U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,019,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
If you're of Central European descent, you may find Sioux Falls slightly more hospitable than Fargo. In Fargo, if you're not Norwegian or German, you're "diverse."
Yes, I've been ridiculed for not knowing that "-on" endings on surnames (Olson, Larson) are Norwegian but that "-en" endings are Swedish or Danish. And earlier this school year, when my son's class was asked to raise their hands if they were part Norwegian, my son was one of 3 kids who didn't raise their hands--he's of Dutch ancestry, the second was a child of Vietnamese refugees, and the third was an Kurdish refugee.
Well, you can ridicule them right back. I heard that old trope when I was a kid, and it's wrong. Norwegians typically use "sen" today (and many even did in the 19th century, when it was between "sen" and "søn"), Danes almost all use "sen", and Swedes are almost exclusively "son".
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 PM

17 posts, read 29,247 times
Do you guys know how Fargo schools compare to SF schools? I assume they are both good.
I don't think my kid will be teased in school for having Polish background, that's silly anyway I still have to meet nicer people than folks I met on my interview day in SF. This might be the number one reason behind our move from Virginia.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 PM

3,716 posts, read 5,471,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwater View Post
Do you guys know how Fargo schools compare to SF schools? I assume they are both good.
I don't think my kid will be teased in school for having Polish background, that's silly anyway I still have to meet nicer people than folks I met on my interview day in SF. This might be the number one reason behind our move from Virginia.
I know in general Fargo schools are quite good. There is a new high school that opened up on the far south side Davies HS. That said, if you do come...realize that quite a bit of southwest Fargo west of I-29 and south of I-94 is in West Fargo school district. You can view boundaries online I am sure. West Fargo schools are good too, but with all the growth in the West Fargo school district, there have been many issues regarding the need for bonds to pay for new schools, etc.

North side tends to have the older schools and lower school populations, which the south side has the growth and the higher school populations. West Fargo has more land for building and its growth is the highest in the state in recent years, many with families, so its schools are busting at the seams in terms of kids...esp the south side West Fargo area south of I-94 where most of the growth is.

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo