U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 08:30 PM

7 posts, read 8,735 times

Advertisements

Hello to all.I am considering moving to Fargo.I need to know in detail what the jobs available are.I have traveled all over the country by myself.My traveling companions are two cats.I am very intelligent,well read,responsible ,and clean.I have been all over this great country of ours and have yet found a place that I can call home.My definition of home is a place where you are happy.I all of my travels everyone from North Dakota that I have met has been quite charming.They tell me North Dakota is a great place to live and there are a lot of opportunities there.I am not looking for romance,charity,pity,or a handout.I just need some inside info on what the situation really is up there.Any info that anyone can send my way would be very helpful.Thanks and God Bless!....Bonnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 12:54 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,087,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieTheWanderer View Post
Hello to all.I am considering moving to Fargo.I need to know in detail what the jobs available are.I have traveled all over the country by myself.My traveling companions are two cats.I am very intelligent,well read,responsible ,and clean.I have been all over this great country of ours and have yet found a place that I can call home.My definition of home is a place where you are happy.I all of my travels everyone from North Dakota that I have met has been quite charming.They tell me North Dakota is a great place to live and there are a lot of opportunities there.I am not looking for romance,charity,pity,or a handout.I just need some inside info on what the situation really is up there.Any info that anyone can send my way would be very helpful.Thanks and God Bless!....Bonnie
We were just in Fargo Friday evening to visit the mall and shop at stores we dont have in Grand Forks. Fargo and especially West Fargo continue to grow pretty fast. Yes there are jobs here.....many general service type jobs at restaurants and stores.... lots of other opportunities. Just depends on what you are looking for. But of all the cities in North Dakota Fargo area is the largest and has the most plentiful housing and usually cheapest gas and rents.

If you do like lakes and hills, lakes country of Minnesota is about 1 hour east toward Detroit Lakes Minnesota.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
We were just in Fargo Friday evening to visit the mall and shop at stores we dont have in Grand Forks. Fargo and especially West Fargo continue to grow pretty fast. Yes there are jobs here.....many general service type jobs at restaurants and stores.... lots of other opportunities. Just depends on what you are looking for. But of all the cities in North Dakota Fargo area is the largest and has the most plentiful housing and usually cheapest gas and rents.

If you do like lakes and hills, lakes country of Minnesota is about 1 hour east toward Detroit Lakes Minnesota.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my post.You have been very helpful.I am looking for a fresh start.North Dakota seems to be a land of opportunity.

Bonnie

Old 05-13-2012, 04:20 PM

15,832 posts, read 18,454,406 times
Bonnie...I can't give you a list of jobs available, but I can share w/ you some experiences involving what folks have told me about North Dakota people. I worked in disaster recovery following a flood we had here in Grand Forks, N.D. in 97. Part of what I did was work at what we called the FEMA center, working w/ displaced residents, flood disaster recovery needs, mental health etc. I was privy to the folks here from other states that were part of the FEMA employees. I would occasionally hang outside a bit, and had on more than a few occasions talked w/ a few of the workers, many of whom shared how wonderful and honest they thought N.D. folks were. These were folks that had traveled all over the US at varying locations re: disaster response efforts. On one particular occasion a young lady who had just worked w/ and elderly couple broke down in tears....she told me, Jan...When I am done w/ my job here I am going home packing my things and moving to Fargo N.D. and going to college here. She said this particular elderly couple, who had been displaced from their home had come to the center that day to return the rental assistance that they had recieved...a standard part of the initial disaster recovery is to assist folks by small checks...300.00 at that time. The folks persisted that they had been able to stay w/ their daughter, so did not need the rental assistance funds, and had gone to the trouble of coming down to the center to return that check. She said while she had been able to maintain her professional demeanor w/ them.....she could not hold it back outside visiting w/ me. She said, She had worked everywhere...all over the U.S. and had never met people that were more honest and deserving than N.D. people.
I have to agree. I was raised in Calif. I married a North Dakotan and moved here in 81. I love my home state, but the folks here are so down to earth, what we might call salt of the earth type folks. I have to say we do have crime, Fargo is a very large city....there are some big city issues. Our winter weather often sucks! But, you may find that the other good things far out weigh the weather. North Dakota is full of wonderful folks...you certainly might enjoy living here. There are civic groups, lots of interesting diverse shops and restaurants. A bit more culture in Fargo than in Grand Forks imo....But Grand Forks is more small town. If you do move here, I hope you find your niche. Safe passage....

Old 05-13-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Bonnie...I can't give you a list of jobs available, but I can share w/ you some experiences involving what folks have told me about North Dakota people. I worked in disaster recovery following a flood we had here in Grand Forks, N.D. in 97. Part of what I did was work at what we called the FEMA center, working w/ displaced residents, flood disaster recovery needs, mental health etc. I was privy to the folks here from other states that were part of the FEMA employees. I would occasionally hang outside a bit, and had on more than a few occasions talked w/ a few of the workers, many of whom shared how wonderful and honest they thought N.D. folks were. These were folks that had traveled all over the US at varying locations re: disaster response efforts. On one particular occasion a young lady who had just worked w/ and elderly couple broke down in tears....she told me, Jan...When I am done w/ my job here I am going home packing my things and moving to Fargo N.D. and going to college here. She said this particular elderly couple, who had been displaced from their home had come to the center that day to return the rental assistance that they had recieved...a standard part of the initial disaster recovery is to assist folks by small checks...300.00 at that time. The folks persisted that they had been able to stay w/ their daughter, so did not need the rental assistance funds, and had gone to the trouble of coming down to the center to return that check. She said while she had been able to maintain her professional demeanor w/ them.....she could not hold it back outside visiting w/ me. She said, She had worked everywhere...all over the U.S. and had never met people that were more honest and deserving than N.D. people.
I have to agree. I was raised in Calif. I married a North Dakotan and moved here in 81. I love my home state, but the folks here are so down to earth, what we might call salt of the earth type folks. I have to say we do have crime, Fargo is a very large city....there are some big city issues. Our winter weather often sucks! But, you may find that the other good things far out weigh the weather. North Dakota is full of wonderful folks...you certainly might enjoy living here. There are civic groups, lots of interesting diverse shops and restaurants. A bit more culture in Fargo than in Grand Forks imo....But Grand Forks is more small town. If you do move here, I hope you find your niche. Safe passage....

Hello Jan.Thank you so much for such a nice as well as informative response.I lived in the Los Angeles area of Southern California.Boy do I miss in and out burger!(my ass doesn't)It was very nice of you to spend the time to send me such a nice story.I am looking for a place that I can call home.I have been residing in Florida as of late.I am in the process of selling my condo.Then it is time to hit the road once again.I should be up your way in about a month or so.Thanks again for your time....Bonnie

Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,454,406 times
You are very Welcome. Hope that you find the "special"place you are looking for.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You are very Welcome. Hope that you find the "special"place you are looking for.
Well Jan I hope that I find that "special" place too.Thanks again .Bonnie

Old 05-19-2012, 04:44 PM

35 posts, read 83,138 times
Love that story Jan. Lots here tend to get irritated with local things (myself included) but we need to stop and realize how good we really have it. The general people here are honest, down to earth, give-you-the-shirt-off-their-back kinda folk. No place can ever put a price on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or