U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 AM

110 posts, read 160,139 times

Advertisements

Thanks Dan for your weather info. I love varied weather and I think I will enjoy Fargo. Yes I did hear about the flooding problems in ND, and actually the position my husband is currently applying for in Fargo was available a month ago, but due to the problems with the flooding he got concerned and didn't apply for it. So he found out a few days ago that it is still available, so he went ahead and applied afterall. We should know something within a couple of weeks as to whether or not we get to move to ND.
This is probably a silly question, but is there a bug problem out there? Here in Portland because of all the rain... we have huge problems with bugs of all types. I ended up with carpet beetles in my home and those bugs are probably the hardest bugs to get rid of. I wouldn't spray anyway in my home due to my children being so young but even if I did, the current pesticides don't work on carpet beetles. Plus due to all the greenery and trees we get all types of bugs imaginable. Spring time here in Hillsboro brings a huge amount of wasps and bees... we have to kill over a dozen nests around our house several times during spring summer and fall. Anyway with that said, is there a problem with bugs or particular types of bugs that are common nuisance in ND? I would imagine winter time would kill them all off!!! LOL
Hey Riverbird, thank you so much for that link. I have a really nice heavy brown brushed suede coat that I got last year that worked good here. I mean in Hillsboro, OR it does get cold... don't get me wrong. And this past November we had temps go down to the teens as a high for a week or so and that was a record low high. I know that doesn't compare to temps in ND, but none the less it is still cold. But I will think about down coats as I think the majority of coats used there are of that type probably.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 08:53 AM

433 posts, read 961,870 times
You're welcome. When I bought the parka I couldn't imagine needing to wear such a warm coat, but I used it every day when the temp was below freezing. When I went to a performance of the Nutcracker last December, I wore it into the theatre and noticed a lot of other faux fur-trimmed parkas!

I had no problem at all with bugs except for house flies that came in when the doors were open in the summer.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Yeah! How can anything survive outside in those winter temps!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Mosquitos are nasty.....but the cities spray regularly... but anywhere outside of the cities or out camping at the parks they are a nuisance. Otherwise the bug population outside of flies, is lower than other parts of the country due to the winter. Roaches and the like are not a problem....they are there but not a huge problem in homes. There are no termites up here either so that is nice.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Well that all seems manageable to me. Here in Portland we get all those bugs plus a whole lot more.... everything from big beetles to spiders to flies to wasps and bees etc. And our house was built in 2005 and we still seem to get our share of visitors wanting to share our house. Is there a problem with ticks? A friend of mine went camping here in Oregon somewhere and got lime disease.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:18 AM

333 posts, read 669,960 times
American Lyme Disease Foundation

ND looks pretty good to me. There may be ticks, but no Lyme yet. Though I suppose there's a first time for everything...

Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
American Lyme Disease Foundation

ND looks pretty good to me. There may be ticks, but no Lyme yet. Though I suppose there's a first time for everything...
Thanks for this link! Not sure if there is any camping going on in ND anyhow. Out in Oregon camping is HUGE!!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 PM

333 posts, read 669,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Happy-Day View Post
Thanks for this link! Not sure if there is any camping going on in ND anyhow. Out in Oregon camping is HUGE!!!!
Actually, there is lots of camping: North Dakota Parks and Recreation

Most of the state parks in ND are west of Fargo out near the lake.

Alternatively, you can drive into MN. Fargo is actually closer to some areas of the North Woods than the Twin Cities. It is about 100 miles to Itasca State Park. Of course, these parks are temporarily closed for the MN state government shutdown. But I'm sure that will be over by the time you arrive

Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Happy-Day View Post
Oh yeah lots of camping....we were at Icelandic State Park near Cavalier ND last weekend and Turtle River State Park just west of Grand Forks the weekend before. Fort Ransom state park is nearby Fargo...an hour or so away and is quite nice.

There are lots of choices to the east in Minnesota with all the lakes, etc

Dan

Old 07-01-2011, 01:39 PM

One thing to keep in mind when looking for rentals...

I saw many suggestions to look at Moorhead and that is fine. But think about income tax consequences. The couple from Oregon I am chatting with mentioned in Oregon you are taxed at the rate of the state where you work.

Here it is the opposite. I live in MN and work in ND....and our income is taxed on where you live. We have a house in MN and real estate taxes are cheaper and the city provided some incentives to build here (East Grand Forks) so for us it was a wash. But if you are renting and not getting having to worry about real estate property taxes, then you could end up on a short end of the stick if you rent in MN and work in ND. I think ND income tax is about 3.5 pct and Minnesota around 7 or 7.5 pct depends on income.

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or