U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 AM

454 posts, read 812,519 times

Advertisements

Fargo Man Found Dead Near Tracks was Passenger on Train | WDAZ | Grand Forks, ND

Wonder what in the world happened here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 PM

890 posts, read 1,541,792 times
That is scary, to not know what happened. Me and my kids are going on same route next month to Seattle. Now I am gonna find out if they have security we are staying in sleeper section.
And how do you fall out of a train for Amtrack? I have been on many Amtrack and never see openings unless it was at station. Is not like a cruise ship where your on deck and can fall in water.

Last edited by laina1980; 03-22-2012 at 03:24 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM

15,824 posts, read 18,446,953 times
OMG, He was bound for Chicago, that means He had just left Fargo station. Amtrak is in a creepy area, as they almost always are, and it would be very early. Scarey.....Seems like it has to be foul play. Too bad they don't have film?? Laina, by very careful Trains imo aren't as safe as they once were.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:11 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,172,112 times
Personally, after seeing the AmTrack derail about 12 miles north of my house this fall, I don't have any desire to ride a train! lol

Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Personally, after seeing the AmTrack derail about 12 miles north of my house this fall, I don't have any desire to ride a train! lol
They have had a number of accidents the last few years.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:33 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,172,112 times
Yeah, but for my part it probably wouldn't have fazed me to see it in a newspaper or on a TV broadcast. But in real life, there's something very unnerving about seeing a train lying on its side...

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306100_2003254161050_1234490460_32033746_6915123_n .jpg (broken link)
(my husband snapped this with his phone when he was working the wreck)

Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM

890 posts, read 1,541,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OMG, He was bound for Chicago, that means He had just left Fargo station. Amtrak is in a creepy area, as they almost always are, and it would be very early. Scarey.....Seems like it has to be foul play. Too bad they don't have film?? Laina, by very careful Trains imo aren't as safe as they once were.
You know in San Diego they have really nice rail ways both Amtrack and local liners that are so clean and beautiful ocean vuews. But security is awful. I have been on a really nice one, more expensive of the commuters for reason it stops less lol, but there have been times I felt uncomfortable as anyone can hop on and many times anyone does and when they come by and ask for tickets, the scary ones don't have one. And the workers have like only one other person to help them on a long train!!!

The only reason we are going on train is to go through ND and MT it is actually more expensive than flying, but considering this and all the transients coming around those areas I may cancel and fly instead.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,988,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
I have been on many Amtrack and never see openings unless it was at station.
I think its down by the luggage area, i remember me and some lady were walking around searching for the bathrooms and ended up in the luggage area and there was doors that went outside, i said "gee i hope they keep those locked" she says "lets find out" presses the button and the door opened up, i was really shocked that they don't keep them locked.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM

Scarey. Laina, I would fly, why waste your time riding, you could have an extra 3-4 days. Especially if it's cheaper. Not for sure you will be going thru ND and MT in daylight, you may not see what you want to see.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM

454 posts, read 812,519 times
UPDATE: Nilles was passenger on Amtrak train - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

In a quote from the above article:

"Valley News Live spoke with an Amtrak spokesman who says emergency side doors are the only way passengers can exit a train. Like a commercial plane or public bus, these doors are federally regulated through safety standards. In the Amtrak's Empire Builder, side doors have two safety handles which require a person to open them from inside -- a task that requires a bit of effort."

Even though I have ridden AMTRAK many, many times, I honestly had NO IDEA that a passenger could have access to open the train doors while it was in motion. Guess I learned something today.

There are alot of elderly that use AMTRAK to go to MN and Rochester clinic, so no need to fear them................but, there are alot of other interesting characters on the train as well. I ride it, but I don't ever sleep while I'm on the train . I used to allow my then teenage daughter to travel alone of the train to Fargo to visit relatives - I don't think I would do that anymore.

The victim sure didn't make it very far out of Fargo. Buffalo River State Park is only about 14 miles to the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo