U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 09:51 AM

33 posts, read 107,263 times

Advertisements

Dear Forum:
Greetings from NYC! Hopefully we’ll be moving to Fargo ND somewhere in the December of this year. I have few questions:
*How long does it take to get road test appointment in Fargo ND? Here in NYC it’s almost 25-30 days. I was wondering if I couldn’t pass the road test here in NYC what will be the situation in Fargo.
*Would it be possible to spend a month or so without a car?
*We are planning to rent an apartment in the south side of the Fargo city. We’ll sign up for the apartment where heat is included. Is there any apartment complex which is very good in heating?… I mean I don’t want to spend extra money on heater and end up paying huge electric bills.
*Which brands of clothing is best for the Fargo winter?
Thanksss a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 AM

231 posts, read 772,104 times
I'll try to help as best I can. My son and wife both took their road tests in Mayville, it's about an hour away. It was very easy for them, it's a town of about 2,000 people and maybe two stop lights. Both passed the first time and it was a shorter wait. I think Fargo is still about 6 - 8 weeks at least. We were able to get in there in about 4.

There is a pretty good bus system in Fargo that runs until about 9:30pm or so, I think. If you get to know that, you should be able to survive with ease. Ask where the nearest bus stop is when looking at apartments. It's probably right on the corner.

I think apartment heating is pretty cheap. I'm guessing about $40-70 on average during the worst 4-5 months. South Fargo is mostly newer apartments, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as winter clothing. I would stock up on polyester leisure suits with wide lapels. Maybe some fishnet t-shirts, a few trucker caps, and a big honking belt buckle with some wide bell-bottom wranglers. Just kidding, I would actually buy a coat with warm lining for the trip and then buy your winter clothes when you get here. There are more clothing stores than you can shake a stick at. You should be able to get by with whatever you have worn in NYC. Just put a winter survival kit in your car when you need to do any extended driving.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Thanks for ur response. So it means that even if the heat is included in the rent, there will be days when I would certainly need to turn the heater on?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:58 PM

231 posts, read 772,104 times
Yes, you will still need to turn on the heat. A lot.

The property manager will increase the price of your rent to cover the costs. They aren't going to do it for free.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:55 PM

88 posts, read 201,959 times
What should be included in the 'winter survival kit'? Also, and know this is going to sound ridiculous, but what road test are you speaking of?

Old 10-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Yes I actually am taking road test with class D learners permit so I guess its non commercial and just for driving a car. I don't need commercial license.
I was under the impression that if heat is included in the rent(Fargo ND) then landlord will be providing good heat. here in NYC we pay 1350 for one bedroom and heat is very good for the most part of the winter. the days with very low temperature (in teens Fahrenheit) are few in NYC and even then it is rarely required to turn our own heating on.
Now it seems that in Fargo ND because it gets very cold in winter, even in those buildings where heat is included in the rent, one has no escape from using their own heating because the heat provided by landlord will not be sufficient. that's the impression Im getting? M I right???
clothing will not be a problem I guess. I came to know bout parka jackets etc thru google.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 PM

741 posts, read 1,483,828 times
Depends on the building, but generally larger buildings provide heat to the general areas, but the tenant's own electric will be needed for the apartment area. If an apartment is in the center of a building (not in basement or with a lot of exposure to outside walls or outside roof, with apartments above and below), generally the heating requirement will be much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or