U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 PM

32 posts, read 48,361 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My wife and I will be in Fargo the week of 3/5 - 3/11 for a couple of job interviews. Just wanting to know if anyone had suggestions on places to eat, go, and areas that we need to look at for homes/apartments. Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:28 AM

418 posts, read 1,185,187 times
Eating options--head downtown. Toscana for Italian, for interesting locallly-sourced foods go to the Hotel Donaldson (usually referred to as the HoDo). Pizza for lunch--try Spicy Pie. For more options, take a look at www.fmdowntown.com

Where is the prospective employer located? Toward the center of the City, or out southwest by the interstates, or north by North Dakota State University and the airport? Although compared to many metro areas commutes in Fargo-Moorhead are quite short, it still might make sense to look in the areas closer to the workplace.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 AM

I'm not 100% sure where the hospitals are located. She has one at Sanford Medical and Essentia Health hospitals. Does anyone had any deals with either or these hospitals.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Sanford has multiple centers--the major one is just on the north side of downtown, but there is also another large facility on 32nd Ave S. Essentia's major hospital is also on 32nd Ave S., just a third of mile west of Sanford's. Essentia also has a smaller clinic on S. University about 1.5 miles south of downtown.
If the position is at Sanford Downtown, then there are some lovely north side neighborhoods with full-size trees. One is known as Holes' Addition (built in the 1920s & 1930s) and the other is the Longfellow elementary neighborhood (developed 1970-1990 approximately).
For Essentia and the 32nd Ave S. area, there are a huge number of newer neighborhoods with apartments, duplexes, and newer single-family homes. It tends to be a bit more cookie-cutter with all the structures looking alike and appears more barren because the trees haven't really had an impact on the prairie landscape yet.
Areas you might NOT want to consider when first moving here--anything along the Red River or on the extreme South/semi-rural areas of town or neighboring villages such as Oxbow, Hickson, or Briarwood. It appears that this year we won't have major flooding along the Red or its tributary the Wild Rice, but we have had water levels 16 to 20 feet over flood stage for the last three years. There are plans in the works to build a diversion channel and that project, if funded, would definitely impact property values over the long-term.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM

Thanks dutchinnd. My wife and I are both in our mid-30's. We also have opportunies in Bismarck & Grand Forks. How does Fargo compare with these 2 other cities as far as economy, crime, and over-all quality of life? I work in the chemical field, are there any plants or employers in the area that you know of. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM

FWIW, in my opinion quality of life is fairly comparable among the three cities. Bismarck may be slightly warmer than Fargo in the winters, and Grand Forks is slightly colder. The landscape is more varied around Bismarck, so if hiking or mountain biking is your thing, Bismarck has more to offer.
Politically and culturally, Bismarck is perceived as being more conservative than the other two cities. Both Grand Forks and Fargo have major universities which tend to make those towns a little bit more progressive and less insular.
Historically, property crimes are a bigger issue than violent crimes. I've been in Fargo for just over 20 years; it seems that residents never have quite adjusted to the fact that Fargo in a metro area now, not an isolated small town. In very cold weather, people will still leave their cars running & unlocked during a quick dash into a convenience store and then are amazed that their cars are stolen. It is so frustrating to the Fargo PD.
Chemical field?? That may be slightly harder.There are probably more people in FM employed teaching chemistry than doing chemistry. Many of the industries here are either service related (banking, medical, legal), transportation (shipping of ag products & manufacuring the equipment to transport commodities), technology (Microsoft has a major installation here) or agriculture related. North Dakota State University offers a degree in polymers & coatings, but almost all those graduates move out of state because there aren't any local employers in that field.
There are starting to be some biochem companies--the three universities/colleges are working on a vaccinology major and the local Economic Development Corporation is hoping to establish Fargo as a center for vaccine research.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
I live in the Grand Forks area and I concur with this post. Good description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo