U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 02:41 AM

17 posts, read 91,394 times

Advertisements

I have read through most of the the threads here and have not seen anything about living in the downtown area. A company has offered me a position in Fargo and I am considering the move. I know about the cold, flooding and such. I am more concerned about the social aspects of the city. My ideal place to live for my first year would be in a downtown apartment/condo(renting) to get a feel for the area. Living in a place where you can walk to a restaurant/pub/movie/gym and still be away from the college scene. Is there such a place? About myself: male, 40, single and looking to meet people and especially a young lady. I am coming from Chicago and I know not to expect a downtown like that but is there such an area where single people can meet and have a social life? Outdoor festivals(weather permitting), farmers market, athletic leagues, pub crawls, sporting events are some of the activities I am looking for in the area. Not knowing the town's layout I feel a place where I can be centrally located would be ideal, I just do not know enough if downtown Fargo has this or maybe West/South Fargo would be better?

I do not want to be in a suburban area where you have to drive to an Applebee's or Outback Steak House, looking for more of an urban feel where people go out and socialize. My current location is suburban and its great if you are married with kids, its just to tough to meet single ladies.

I have looked at the Fargo Downtowner site but the info is very limited. If someone can post names of areas or streets that would fit the bill I would appreciate it very much. Also where is the closest ice rink?

Thank You,
RatHockey

Last edited by RatHockey; 07-09-2011 at 03:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:31 PM

418 posts, read 1,185,440 times
Broadway.
Plain and simple--most of the downtown activity is on Broadway. The Hotel Donaldson (The HoDo) is a great anchor point. There are a number of coffee shops, bars, independent restaurants, the Fargo Theater, a fabulous major bike shop. And my favorite--the New Fargo Public Library.
On the south edge of downtown (4th Street at about 2nd ave s) there is both the Y for a downtown gym and the **** East Farmer's market (Small, but at least consistent).
The Fargo Downtown Community Partnership is another site to look at for info about downtown.
Kilbourne Development has some of the higher end condos in
downtown.
Does this give you a starting point to look further?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:38 AM

8 posts, read 14,146 times
Several sites like this for downtown (click on link below)...but a good place to start. Good luck with everything.

[Mod Cut]

Also, hockey is big in the area. From downtown Fargo, rinks are located a few blocks (15ish) north and several blocks (40ish) southeast, along with a new hockey arena in way southeast fargo named the Scheel's Arena. Fargo is obviously right across the river from Moorhead, Minnesota...where high school hockey dominates. Following is another link for review:

http://www.fargohockey.org/page/show/100767-area-rinks

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-11-2011 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Please read the TOS on new users making recommendations, specially real estate groups.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:12 PM

17 posts, read 91,394 times
dutchinnd & Dan9190,

Thanks for the info!!

I think these places would fit what I am looking for: Bristol Place, Cityscape, 8 Seventh st flats and block 6 apartments.

If you or anyone else can give me any feedback on these locations (good/bad/whatever) I would appreciate any.

From the info provided and my search on the net it looks like my area would be downtown/hawthorne/island park is this correct?

I have until Mid-August to make my decision to move to Fargo and right now I can not see anything that would prevent me from going. It seems like there is almost everything you could need in town, plus low crime/good schools/affordable housing. Besides the winter weather is there something you would tell someone moving to Fargo to watch out for or stay away from?

Again thanks for the help.
RatHockey

Old 07-12-2011, 11:26 PM

125 posts, read 204,041 times
This thread could have good information for me too. When I think of living in Fargo, I tend to think of the center of the Fargo universe being the Amtrak station at 4th and 4th. If I ever lived in Fargo I would hope to be getting on and off the Empire Builder train regularly. That's the dream anyway.

I have to visit to see about how pedestrian friendly the city is. I don't drive and have a feeling Fargo might not be the ideal place to live without a car? I have lived in South Minneapolis for many years without a car no problem, and where I live now in Bellingham Washington, is ideal for the pedestrian, it is so convenient, you don't need a car at all.

The big appeal of Fargo is the lack of street crime, also I just plain miss the upper midwest people. I must visit soon! I think about it a lot. I kind of miss winter too, but less than I thought I would. I do miss the sky and the wide open spaces, very much.

I think of the neighborhoods to the north of downtown, kind of between downtown and the university, as being where I would want to end up. People say there are no grocery stores, is that true?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
Broadway.
Plain and simple--most of the downtown activity is on Broadway. The Hotel Donaldson (The HoDo) is a great anchor point. There are a number of coffee shops, bars, independent restaurants, the Fargo Theater, a fabulous major bike shop. And my favorite--the New Fargo Public Library.
On the south edge of downtown (4th Street at about 2nd ave s) there is both the Y for a downtown gym and the **** East Farmer's market (Small, but at least consistent).
The Fargo Downtown Community Partnership is another site to look at for info about downtown.
Kilbourne Development has some of the higher end condos in
downtown.
Does this give you a starting point to look further?
Hey thanks for those helpful links, I will bookmark that downtown community partnership link for sure, lots going on, thanks for posting that.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 AM

418 posts, read 1,185,440 times
If you are working downtown, it's definitely viable to walk to/from work from the downtown/Island Park/Historic Hawthorne neighborhoods. I live in Historic Hawthorne & work downtown; I don't get to walk/bike to work as much as I'd like because of needing to deliver kids places & drive to meetings. In winter, you do need to take the winter gear seriously, but there are definitely people who walk to work year round.

The big issue would be the grocery store. The nearest ones are at 7th Ave North & University or over in Moorhead at 11th & Main, or an express store on S. University at 15th Ave. There's a lot of agitation for a downtown grocery, but no one in the private sector willing to try it yet.

So, you might need a vehicle for major purchases or shopping trips, but still be able to park it 6 days a week.

You may also want to take a look at the website that Fargo has launched for its comprehensive planning effort: www.go2030.net. If you follow the link to the "Town Hall" discussion, you will be able to see what what issues people are talking about and what residents here would like to see happen in the future.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM

8 posts, read 14,146 times
Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-11-2011 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Please read the TOS on new users making recommendations, specially real estate groups.

Sorry ElkHunter...just trying to provide an example of downtown housing.

The North Dakota winters are brutal...but not 24/7. For example, I bundle up and walk outside every day. I actually find the winter evenings to be absolutely beautiful. I have lived here my entire life, although I have traveled the world extensively and rejected employment opportunities which followed. This is home. I love the four seasons. However, as I age...I find the winters to seem to last longer, and moving snow in April (and May this year)...not so enjoyable.

Remember the Empire Builder/Amtrak schedule...arrives and departs in the middle of the night (east and west). The bus system is not too bad, taxi system needs improvement. North Dakota State University, University of Minnesota Moorhead and Cocordia College really add vibrancy to the area. And fun to see all the young people downtown on weekends. Very good athletics at NDSU, and competition is good. Always something to do if one takes the time to search a little. Good luck with your decision making process.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM

That Town Hall discussion site that dutch pointed to at Fargo by MindMixer is very interesting and gives a good window on what people are talking about for the direction they'd like to see Fargo move over the next few years. I like the things they are talking about, a lot of good ideas there. I was glad someone mentioned canoeing on the Red River to Winnipeg. I have always been curious about boating to Winnipeg from Fargo. Or skiing there, for the die hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or