Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:29 PM

33 posts, read 117,382 times

Advertisements

Daer Friends at Forum:
recently there has been a lot of buzz about the williston and people sharing their experiences... I was curious what are the experiences of people and their families who have recently moved to Fargo ND?
we are originally from South Asia, currently living in NYC and planning to move to Fargo ND hopefully in the December of this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 06:27 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,580 times
Well, I arrived in Fargo about a week ago.

Positives
- People are SUPER nice, and will always try to make you feel welcome.
- Plenty of jobs, housing looks to be decent priced.
- More shopping than I expected, considering the size of the city.
- Roads are wide and everything is kept clean.

Negatives
- Not multi-cultural at all, not much to do for minorites......let elaborate on that point because I will probably get ALOT of flack; Alot of clothing stores that Black and Latina women frequent do not have a presence here in Fargo. There are no laid back jazz/ R & B lounges or night clubs, there are no Latin nightclubs (salsa, meringue) there are no Hip Hop, R & B, Jazz, or Latin radio stations. If you dont like country or rock, its best to bring your own music.
- Very Windy
- Lack of diverse restaurants, the Japanese Hibachi grill here is about as wild as it gets, in fact there is a lot of chain restaurants but not much in the way of good mom and pop eats, which is disapointing considering I was in Cincinnati prior to this assignment and there was plenty of AWESOME places to eat.
- As a minority YOU will stick out, everywhere you go.

Last edited by duttygal86; 10-08-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 08:02 PM

231 posts, read 872,841 times
What part of South Asia are you from? My wife moved here from the Philippines three years ago and has made tons of Filipino and Asian friends. There are four Asian grocery stores here. That is a lot for a community of this size.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 PM

thanks...I am originally from Pakistan. have lot of Philippine friends from the school where I teach. Ano ang pangalan mo? lol

Old 10-08-2011, 08:53 PM

I'll highly appreciate more experiences from people who have recently relocated to Fargo ND.
smilesssss

Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM

254 posts, read 513,127 times
Hi. I recently moved FROM Fargo, but I was there a while and can agree with the previous poster that people are nice, it is safe, housing is affordable, and it is not very diverse. Do you have specific questions? I'd be happy to try to answer them. I moved because of the cold, long winters but you just dress warm, have good tires on the car, and that solves a lot of winter-related problems.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:37 PM

73 posts, read 202,925 times
Mountain K....What did you do in Fargo when you were there? You left because of the cold weather? How long were you even there for?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Hi. I was there for about 18 years. I worked in higher ed and really enjoyed the people I worked with a lot. I left because I got tired of 6 months of cold. Certainly some winters are better/worse than others. The mild ones are quite bearable, but the tough ones can be a challenge. I liked being near MN lakes and I really like the size and safety of Fargo. And my parents were nearby, so that's another reason that I stayed in the area. For a city of its size, it has a lot going for it. The schools are good, the economy is better than in most places in the U.S., there is a reasonable variety of food/shopping but not a lot of unique, one of a kind places, although that is certainly changing. The cost of living is affordable, but for many people, salaries are also low. Let me know if you have other questions and I'll try to answer them.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM

Thanks MountainK:
How bout the heating in apartments(The ones in which heat is included in the rent). I spoke with a couple of apartment managers and they say if heating is included in the rent, it will be sufficient and you won't need to use ur own heating. Other people on this forum say that even if heating is included in the rent, one can't escape using electric heating of their own because the heating provided by the landlord will not be sufficient. What is your experience?
Thanksss

Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 AM

Hi Wanderer37. Sorry I may not be as helpful with apartment heat, as I lived in a house for the past several years, but one bit of advice is that some of the Goldmark apartments do not have a great reputation. Apparently they always/often find ways to keep your deposit when you move out, so be aware of that. Document any damage when you move in so you don't get blamed for it if/when you move out. Maybe you could knock on a few doors of neighbors in apartment buildings to ask about the heat? I would not think you would need to supplement with another heat source though, unless you live in a very very old apartment. If your budget allows, I would recommend a garage though, as that is likely to make your life more comfortable in the winter. The challenge will be to find an apartment that clears the snow quickly (I think most are okay in this regard) but you will appreciate not having to scrape/brush snow/ice off of your car if you are able to keep it in a garage. Also, you may want to be wary of living in a garden/lower level apartment in some areas, as flooding in Fargo is a frequent event and you do not want to have the risk of water in your apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo