U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 08:20 AM

5,270 posts, read 8,219,571 times

Advertisements

I am considering putting in for an accounting job I saw advertised in Fargo, it fit my qualifications to the letter. I would have to relocate from Tennessee but I am OK with that as I have no ties to this area anymore. I can handle the cold (Grew up near Buffalo) and am not too worried about that.

I would have to rent for the first year at least. I have six (probably five shortly) dogs and two cats & they are no more expendable than any other member of a family would be. They are going with me.

How difficult would it be to find a rental with a fenced yard outside of town a little ways so as to avoid neighbor problems from barking while I'm at work? How much would a rental cost- I am not too concerned about it being "nice" but I am going to have to leave the dogs inside in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:36 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Rental single family homes for a situation you describe is likely to be very very difficult to obtain. I live up in Grand Forks-East Grand Forks and know this area well enough from a rental standpoint to know that to get a rental property that would allow that many dogs is extremely rare. I am not as familiar with Fargo-West Fargo or Cass county rental housing, so I hope someone else can chime in.

For starters, I suggest you start contacting some property management companies in the area. Here is a starting point

property management companies fargo - Google Search

In our area....property management companies do both apartments and single family homes. Some may just do apartments, while some do both. I have tried to help people moving to Grand Forks to find rental property and my suggestion is to start calling around. Start at these places and see what is there and if they can direct you.

Most single family home rentals tend to be older and in older parts of the city....this is a home buying area for single family homes and historically there hasnt been a lot of single family homes for rent. In the country....it even be harder just because housing is less.

Other places to look... (newspaper classifieds)....
ApartmentsHQ | Your headquarters for Red River Valley area apartments - Fargo, Moorhead, West Fargo, Dilworth, Casselton, Glyndon

and look at craiglist for Fargo. Some ads are links to national web sites, which are of no help. But more and more rental properties are on craiglist up here.

Based on my experience in my area....Most single family homes rent from $900 to $1500/mo.

Good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I am considering putting in for an accounting job I saw advertised in Fargo, it fit my qualifications to the letter. I would have to relocate from Tennessee but I am OK with that as I have no ties to this area anymore. I can handle the cold (Grew up near Buffalo) and am not too worried about that.

I would have to rent for the first year at least. I have six (probably five shortly) dogs and two cats & they are no more expendable than any other member of a family would be. They are going with me.

How difficult would it be to find a rental with a fenced yard outside of town a little ways so as to avoid neighbor problems from barking while I'm at work? How much would a rental cost- I am not too concerned about it being "nice" but I am going to have to leave the dogs inside in the winter.

Last edited by Kamsack; 05-04-2011 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 PM

394 posts, read 1,047,053 times
You don't need a place to rent, you need to open a kennel.

I can tell you as a rental property owner, you would probably never find a place that would take all those animals.

7 animals, what is stopping you from having 15? Because that is what the landlord is going to think.

Your best bet is to find a cheap house in some small town within 50 miles of Fargo to buy, and then commute.

You might pick up a cheap house out in some of the smaller communities a fair distance from Fargo.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 PM

I agree Corbay.... renting something in the country with that many animals is pretty much a no go. Buying an older house in the country is more doable.....as you just wont find rentals for the type of situation the OP is in.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post
You don't need a place to rent, you need to open a kennel.

I can tell you as a rental property owner, you would probably never find a place that would take all those animals.

7 animals, what is stopping you from having 15? Because that is what the landlord is going to think.

Your best bet is to find a cheap house in some small town within 50 miles of Fargo to buy, and then commute.

You might pick up a cheap house out in some of the smaller communities a fair distance from Fargo.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:26 PM

To give you some idea of pricing of homes with acerage.....an older home with acreage in the country ....this is listed for about 165k....

http://cdn0.photos.flexmls.com/fgo/20110502190432850524000000-t.jpg (broken link)

I could not paste and post the text as a link so here is the info via the Fargo MLS....

14679 46th St SE Alice, ND 58031

Nice hillside setting. This 14 acres includes 4 out buildings & a 28x52 barn. Metal Quonset is 28x48. 2 stall heated garage is 22x28 with upstairs storage. 16x8 dog house is heated. Plus an old airplane hanger. House has newer furnace, shingles, siding, paint & windows

Because much of the land around the area is used for farming you will not find lots of houses outside of towns/cities with acerage available. You can find several in the small towns themselves, such as Buffalo, Davenport, Amenia, Hunter, Page, Tower City or in a bit larger town such as Casselton, Kindred and Enderlin.

But you can check out the Fargo area MLS below....and play around with it.

Dan Deutsch - DR

Hope the info helps some...

Dan

Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM

5,270 posts, read 8,219,571 times
Thanks for the responses. I am just wary of buying a home until it is looking as if the job is long term. There are so many variables involved.

I guess I will consider it all when and if a job is offered. I probably won't even have to worry about it.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 AM

758 posts, read 1,942,681 times
Wartrace, did you move?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:19 PM

758 posts, read 1,942,681 times
Did you try Craigslist? I've never had a problem moving with a few animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or