhead isn't a hotbed of danger, so whether or not you get a concealed carry permit, you'll be pretty safe.

CCW info: North Dakota CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info (http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/northdakota-ccw-state-laws.php - broken link)

Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 AM

130 posts, read 386,825 times
I'm another person living in Las Vegas and looking to leave. I've been here 2 years and I'm done - just trying to finish my degree and then I'm out of here. I thought about moving to Reno for a few seconds, but changed my mind quickly after visiting. I've been looking closely at either: Fargo (or Grand Forks if I want an advanced degree), Minneapolis, Denver, or Omaha. All sound good to me!! Just wanted you to know you're not alone in wanting to leave Las Vegas.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 AM

268 posts, read 1,614,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
Fargo (or Grand Forks if I want an advanced degree),
There's three universities in Fargo and it's a much more interesting place than Grand Forks. North Dakota State, Minnesota State (in Moorhead), and Concordia. Unless UND has some sort of niche degree that's rare, I'm sure you can get whatever advanced degree you're looking for in that town.

Ironically enough, I had a friend leave Fargo for a high-paying gig in Las Vegas. Of course, she works for the gaming industry.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:47 PM

14 posts, read 45,581 times
IMO, no offense to you Minnesotans, but it seems that North Dakota has a much more stable government than Minnesota. I find that people I know from MN are always anxious about what is happening in their state govt. I've never found that with North Dakotans. So that and it is obviously flatter here... not that you can't drive a little ways to find all the hills and lakes you want.

Sorry, but I giggled a little at your concealed weapon question. I'm not sure what the law actually is here but I'd say you're probably better off getting used to not being too afraid of anything dangerous happening to you. Violent crimes here are very low and most people walking along the street are probably more afraid of crossing the street than being attacked by anyone. I can't say the same for Minneapolis, depending on where you are at.

I say give Fargo a try! Not that I'm biased. It's a good place to live and you won't be afraid to have your grand baby come visit you, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo